Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Caps vs. Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
At the risk of looking like more of an idiot than usual I'm going to say we are going to crush them this game.

I am getting a vibe like I got from the Islander series a few years back.

In that series we started off terribly and got better as the games went on.

We came out in game 1 then and were atrocious and couldn't complete a pass. Holtby had the flu. We started game 2 terribly as well but rebounded and dominated the 2nd half.

Flip the results of those 1st two games and we are onto something.

In game 3 in NY we were outplayed and lost pretty quickly in OT. Sound familiar?

In game 4 we played better and won (albeit that one was in OT where as we got a close one in score only)

The turning point in game 4 of that series? Tom Wilson! He crushed Vishnovsky and destroyed their morale. Game 4 vs Leafs? Wilson makes two great plays on one end and turns them into goals on the other.

In game 5 we crushed them. I sense the nerves have departed.

Destruction afoot

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
If we are seriously thinking about penguins, its the best time for our D and Holtby to show up. Leafs scoring nearly 4 goals per game is a joke and I don't give a *** that their offense is good. Its still unacceptable.

3-0, 3-1 would be perfect for me.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Apply more pressure to their D and their bottom 6 forwards when they're handling puck in their own zone. These guys were a pizza delivery machine much of the year - and we need to start ordering out.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Apply more pressure to their D and their bottom 6 forwards when they're handling puck in their own zone. These guys were a pizza delivery machine much of the year - and we need to start ordering out.

6-2 Caps. Burnination. MJ with 2 goals. Andersen pulled. Me polishing off a 12 pack by the 3rd.

Glorious victory

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Look at what hitting did for Toronto in game 3. Totally energized their fans and team and they got goals.

It's why I loved that Orpik monster hit on their lead punk Matt Martin early in game 4. Martin was a non factor all game, and their hitting was basically non existent. It wouldn't surprise me if MM had some cobwebs. I can't say it wasn't already in their game plan to dial back the hitting, but was surprised they didn't try.

Its not too late for Ovi and Willy to clobber Dmen.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Look at what hitting did for Toronto did in game 3. Totally energized their fans and team and they got goals.

It's why I loved that Orpik monster hit on their lead punk Matt Martin early in game 4. Martin was a non factor all game, and their hitting was basically non existent. It wouldn't surprise me if MM had some cobwebs. I can't say it wasn't already in their game plan to dial back the hitting, but was surprised they didn't try.

Its not too late for Ovi and Willy to clobber Dmen.

I think they have been. Don't forget Wilson destroying Reilly then scoring.

I agree we need to crush fools out of the gate.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Defense: Team defense around the net. Lift sticks, take bodies, but DON'T screen your own goalie. Jump on loose pucks and move them to a teammate (not just flipped away) asap. Expect screens and rebounds. Sell out for defense.

Offense: Own the middle third of the ice (inside the dots, end to end). Don't get stuck on the boards. Get shots and bodies to the net, look for loose pucks there. Set screens.

Special teams: Urgency on the PP. They're playing Ovie man to man so look for other options like 22 or the slot. Get creative but not too perfect. Don't let the passing and perimeter concepts of the PP creep into ES play.

General: Spacing and support. KEEP THE LEGS GOING. Always be doing something. Never let up. Blow them out of the arena. Playoff hockey. 5-3 Caps.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Cooley just predicted 6-2 as well. Great minds think alike.

I like Stephenson. Kids got some wheels and energy. Probably a better 4th line fit than Connolly anyhow if he gets to play.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
5-2 Caps. At long last a convincing win. Also, Trotz finally sees the light and removes Orpik once and for all.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Injury would certainly help to clarify the cause of Beagle's woeful play. He has not done any Jay Beagle things this whole series.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am happy to see regulars being sat. In years past, our walking wounded were useless, but never left the lineup. The latest was Alzner last year, and we got burned bad when he couldn't finish the first period in game 6.

We were told Mike Green with 1 arm on the PP is better than.... I call bunk.

Winnik Stephenson Carey

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well, I speculated in the Wilson thread that he's hurt.

I'm guessing it is Beagle. I completely understand Trotz playing a guy who might be a bit hurt, as if they say they can go, it's the playoffs and he's an old fashioned coach. There's plenty in the annals of hockey lore that have guys overcoming injuries to do great things.

Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I don't buy the injured regular players are better than healthy spare players bit either.

At this level of hockey the difference between a good player and a bad player is just half a step.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
i don't really get stephenson. I have never noticed him when he plays.

would rather have Travis Boyd up but whatev. They may not even play or even get any significant ice time

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am happy to see regulars being sat. In years past, our walking wounded were useless, but never left the lineup. The latest was Alzner last year, and we got burned bad when he couldn't finish the first period in game 6.

We were told Mike Green with 1 arm on the PP is better than.... I call bunk.

Winnik Stephenson Carey

What are 4th lines that hardly play for $1000 Alex?

4-3 good guys.

Let's go Caps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->