Game #5 : KINGS vs. CANUCKS - 1/28/2013 : 3-2 Shootout WIN!

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The only SO goal that ended up going in was a simple shot from Carter. So many players just try to be cute or tricky when you can get it done with a solid shot in a typical goal scoring location.

Ron*

There is something to be said about seeing in person and seeing on TV with Bob and Jim's commentary.

Just my takes, watching the game in person:

1. Both Scuderi and Gagne appeared to be skating in sand tonight.

2. The referees and linesman have had better nights (at least, I sure hope so). The blown calls include the Carter save-from-icing-that-wasn't-thanks-to-the-linesman's-bad-vision, and the ridiculous boarding call on Gagne. The TV sound does not do the crowd's displeasure justice, Staples was extremely loud and unforgiving on the Gagne call. (They were also pissed on the Brown call, but it was a good call.)

3. Love to see Voynov get such a big goal in this game. I like that kid a lot.

4. I don't recall a come-from-behind-win at home all last season. It was good to see we can do it. Sometimes.

RonSwanson*

And for people who don't think Drew Doughty has been playing well, stop looking at the box score and watch the actual game. He's playing great defensively, he's logging the most ice time in the NHL and is shutting down the opposing team's top line. Just because he's not putting up numbers offensively, it doesn't mean he's not playing well

Yeah it's all the fantasy hockey players who are hating on Doughty.

RonSwanson*

Really impressed with the play of Gagne tonight. Started out on the 4th line and just kept moving up, to the point where he was on the ice in the final minute when Slava tied it.

With Penner back to last years Penner, Richards looking like Roenick, Brown and Williams struggling. Gagne could easily find a role on a scoring line.

I thought he played awful. Did absolutely nothing with the puck. I couldn't figure out why he kept getting more minutes at the end of the game.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kopitars attempt was ****ing awful.

Whenever he gets a breakaway in-game, he almost always scores, but in shootouts he almost always misses.

I'm not exaggerating either. I think hit literally scored on every breakaway he got last year including the playoffs, and somehow he only went 1 for 9 in the shoot out.

It's totally bizarre.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
<Bill Lumberg voice>Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.</officespace>

I know the boards opinion on his game tonight isn't the same as mine, and maybe seeing him on TV made him look better, but in person he was just bad. Physically, he skated slow, mentally he made bad decisions, soft plays, and mental errors. You could see the Canucks key in on him because of his play. It was tough to watch. He looked almost lost out there. I guess I need to see the whole game back on video to see if what I saw was way off, but it didn't look that way.

There is something to be said about seeing in person and seeing on TV with Bob and Jim's commentary.

2. The referees and linesman have had better nights (at least, I sure hope so). The blown calls include the Carter save-from-icing-that-wasn't-thanks-to-the-linesman's-bad-vision, and the ridiculous boarding call on Gagne. The TV sound does not do the crowd's displeasure justice, Staples was extremely loud and unforgiving on the Gagne call. (They were also pissed on the Brown call, but it was a good call.)

3. Love to see Voynov get such a big goal in this game. I like that kid a lot.

4. I don't recall a come-from-behind-win at home all last season. It was good to see we can do it. Sometimes.

When was the last time we scored with the goalie pulled? I remember us having a hard time with that last season.

KingKopitar11*

One thing I can say about the kings offense is that they are so attached to their own positions it never hurts to skate into the slot or the goalie. Our players should be skating more in the offensive zone

But man do we need some legitimate shooters. Williams doesn't have a special shot or a great shot, neither does brown or Richards. Watching the game I think we need more snipers many more. Like Carter. Maybe a Kessel as much as people don't think he'd fit the system I don't see Carter being a Sutter player either but he sure as hell scores. Or sit king and give Toffoli a chance, he has a shot. Overall I am glad we won. Just don't understand brown and his drop offs.

I really hate that Kopitar doesn't shoot he has a very good shot but man shoot the puck. Also someone said that Kopitar couldn't be an 80 point player? I think he can be if he had more confidence in his shot and If our PP didn't suck.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
Whenever he gets a breakaway in-game, he almost always scores, but in shootouts he almost always misses.

