GDT: Game #5|Fri., Oct. 11 2013|Coyotes at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Talbot is far better than Rosehill defensively and in keeping up with the play and I don't really think Rinaldo needs protection. In fact, I don't really see why we need Rosehill out there unless the other team is full of heavyweight goons looking to start trouble i.e. Toronto.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Talbot is far better than Rosehill defensively and in keeping up with the play and I don't really think Rinaldo needs protection. In fact, I don't really see why we need Rosehill out there unless the other team is full of heavyweight goons looking to start trouble i.e. Toronto.

I never said anything about Talbot being not as good as Rosehill? Talbot should be a fourth line player though that can play short handed and jump on the third line in emergency roles. I do see Rosehill as a need though in the regular season. You don't want another game like the Pittsburgh one where Neal went after both Couts and Giroux. You don't have to be a goon to be giving cheap shots out there. I am not saying it wouldn't have happened with Rosehill out there, I am just saying there is a smaller chance.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That happened in the playoffs when everyone's emotions were ratcheted up, and when Rosehill wouldn't be playing according to your plan.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
That happened in the playoffs when everyone's emotions were ratcheted up, and when Rosehill wouldn't be playing according to your plan.

I thought it was the game before the playoffs? I could be wrong though. And it isn't just my plan, a lot of teams use that strategy and it has been happening for years.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I am one of the people wanting Gagne back to put with Couts. Gagne/Couts/Read would be looking a lot better than Talbot/Couts/Read and it would have done a lot for his development on the offensive side.

I was also hoping they re-signed Gagne, but that ship seems to have sailed, especially with Homer's "shutting the door" comment. At this point I hope Homer's working on a trade/signing to bring in someone for the top 9, which would bump Talbot to the 4th line and keep Rosehill from playing.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Rosehill really needs to visit the pressbox for at least the next few games. I can live with Newbury - Hall - Rinaldo, but am anxious (like most here) to see a 2-way threat on the 3rd line and Talbot being the best player on the 4th line.

Oh, and Gustafsson in, too, please.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yes, please. He deserves his shot. Unless they are trying to "showcase" Mez :)shakehead), it's puzzling that he's getting so much playing time.

Also hope Kimmo gets his act together.

Here's the showcase they should be using for Meszaros:

black-museum-showcase-display-case-lights-bktr411.jpg

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
Feels great having a goalie in the top 10 in save percentage. Hoping Steve Mason can keep up the hot play while our offense starts to get their s*** together.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I don't see why we can't bench Rosehill and dress 7 dmen.

I'd also consider dressing 7 defenseman if this means easing Gus into the game before he gets too rusty. He could also skate the occasional shift as a 4th line winger with Hall and Rinaldo and play a shutdown forward role.
They could at least give it a try in some of the games where there is no enforcer dressed for the other team. Having 2 defensemen sitting out the whole season in the press box can't be their plan... or are they still trying to force a trade involving Mesz?

Also Newbury can play the whole energy guy role just as good and add better passing and skating than Rosehill.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
More skating through pucks and less reaching for them would do wonder for the one on one battles that they're currently losing. They better come prepared to put in the work, or Phoenix is going to walk out with two points. Tippet will have his guys ready to go.

It'll be nice to finally get to watch OEL with my undivided attention. Such a great talent from my limited viewings of him.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Which goalie plays better vs the Wings ? I would start the other vs the Yotes and go with other vs Wings.

I would think that Mason would be better vs the Wings as he is quicker which should help vs the Wings skill ?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Which goalie plays better vs the Wings ? I would start the other vs the Yotes and go with other vs Wings.

I would think that Mason would be better vs the Wings as he is quicker which should help vs the Wings skill ?

Agreed. Phoenix doesn't have the offensive talent to exploit Emery's lack of lateral movement like Detroit does. Start Emery against the Yotes, and come back with Mason on Saturday against the Wings.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I bet they roll with Mason against Emery to reward him for winning the game. Then play Emery against Detroit.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Keep up the pace. This is a much better team than Florida. Hopefully the two days of practice really made a difference, especially in the PP. I'd say Mason against Phoenix and then Emery against Detroit.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Phoenix has a game tonight while we haven't played since Tuesday. Hopefully we attack them early and get a good start.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yes, please. He deserves his shot. Unless they are trying to "showcase" Mez :)shakehead), it's puzzling that he's getting so much playing time.

Also hope Kimmo gets his act together.

It really isn't. Mez is the HF Boards whipping boy, but the coaching staff thinks differently of him. I know it is hard to believe, because most of the people posting on here are watching Mez on an ISO Cam the entire time he is on the ice and critiquing him with a trained and unbiased eye, but it appears the coaching staff thinks he is playing well enough to get those minutes. Otherwise, you know, he wouldn't be getting those minutes. Unless you are going to tell me that they know he isn't playing well and they know there are better options...but they still play him because they are stupid or because they hate Gus or something like that.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
It really isn't. Mez is the HF Boards whipping boy, but the coaching staff thinks differently of him. I know it is hard to believe, because most of the people posting on here are watching Mez on an ISO Cam the entire time he is on the ice and critiquing him with a trained and unbiased eye, but it appears the coaching staff thinks he is playing well enough to get those minutes. Otherwise, you know, he wouldn't be getting those minutes. Unless you are going to tell me that they know he isn't playing well and they know there are better options...but they still play him because they are stupid or because they hate Gus or something like that.

I would like to see Couturier on the point on the 2nd PP over Meszaros. One of them won't be here past his season. Couturier has not shown much in that position yet, but Meszaros hasn't looked useful on the pp so far.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

It's pretty undeniable that Luke Schenn should be getting more minutes then him. It's beyond me why they're giving him so much playing time but let's not pretend like we're all just ignoring the bad play of everyone else and picking on Meszaros. Everybody has acknowledged almost everyone is playing badly. The difference with Meszaros is that he's consistently bad yet gets major ice-time over guys that deserve it more.

You're acting like coaches can't make mistakes in regards to lineup decisions nor ice-time. If that were true they wouldn't be human nor would Jay Rosehill exist in this lineup.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would like to see Couturier on the point on the 2nd PP over Meszaros. One of them won't be here past his season. Couturier has not shown much in that position yet, but Meszaros hasn't looked useful on the pp so far.

Mez has ripped a couple big bombs from the point on the PP. He hasn't looked great, but the PP as a whole has been pretty bad. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him off and throwing someone else out there, but I also have no problem with Mez being there at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad