GDT: Game #5 Kraken @ Devils 4pm PT/ 7pm ET

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Good effort and close, but close doesn't get you points.
Props to Donato for stepping up after the hit to the head (which could have been a major and tilted the game but is what it is). Not what you expect from him so big thumbs up. Team building 101.

Eberle has to be better. Most disappointing on this team so far.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Was the 5 road games to start the season scheduled as a buffer in case the arena wasn't finished? I've heard some talk that it would be a good thing since teams spend more time together on the road, but 5 games on the road to start as a franchise? Imagine if they came home after a 2 game road trip after a win in Nashville. This city would be PUMPED! Now they come home after 3 lackluster games. Although today was better, I was still underwhelmed. Anyways I'm nowhere near hitting the panic button and hoping it's just the bad schedule and they'll look better coming back home with a little rest. So happy that Yanni will be playing in the home opener. I'm stoked for Saturday!
Yanni headbang.gif

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The guys fought and it was too bad Wennberg's goal was slightly offside.

Nice to see Gourde back but I didn't get why McCann was sent to the third line instead of playing on Wennberg's wing.

Overall we need to be better with the puck cause we can't afford all those turnovers and chances for opponents.

BTW: D'Accord looked good, especially for a guy that was called up that day.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Nice to see Gourde back but I didn't get why McCann was sent to the third line instead of playing on Wennberg's wing.

Overall we need to be better with the puck cause we can't afford all those turnovers and chances for opponents.

MCann wasn't on the 3rd line. He was on the 2nd line. Wennberg went to the 3rd line. Tanev and Geekie were moved up to the 2nd line.

Yesterdays lines.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021

My best guess was that Geekie's been struggling on faceoffs this season, so McCann was shifted to that line to take draws and to spread out the offensive talent. That line really struggled though with a lot of time spent in the defensive zone and finished as a -3, but McCann still ended up with the 5th most ice time among our forwards.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
MCann wasn't on the 3rd line. He was on the 2nd line. Wennberg went to the 3rd line. Tanev and Geekie were moved up to the 2nd line.

Yesterdays lines.

TOI is a telling factor for "2nd vs. 3rd" line and Wennberg's line had greater TOI than McCann's line did.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
With the 1-3-1 record now, I'd like to point out that it's important to look over at the Islanders current rate of success on their long road trip to start the season. It happens.

It's also good to remind yourselves that the St. Louis Blues won the 2019 Stanley Cup. They were bottom dwellers as late as January. The first 5 games mean very little, particularly in the circumstance of Seattle where they are in a tight timeframe, all on the road and a brand new team... as ugly as their play against Philly was.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
On a separate note, I thought the game last night felt very... disconnected. Changing the lines around didn't work this time, and it'll take time to figure them out. Now, they haven't had a whole lot of days off to figure things out, so now they have 3. Thank goodness.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
My best guess was that Geekie's been struggling on faceoffs this season, so McCann was shifted to that line to take draws and to spread out the offensive talent. That line really struggled though with a lot of time spent in the defensive zone and finished as a -3, but McCann still ended up with the 5th most ice time among our forwards.

Well, I don't think McCann is all that much of a help on the faceoffs and would be good playing on Wennberg's wing who's a pass first guy.

Though, I hope that "goal" by Wennberg is an indication of things to come, cause he needs to shoot more.

On a separate note, I thought the game last night felt very... disconnected. Changing the lines around didn't work this time, and it'll take time to figure them out. Now, they haven't had a whole lot of days off to figure things out, so now they have 3. Thank goodness.

I though it looked pretty disconnected since Hakstol started shuffling lines and taking McCann off that first line.

I hope Gourde playing with Schwartz/Eberle helps that line and that Eberle finally scores one to break out of that slump and get going.

BTW: Like you've said.
We now have some time to work on a couple of things and that's badly needed.

It seems like the team has only one or one and a half ways of passing, zone entriey etc. and especially the Philly game showed that this is easy to defend(everyone knew where the passes were going before they were even attepmted) and that the team, currently, does not have a plan B.

BeniersIsKraken

Jul 24, 2021
Well, I don't think McCann is all that much of a help on the faceoffs and would be good playing on Wennberg's wing who's a pass first guy.

Though, I hope that "goal" by Wennberg is an indication of things to come, cause he needs to shoot more.

I though it looked pretty disconnected since Hakstol started shuffling lines and taking McCann off that first line.

I hope Gourde playing with Schwartz/Eberle helps that line and that Eberle finally scores one to break out of that slump and get going.

BTW: Like you've said.
We now have some time to work on a couple of things and that's badly needed.

It seems like the team has only one or one and a half ways of passing, zone entriey etc. and especially the Philly game showed that this is easy to defend(everyone knew where the passes were going before they were even attepmted) and that the team, currently, does not have a plan B.
Well he's a full 6 percentage points better than Geekie so far this season on a small sample size, so even 1 more faceoff win per game is useful.

I'd like to see McCann on that line with Wennberg and Donskoi as well, but that might not happen until Jarnkrok is available and can play on that struggling third line with Geekie and Tanev.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The thing is we don't have enough actually Centers that are good at the faceoff to really have McCann to be used as a winger.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The thing is we don't have enough actually Centers that are good at the faceoff to really have McCann to be used as a winger.

With Gourde back we now have Gourde, Wennberg, Geekie and Sheahan.

I'd like McCann on Wennberg's wing because he's one of the few that's actually looking to shoot(Wennberg has to start shooting more) and would profit from Wennberg's pass first game.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

I'd like McCann on Wennberg's wing because he's one of the few that's actually looking to shoot(Wennberg has to start shooting more) and would profit from Wennberg's pass first game.

I wasn't surpirse Geekie got moved to winger i was expecting that to happen

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yeah. I think McCann would work well on the wing. I would not be opposed to moving Eberle down to the 2nd line W and moving McCann to the top-line as W. Eberle and Dunn are the two big names that need to start playing better as well. Overall, I think I am pretty happy with most players individually.

Its just the team aspect that need some work .. and time

Reactions: Quackenator

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
McCann is better at C than on the wing. He's had his best production in the NHL when played at C vs at W. Wennberg I don't think has played any wing since he's been in the league. So it seems like the best thing to do would be to play both at C. I wouldn't label one as the 2C and the other 3C till one separates from the other. You would though give McCann more of the offensive zone starts and Wennberg defensive as that's where each perform better. You just got to find the right wingers for each which seems to be the issue right now.

Geekie has looked promising but needs to turn good looks into points. Appleton has been very underwhelming, looked primed to be breaking out after last season but can't find it this year. Bastian is playing hard and brings it every shift but not sure he's up for more than a 4th line banger role. One of those kids needs to really step up and take a middle 6 spot. Barre-Boulet could be another option especially to get the offense going but seems Hakstol isn't a fan of his defensive play as he's been sat then scratched since the 3rd period Columbus goal when he was out there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
McCann is better at C than on the wing. He's had his best production in the NHL when played at C vs at W. Wennberg I don't think has played any wing since he's been in the league. So it seems like the best thing to do would be to play both at C. I wouldn't label one as the 2C and the other 3C till one separates from the other. You would though give McCann more of the offensive zone starts and Wennberg defensive as that's where each perform better. You just got to find the right wingers for each which seems to be the issue right now.

Geekie has looked promising but needs to turn good looks into points. Appleton has been very underwhelming, looked primed to be breaking out after last season but can't find it this year. Bastian is playing hard and brings it every shift but not sure he's up for more than a 4th line banger role. One of those kids needs to really step up and take a middle 6 spot. Barre-Boulet could be another option especially to get the offense going but seems Hakstol isn't a fan of his defensive play as he's been sat then scratched since the 3rd period Columbus goal when he was out there.

He has certainly looked better over the last 2 games but he needs to start putting some points on the board for sure. I think the team has the individuals in place to be a good team. The missing piece is practice and time. Certainly hope these 3 full days between games helps them sort some of their issues out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad