Goal-Day Thread Game 5: Everything is Missing: AZ at MIN - 5PM - NBCSN

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
As much as I'd like to see us score some goals, I'm not sure I want Galchenyuk back. I'd rather not rush him and if he we can't score goals without him I don't see him completely changing our offense. We're going to be in big trouble soon with or without him.
If Galchenyuk comes back and immediately scores a goal or two, I think it might get other parts of the offence going too. Hell, maybe even the illusion of our offence getting stronger with him on the roster might help others get some confidence back. But I agree, we shouldn't rush him back.

Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is not a surprise to me at all . This team is full of perimeter pillow punchers. You saw Perlini actually try tonight and he's a big body that can go to the net but generally he's a pretty soft player. A good budding player but soft.
This is not RT's fault. Chyka put together this team. Watch NHL games , most goals are scored by guys being or going to the net. Whacking, battling, deflecting shots getting rebound. The coyotes are the worst ever that I've seen for this.

They remind me a lot of how the Oilers have constructed teams. Lots of first round soft type talent. Nugent-Hopkins snowflakes.

It's going to be a long year. They will start scoring goals. Interesting that Alex is waiting to come in to play. Another floater who can score. Who did we trade him for? one of our only gritty/talented guys Domi.
Lastly how does anyone know McLean is a lousy assistant? Why are people wanting an assistant fired? Baffling. He's the least of any of our issues.

And maybe that is the reason why teams have to have some "veteran" presence. This is probably a typical scenario. Young player comes into the league and has all the ability in the world. Then, the physical side of the game starts coming along and you have to go to the tough areas of the ice to get rewarded. Easy to show video of other teams doing that but when our video doesn't have any players doing that within our system, kind of hard to apply teaching and/or learning moments.

I don't necessarily know if we are a "soft" team - I don't know if we have people who are comfortable enough with the system to be more than "soft" at this point either.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If you listened to pre-game interview, Keller said RT is hard on them. I have no doubt RT is hard on them..that is who RT was as a player and I am sure as a coach. That said, he is trying to keep up their morale. I still feel RT is the right guy. The team looks IMO 10x bettter than it looked at the beginning of last season. The problem is, as two former Coyotes said in the pre-game, we don't have enough skill. If we had more skill, we would see much better results. RT is doing all he can with the personnel he has. And he has said he didn't want to make drastic line changes likely because IMO he was expecting Galy and Dvo to be back sooner than they have. That said, I expect drastic line changes next game. For some of you, sounds like you long for NOT Nelson or Beudreau (Minn had only won 1 game before tonight too and couldn't score) but for Tippett. I don't think we want to go backwards. We just need to add some skill...and quickly or this season is done in a few games.

There are two issues with this logic.

First of all, RT may be hard on them, but that doesn't guarantee gaining the right response out of the team, either. I can bag skate you every practice until I see better effort, but better effort doesn't always equate to an uptick in wins or losses.

Secondly, you and others have stated that the team needs additional talent. Hasn't that been repeated ad nauseam for the last 6 years? Talent levels can fluctuate, but as has been discussed earlier - when in the last 6 years has our talent level ever been this good? Collectively, we have the best group of players iced in probably 15 years, and yet we still have less to show for it. We could easily say that if we had more skill in the Tippett years that we would have better results as well, so I am not certain that we can rehash the same excuse over and over when we have an upgrade in talent this year over many of the previous years. That's when it sounds like we are making excuses when we have no others to make. The team looks good in all metrics except for Ws and Ls. I will take a dirty win over a clean loss any day, and we just cant get over the hump of getting some dirty wins taken care of these days.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't think Tocchet is the coach for this team. I definitely know that MaClean sucks ass

The problem is what happened in the second half of last season. Once the pressure to be in the same zip code as the playoffs was gone, the team did fine. So the seat cooled down a whole lot - which means, like him or not, we're probably stuck with Tocchet for the near term.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Sloppy game. Goligoski is weak and soft. Demers is lazy and apathetic. OEL is asleep. Our vets are absolutely a problem. They are all about to take off the first 20 games of the season AGAIN./QUOTE]

I think this has been our biggest problem since we lack offensive skill, we need the d to get the puck to the net where our forwards are already in position to make something happen. I think a lot of this is on OEL. He has been absolutely terrible so far. You can't have a passive leader. He always starts like this so hopefully he will flip the switch. Jordan actually generated a few shots on net that were legitimately threatening. That is what we need. And damn it man, even hammer needs to take a one timer as opposed to his patented gather, fake pump, then blocked wrister. How many slap shots have we even taken aside from oesterle???

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
As much as I'd like to see us score some goals, I'm not sure I want Galchenyuk back. I'd rather not rush him and if he we can't score goals without him I don't see him completely changing our offense. We're going to be in big trouble soon with or without him.

That being said, if we can throw a few win streaks together throughout that season this is easily fixable. Even if we go 1-8. Lots of teams have made miraculous season turnarounds after people thought they were out of it and still made the playoffs. That's my hope right now. We need to start scoring before Galchenyuk comes back.

Which teams are you referring to....and did they go winless in the first 11 games the year before?

This is not a surprise to me at all . This team is full of perimeter pillow punchers. You saw Perlini actually try tonight and he's a big body that can go to the net but generally he's a pretty soft player. A good budding player but soft.
This is not RT's fault. Chyka put together this team. Watch NHL games , most goals are scored by guys being or going to the net. Whacking, battling, deflecting shots getting rebound. The coyotes are the worst ever that I've seen for this.

They remind me a lot of how the Oilers have constructed teams. Lots of first round soft type talent. Nugent-Hopkins snowflakes.

It's going to be a long year. They will start scoring goals. Interesting that Alex is waiting to come in to play. Another floater who can score. Who did we trade him for? one of our only gritty/talented guys Domi.
Lastly how does anyone know McLean is a lousy assistant? Why are people wanting an assistant fired? Baffling. He's the least of any of our issues.

Remind me how many goals Domi scored last two years?

I thought OEL is playing pretty good this year. It"s the rest of the D I'm concerned about.

OEL is playing better than he did at this point last year but that ain't saying much. He just signed a $66 million contract and was made captain. We have scored a whopping 3 goals in 5 games..none of them by OEL who is once again turning over puck at too fast a rate for me. But more importantly he has not led by example. He needs to step up his game big time because we all know he is not going to lead with his words.

Our D gets a lot of their shots blocked. We have not adjusted as this has happened all year.

I agree.

If Galchenyuk comes back and immediately scores a goal or two, I think it might get other parts of the offence going too. Hell, maybe even the illusion of our offence getting stronger with him on the roster might help others get some confidence back. But I agree, we shouldn't rush him back.

I agree we can only hope.

Boedker has 5 points
Domi has 4 points
Duclair has 3 points
Martinook has 3 points
DeAngelo has 2 points

If only we had the high end talent they're working with in Ottawa, Montreal, Carolina, and New York...

Not sure if this is a joke? The only team that made playoffs last year on your list is Columbus. And New York this year is almost as bad as the Yotes. Let's see what the former Yotes points are 20 games in.

There are two issues with this logic.

First of all, RT may be hard on them, but that doesn't guarantee gaining the right response out of the team, either. I can bag skate you every practice until I see better effort, but better effort doesn't always equate to an uptick in wins or losses.

Secondly, you and others have stated that the team needs additional talent. Hasn't that been repeated ad nauseam for the last 6 years? Talent levels can fluctuate, but as has been discussed earlier - when in the last 6 years has our talent level ever been this good? Collectively, we have the best group of players iced in probably 15 years, and yet we still have less to show for it. We could easily say that if we had more skill in the Tippett years that we would have better results as well, so I am not certain that we can rehash the same excuse over and over when we have an upgrade in talent this year over many of the previous years. That's when it sounds like we are making excuses when we have no others to make. The team looks good in all metrics except for Ws and Ls. I will take a dirty win over a clean loss any day, and we just cant get over the hump of getting some dirty wins taken care of these days.

In response to 1st paragraph, not sure what your point is? Read my earlier posts. No one said RT was bag skating. As for DT, if he had more talent he might have gotten us better results. We'll never know....

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I loved everything besides the lack of offense.

There were stretches where it looked like AZ has been the superior team in most of the games we played. Once that clicks, we could be a dangerous team

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Boedker has 5 points
Domi has 4 points
Duclair has 3 points
Martinook has 3 points
DeAngelo has 2 points

If only we had the high end talent they're working with in Ottawa, Montreal, Carolina, and New York...

I am not worried at all about any of these players being "the one who got away."

Whatever's at issue with this team is systemic, like a chronic disease state. The cast of players may change but the malaise remains. Martinook has had hot starts before and cooled off considerably as the season wore on. DeAngelo and Duclair will score as long as they feel like playing, but sadly enough their motivation is too spotty for stardom. Domi? I still love Max. But let's see how hot he is a couple of months from now when the Bleu Blanc et Rouge start ramping up their legitimately insane fan demands.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This team is very fun to watch but frustrating because they cant seem to shoot the puck with any level of confidence.

RT should do what my high school travel coach did. After the first period of a game, he flipped a table and started questioning if any of us even liked hockey. Totally lost his ****. We played a lot better after that moment.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
SmartSelect_20181017-121213_Gallery.gif
Here is a high quality chance the Wild create with a little hesitation with the puck carrier as he enters the zone. It allowed parise a little more time to get in a better position with an open net. This is usually when Keller shines, when he gains the zone. He has an unbelievable skill of slowing it down and hitting a trailing player. Instead of gaining the zone and just throwing a prayer at net, we need some composure and make more plays like these. Granted, they had a 3 on 2 with Crouse just trailing behind, but they had the composure to create a grade A scoring chance that would have been unsavable.

Reactions: SniperHF

cobra427

May 6, 2012
No, no. The Wild literally only had 10 forwards. And they played the night before. This is not at all the same.
30 year olds in world class shape early in the season, not a factor on back to backs, down a few forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->