I'm not exaggerating either. I think hit literally scored on every breakaway he got last year including the playoffs, and somehow he only went 1 for 9 in the shoot out.

It's totally bizarre.

I think during a break away he's at top speed and makes instinctive moves, but on shootouts, he seems to try to slowly build up speed and plan it all out. I think he just needs that pressure coming from behind. Maybe something the coaches can work with him on.

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think during a break away he's at top speed and makes instinctive moves, but on shootouts, he seems to try to slowly build up speed and plan it all out. I think he just needs that pressure coming from behind. Maybe something the coaches can work with him on.

Couple of years ago Kopi was excellent in the shootouts. I think he was connecting on about 50% of his attempts. Very varied in his efforts. So I can understand why they keep throwing him out there.

Dustin Brown however, I don't get. He has never had much success at shootouts.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
When was the last time we scored with the goalie pulled? I remember us having a hard time with that last season.

Found it from lakingsinsider:
· The last time the Kings scored with the goalie pulled was Nov. 10, 2011 vs. Vancouver (Mike Richards)

I thought it felt like a long time. It's been over a year and two months. Funny, it was against Vancouver, too.

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
I actually saw some improvement on some players. Richards was not our worst player, not even near IMO. Brown made an improvement. Carter was flying. Kopitar was decent. Great game afterall, always happy to beat the Canucks!

Also, I think they really should try out the philly line. As we saw on the PP, they score immediatly haha. But no, seriously, one word, chemistry.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Couple of years ago Kopi was excellent in the shootouts. I think he was connecting on about 50% of his attempts. Very varied in his efforts. So I can understand why they keep throwing him out there.

Dustin Brown however, I don't get. He has never had much success at shootouts.

Brown is 16/52 for a 30.8% with 6 game deciding goals.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If any player is around 30% percent in the Shootout, He is ABOVE the league average.

If I recall, the NHL average is 24-27%.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Interesting, I thought Gagne was flying last night! In fact, I think Sutter saw the same thing...at some point he was promoted from the 4th line.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
Sorry if it's been discussed, but did Bob or Jim have an explanation for the call on Gagne, was it because of contact on an icing?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Even Brown started hitting near the end of the game, which is always his first step to getting back to form. He's streaky as hell and prone to being too cute with the puck, but once he cuts that out and starts throwing the body the points generally follow.

Williams is mired in another slow start as well, but he generally figures things out halfway through.

Gagne might have earned himself another start, with improved linemates I suspect. Another assist and on the ice for both goals for, including the final minute.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sorry if it's been discussed, but did Bob or Jim have an explanation for the call on Gagne, was it because of contact on an icing?

You can't make contact on icing. But Gagne was arguing that he was funneled into hitting the guy.

I thought Williams actually played a really good game. He is getting chances and creating. He has a had a few bonehead plays this year but I think overall his game has been good. Brown has been absolutely useless and borderline counterproductive at times. Not sure what you guys are seeing in Gagne but I saw a guy who skates good but so does Brad Richardson. He did nothing with the puck last night that warrants getting more time on the top lines unless you are just swapping out crap for crap. I'd definitely be cool with dropping Brown to the third line and giving Gagne a shot with Kopi/Williams. Richards is still sucking. Both him and Brown seem to be shying away from contact.

I thought the team overall played well last night but I also thought Vancouver played equally as poor. They were out of sync and the Kings were also beating them in a lot of puck battles (which they should since it was Van's 3rd game in 4 nights). Both teams were fighting poor ice but again, I always think that favors the Kings because they seem to know how to deal with it better.

I'm definitely encouraged with the performance in the last two games but some key guys really need to pull their heads out of their cornholes.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
You can't make contact on icing. But Gagne was arguing that he was funneled into hitting the guy.

I know, that's why I was wondering if that's what it was. It definitely seemed like he was stuck in that position between the two Canucks. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad