GDT: Game 5: Flames @ Stars 3:30 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
what would be the expected outcome if you don't have a 1st line and have a minor league coach?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think there were enough encouraging signs in the second half of the game to suggest that this series isn't over yet. Just need to capitalize on chances.

the most encouraging think i see is the Stars think they have won and sit back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That 3rd period was all score effects. If the game is tied, Dallas doesn't relinquish control as easily.

It's also funny because Dallas didn't have any dangerous scoring chances all game. They just had a lot of the puck. If Dube doesn't try to dangle himself and if Hanifin remembers how take a pass then this could be a 0-0 game heading to OT

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
We need Hartley back. He had them buy in and give a f*** for 60 minutes

B-b-b-bbut he hurt their feelings sometimes. And had Jonas Hiller turn in one of the worst goaltending seasons I've ever watched.

I would bring back Hartley tomorrow. Ward is way too nonchalant with this group.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Flames should not be proud of anything in that game. If the coaching staff does not drive home that this effort was not good enough, then we're cooked. Zero urgency, zero desperation. Lost every race, every battle, and zero execution.

I will say that this was the first competently reffed playoff game the Flames have played in a LOONG time. More of that for game 6, please. Let the players decide who wins and I'll take whatever outcome.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau - Bennett - Ryan
Lucic - Monahan - Dube
Mangiapane - Backlund - Lindholm
Reider - Quine - Jankowski

How do I manifest this?

IDK, I've been praying for that top line for like over a year. Maybe a rain dance?

I would be concerned with Lucic and Monahan on the same line though, maybe switch Lucic and Mangiapane?

Jagrmeister 68proof

Oct 8, 2017
I would like to say that we can turn it around but i would be lying. We may do it for a game or two but even that is not realistic. Being unable to raise your game when it matters the most is what a true athlete is suppose to do. But these guys don't know how to do that. And if a team or a group can't play with more urgence then they don't deserve to be there in the first place. Our team has been too complacent for too long. And at this point I am not sure if its fixable with the group we have. Actually management and coaching falls in the same boat. You need people to care if want to achieve more than mediocrity. Singling out one or two players is not the solution or the answer. Hey if guys are ok with it then cut bait and start fresh.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Destroyed all over the ice, just like last year. The only difference is that Colorado did not have trouble converting.

Some kind of a team Tre has built, and that head coach..woof.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I do love your optimism. There needs to be one positive person on these boards cause the rest of think this time is shite.

It isn't optimistic to hope that a team that has already beaten Dallas twice can do it again. It would be optimistic to expect that (which I wouldn't dare at this point), but to hope so is merely the essence of being a fan.

To acknowledge that the series isn't over is realism, not optimism.

Reactions: Janks

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think coaching deserves the blame for not making any changes to the line-up but outside of that, I don't think 04 Darryl Sutter could get anything out of this group.

We have players in their roles that are doing the right things consistently (Bennett, Brodie, Backlund, Ryan, Talbot, maybe Lucic altho clock is nearing 12).

We have players who are learning and growing (Mangiapane, Dube).

But the rest of the team just doesn't have that extra gear. How does Geoff Ward bring that out of them? By tinkering with the lines? Being a cheerleader in the locker-room?

We saw an example of good hockey being played against the Jets. Geoff Ward didn't tear up those notes because we did the same things in game 1 of this series. Our guys just can't continue that intensity.

I'm all for a Gallant or a Laviolette because they're better coaches than Ward. But this core is just monumentally flawed and we've invested in the wrong guys, while trying to trade away a couple guys who are our best players right now.

It's time to move big names

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I like that at the end of the game Andersson started shooting, Dallas has generated most of their goals through their defence, our guys almost refuse to shoot the puck.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think coaching deserves the blame for not making any changes to the line-up but outside of that, I don't think 04 Darryl Sutter could get anything out of this group.

We have players in their roles that are doing the right things consistently (Bennett, Brodie, Backlund, Ryan, Talbot, maybe Lucic altho clock is nearing 12).

We have players who are learning and growing (Mangiapane, Dube).

But the rest of the team just doesn't have that extra gear. How does Geoff Ward bring that out of them? By tinkering with the lines? Being a cheerleader in the locker-room?

We saw an example of good hockey being played against the Jets. Geoff Ward didn't tear up those notes because we did the same things in game 1 of this series. Our guys just can't continue that intensity.

I'm all for a Gallant or a Laviolette because they're better coaches than Ward. But this core is just monumentally flawed and we've invested in the wrong guys, while trying to trade away a couple guys who are our best players right now.

It's time to move big names

I disagree, personally. I think just about everyone on our roster is currently playing below where they would expect in terms of their track record of performance. Watching them play, I really think the pitfalls of this team are systematic. I think they spend too much time trying to figure out the right play and they get run over and look bad because the other team knows where to go and what to do most of the time.

I think in our current situation, looking to do one big trade would be fine as long as we don't settle, but I also think it would be worthwhile to put this group under one of the big names, get them all on the same page in a tight system and see how that goes for at least half a season.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Disgusting. What the hell happened to Lindholm? He better be playing partially paralyzed or have some sort of legit injury excuse because he has ghosted so hard.

Reactions: DFF

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Ward and Huska need to be let go, Monahan needs to be moved (hell just split him apart from 13), Gio needs to get his minutes cut, Forbort can leave. Please for the love of god Brad go after one of the three big ticket coaches available. Heart wants me to hope for a win on Thursday but the head says we're gonna get blown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->