Pre-Game Talk: Game 5: Hawks vs Blues - 7:30 PM on WGN? - Kahun no more virgin edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I think it’s a good move for the present state. He’s struggling to score points on a line with the best RW in the game. He can play a shutdown role with Kruger because he is defensively responsible.

Also he might score some goals off the counter rush.

For some reason my brain thought it was last season when Saad was on Toews's line. I was like "Kahun is the best right-winger in the league....? THAT'S a take!" Hahaha.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Hayden showing grit against that Mannequin.

Giving everything to Q.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Actually fine with Qs lineup moves. Would have probably had Saad on the third with Anisimov and Hayden (maybe even Hayden and Fortin flipped?) but I think Q wants to send a message. Rutta doesn’t look like himself yet, don’t mind giving him some extra rest to get back to 100%.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Q's ass is on the line here too, he needs to make statements to everyone which should have been done last year. Saad going to the 4th line is fine for me, he needs to produce no matter how good I thought his effort was compared to the piss poor ones prior.

Fortin has speed, and speed creates opportunity, see if they can work well together, this is they type of thinking we were begging from Q last year, damn glad he is seeing things a bit differently this year.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Is Saad already the most disappointing player in his second stint with the Hawks?

Too soon to mean much yet, but my 3 player disappointments in this young season would be:
1/ Saad - as discussed
2/ Kampf - expected more after a decent rookie season. He just doesn't seem to be able to take the next step in his development
3/ Schmaltz - skates miles with little to show for it mainly because he refuses to go to the blue paint. It's frustrating to watch that untapped potential

Ruuta seems to be playing hurt so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Q's ass is on the line here too, he needs to make statements to everyone which should have been done last year. Saad going to the 4th line is fine for me, he needs to produce no matter how good I thought his effort was compared to the piss poor ones prior.

Fortin has speed, and speed creates opportunity, see if they can work well together, this is they type of thinking we were begging from Q last year, damn glad he is seeing things a bit differently this year.

The last time we saw Fortin playing in the top 6 in Chicago was in his first preseason as a teenager. He excelled, but it was still preseason. What a tremendous opportunity for him to show he belongs.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Too soon to mean much yet, but my 3 player disappointments in this young season would be:
1/ Saad - as discussed
2/ Kampf - expected more after a decent rookie season. He just doesn't seem to be able to take the next step in his development
3/ Schmaltz - skates miles with little to show for it mainly because he refuses to go to the blue paint. It's frustrating to watch that untapped potential

Ruuta seems to be playing hurt so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Interesting you mentioned Schmaltz. I was listening to the Rink’s new podcast (Gatekeeper and the HF’s favorite punching-bag, JJ), and they railed on Schmaltz’ play so far this season.

Basically said he does nothing that you need out of a 2C, and there’s no way he’s showing that he’s worth a 6 year-$36 million deal.

They said he doesn’t go to the net, like you said, and that he loafs on defense like Kane does.

They raised some other issues with him, including face-offs in the offensive zone, but I don’t remember all off the top of my head.

I can go back and find out their gripes with Schmaltz, if people are interested in that.

Point is, they see the same thing you’re seeing.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Interesting you mentioned Schmaltz. I was listening to the Rink’s new podcast (Gatekeeper and the HF’s favorite punching-bag, JJ), and they railed on Schmaltz’ play so far this season.

Basically said he does nothing that you need out of a 2C, and there’s no way he’s showing that he’s worth a 6 year-$36 million deal.

They said he doesn’t go to the net, like you said, and that he loafs on defense like Kane does.

They raised some other issues with him, including face-offs in the offensive zone, but I don’t remember all off the top of my head.

I can go back and find out their gripes with Schmaltz, if people are interested in that.

Point is, they see the same thing you’re seeing.
almost all of these points were complained about for Joe Thornton for years...these types of players are polarizing, but they play a different style of game that people love to pick a part. when they are on, they are near unstoppable, but when their line isn't producing, they take a lot of shit.

I do not agree 1 ounce with the defensive play of Schmaltz, he backchecks like a MFer, maybe a few times he gets caught looking to head up the ice early, but his defensive play has been more than fine for me.

He does not nor will go to the net, and nor do I want him too, that isn't his style and never has been lol...you can't turn players into grinders when they are playmakers. I don't want him getting hacked a part in there, it is not his game.

He needs to shoot a heck of a lot more, needs to work on his face offs as well...those are legit gripes...outside of that, he has 4 points in 4 games, can he do more? absolutely, but is he a top 3 problem right now? no chance.

And I am not saying this against you Roar, you are just the messenger so that is 100% understood.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
almost all of these points were complained about for Joe Thornton for years...these types of players are polarizing, but they play a different style of game that people love to pick a part. when they are on, they are near unstoppable, but when their line isn't producing, they take a lot of ****.

I do not agree 1 ounce with the defensive play of Schmaltz, he backchecks like a MFer, maybe a few times he gets caught looking to head up the ice early, but his defensive play has been more than fine for me.

He does not nor will go to the net, and nor do I want him too, that isn't his style and never has been lol...you can't turn players into grinders when they are playmakers. I don't want him getting hacked a part in there, it is not his game.

He needs to shoot a heck of a lot more, needs to work on his face offs as well...those are legit gripes...outside of that, he has 4 points in 4 games, can he do more? absolutely, but is he a top 3 problem right now? no chance.

And I am not saying this against you Roar, you are just the messenger so that is 100% understood.

Ya, not taking it as anything against me.

Bobby’s post was just the second time today I’ve heard someone ripping Schmaltz’ play, so I was wondering whether everyone was seeing the same.

I haven’t had a chance to actually watch the games, I’ve only been able to listen on the radio so far. So I haven’t been able to see for myself yet.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ya, not taking it as anything against me.

Bobby’s post was just the second time today I’ve heard someone ripping Schmaltz’ play, so I was wondering whether everyone was seeing the same.

I haven’t had a chance to actually watch the games, I’ve only been able to listen on the radio so far. So I haven’t been able to see for myself yet.

and some of those issues are valid because Schmaltz brings it on himself at times. I keep using a guy like Thornton, but he literally was run out of town in Boston and for a few years people got sick of him in SJ for many of these same reasons...playmakers are simply different..they see the game different and play the game different no matter how much we bitch and moan and want them to change, they will only make minor adjustments.

many of those people that I hear from now that trashed Thornton speak more fondly of him now and wish they weren't so critical of his game...Schmaltz has been playing this way for 15 years already, it has gotten him to the show and as a potential 70 point player- don't think he is going to change his style to take more hits, go to the net which actually limits his vision for the sake of pleasing others...just my 2 cents.

and ironically, I thought Schmaltz played better last night than the game prior as he was actually cranking up a few shots out there, he looked like he wants to start shooting more which IMO will eliminate a lot of whatever heat he gets if he starts shooting and scoring more goals...simple right?? lol

migi

Feb 25, 2015
In my honest option I think Schmaltz was pretty mediocre offensively in first three games. Against Wild he was much better.

Defensively he does his basic stuff but by no means he is VERY good defensively. He is okey. He is at his best defensively when he is back-checking but in Dzone without the puck I dont see anything what some people see. He is okey there, better than Kane.

Like mini-Kuznetsov.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
and some of those issues are valid because Schmaltz brings it on himself at times. I keep using a guy like Thornton, but he literally was run out of town in Boston and for a few years people got sick of him in SJ for many of these same reasons...playmakers are simply different..they see the game different and play the game different no matter how much we ***** and moan and want them to change, they will only make minor adjustments.

many of those people that I hear from now that trashed Thornton speak more fondly of him now and wish they weren't so critical of his game...Schmaltz has been playing this way for 15 years already, it has gotten him to the show and as a potential 70 point player- don't think he is going to change his style to take more hits, go to the net which actually limits his vision for the sake of pleasing others...just my 2 cents.

and ironically, I thought Schmaltz played better last night than the game prior as he was actually cranking up a few shots out there, he looked like he wants to start shooting more which IMO will eliminate a lot of whatever heat he gets if he starts shooting and scoring more goals...simple right?? lol

Isn’t a center the most natural player positionally to crash the net, and playmakers go to the outside?

Thornton is good at draws, so that’s probably a factor in him being a center. But doesn’t Pavelski also fill the center role sometimes when he’s with Thornton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad