GDT: Game 5: Coyotes @ Jets - 5PM - FSAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He doesn’t have the hands of a scorer.
Or the consistency, urgency, or special teams prowess you want from a fourth liner. Still time for him to put things together, but the window is rapidly closing. Not sure he brings much in return, and we already lack size, so you might as well ride it out and cross your fingers.

Reactions: Jakey53

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Just finished watching the game - great win, their solid play is translating into points.

Darcy "2 goals or less" Kuemper is just playing so so well. The Yotes have a great goaltending tandem. No worries there.

The D impressed me, thought Capobianco played well...but moreso Demers and Goligoski, especially near the end of the game. The vets are coming through.

Lastly, the offense. Happy to see they got 4 tonight, the gifted grinders are finding the back of the net.
Since Schmaltz is hot right now, and he and Keller have chemistry, I think Tocchet needs to put Schmaltz on the top line with Keller and Kessel.
Stepan will work on another line, he adapts. But we need a killer first line...and need to get Kessel going!!!

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Yeppa, the Jets curse ended right now.

Whats wrong with Keller!?
He‘s not making the next step he has to.

He's definitely filling out on the defensive side of the puck, minus Colorado OT, but I'd be surprised if he scores 15 goals. Similar to last season, he just floats to the boards, like a 4th liner just trying to get the puck in deep. I want to see him wheel around the top of the zone more a'la Patrick Kane. I'm sure Kessel will give him some pointers because he loves hitting the brakes once he gains the zone, then hunts for that middle ice. His points are there, but for that contract, we don't need 50 assists, we need some goals.

Reactions: AJ171181

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Fun game to watch us finally break that streak in Winnipeg. Garland getting that late goal in the first was huge, imo.

Dvo... His first goal pissed me off to be honest. Had a really good shot on net and tried to pass it instead and passed it straight to a Winnipeg player who happened to put it into the net. Lucky... But ridiculous to try and pass up that shot.

Sometimes it just takes a lucky bounce to break the seal though....so I'll take it.

Speaking of:Keller really needs to finish one of these little breakaways (to echo others). It's getting frustrating to see those prime chances squandered again and again. Also, Kessel needs to also bury one and break that seal too...

Those are my little drawbacks to harp on lol. Otherwise... Happy the team competed well and played a solid overall game. So I'll just be happy and excited for Thursday!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
5 games out of 5 games this season where our team worked very hard over all three periods and was at least as good as the opposition of as least as many minutes of the game
I feel like there are still too many times we start spectating. But we are
also light years away from where we started a couple years ago. Definitely a more entertaining team.

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
I think the game against the Avs and this one shows that we are a really, really, like incredibly, fast team. Opponents are having a hard time with the fore check, I would imagine that once we start facing up against lesser opponents, we should have an easier time with them this year.

Last edited:

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I just watched the highlights and i am impressed.
We are a hard working, good team and we showed tonight that we can shoot goals and win a game :D

Reactions: Name Nameless

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I thought the game was played too fast for Chychrun .... he can't seem to think that fast..

Garland working hard every shift.

Schmaltz is as well surprisingly.

Kessel is doing what i expected... most offensive players that come here dont put up the numbers they do elsewhere.
However he is making up for it with his play

I would like to see Kessel and Keller separated... I was thinking Scmaltz and Keller , however Schmaltz seems to be fine where he is. Not sure the answer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Or the consistency, urgency, or special teams prowess you want from a fourth liner. Still time for him to put things together, but the window is rapidly closing. Not sure he brings much in return, and we already lack size, so you might as well ride it out and cross your fingers.
Just keep him off the PP.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought the game was played too fast for Chychrun .... he can't seem to think that fast..

Garland working hard every shift.

Schmaltz is as well surprisingly.

Kessel is doing what i expected... most offensive players that come here dont put up the numbers they do elsewhere.
However he is making up for it with his play

I would like to see Kessel and Keller separated... I was thinking Scmaltz and Keller , however Schmaltz seems to be fine where he is. Not sure the answer.
I wonder if Chick has lost a step from injuries. He doesn't look as fast as before, not moving his feet or carrying the puck as much, but Oesterle I guess does that on that pairing.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
On a lighter note, not sure I've ever seen a player as gassed as Kessel at the end of that 2nd period! He looked like he could barely hold his stick. Check out the pressure!
SmartSelect_20191016-073725_Gallery.gif

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Just finished watching the game - great win, their solid play is translating into points.

Darcy "2 goals or less" Kuemper is just playing so so well. The Yotes have a great goaltending tandem. No worries there.

The D impressed me, thought Capobianco played well...but moreso Demers and Goligoski, especially near the end of the game. The vets are coming through.

Lastly, the offense. Happy to see they got 4 tonight, the gifted grinders are finding the back of the net.
Since Schmaltz is hot right now, and he and Keller have chemistry, I think Tocchet needs to put Schmaltz on the top line with Keller and Kessel.
Stepan will work on another line, he adapts. But we need a killer first line...and need to get Kessel going!!!
So break up what's working with Schmaltz , garland and Dvorek to get him with Keller (who you claim have chemistry?).
Makes no sense.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So break up what's working with Schmaltz , garland and Dvorek to get him with Keller (who you claim have chemistry?).
Makes no sense.
If you want to get Keller going, and Kessel for that matter, take Stepan off that line. I was going to say put DVO there,but his line is doing well, so I guess you might try Soderberg. Any way you look at it we don't have a 1 C and that sucks.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Makes no sense.

I think we're early enough in the season to play different lines for a few games to see if any of the top guys have chemistry with anyone else. Its perfectly possible that Schmaltz and Garland could be succesful with different linemates and it could mean that Keller and Kessel get better. Its also possible that they dont. But that top line isnt doing a ton. Yeah their play isnt bad but a top line needs to be producing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad