GDT: Game 5: Calgary Flames Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:00PM| Don't get burned edition.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well your point is pretty weak then if it only covers development after the player has gotten to the NHL.

I guess if you want an NHL example, then Seguin spent the majority of his time in Boston on the wing from what I recall.
No its not. The NHL and the SHL are entirely different brands of hockey with different sized ice surfaces. Learning center or wing in Europe is categorically different than learning those same positions in the NHL. The competition level is different, defense isn't as tight and physical, there's far fewer fights for the puck along the boards, it's a totally different game. EP was basically playing advanced juniors. When Pettersson came into the NHL he was immediately asked to adapt to the NHL with center responsibilities tasked to him. He learned how to play against tougher competition, smaller ice, and tighter defense in tandem with learning to play center..

Guys like Seguin are the exception. I'll give it to you that I forgot that Boston started him on the wing, but again that's an exception. Do I think Glass can't be an exception too? No.

But I do feel there's risk inherent with him playing an extended amount of time on the wing. There's enough precedent in this league of players who never adapted back to center after starting on the wings that's there's at least some amount of risk here. With other prospects I wouldn't mind the risk. But Glass is one of the best prospects around and also one of the smartest young prospects in years. I'd rather they not play loose with his development even if it only means slight hindrances to his growth. I want his potential maximized. Especially when they have a perfectly innocuous fix in moving Eakin to the wing. As I said in another post, usually when top center prospects prove they belong, moves are made in the lineup to accommodate the kid's development. Seguin is a particularly useless example because Boston genuinely felt like he didn't have what it took to be a center. They tried him there a couple times and he wasn't performing the way they wanted. I remember it being a bit part of the post draft Taylor vs Tyler debate as a knock from Oiler fans.

Again. I over exaggerated last night when I said we can kiss Glass as a center goodbye. But I do think there's still a prescient risk of him failing to adapt to a spot in the middle if he spends too much time on the wing. I'd rather this team steer away from risks if they can help it rather than right into them when it comes to a prospect of his caliber.

Ultimately its not any of our decision and whatever happens with Glass happens but I'm trepidatious about it. If others don't want him sent down I totally get it, but I'd rather he spend time in the position he was groomed for with first line minutes than play his off position in the bottom 6. That's just how I'm going to feel about it unless things change.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Who was drafted as a center and then started his career as a winger stayed a winger and became a star as a winger?

Maybe the guys who get switched to winger and never become stars are because they weren't star material. Most of the best players in juniors are centers. It's kind of like how there are no high school second baseman (and rarely college) ever drafted. If they are good enough to be drafted they are playing shortstop in high school. Most Major league second baseman were shortstops in hs/college.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Who was drafted as a center and then started his career as a winger stayed a winger and became a star as a winger?

Maybe the guys who get switched to winger and never become stars are because they weren't star material. Most of the best players in juniors are centers. It's kind of like how there are no high school second baseman (and rarely college) ever drafted. If they are good enough to be drafted they are playing shortstop in high school. Most Major league second baseman were shortstops in hs/college.

If we keep Glass at wing, that is a big mistake. I'm not so against him being there now, though I would rather he played center. But if we continue beyond this season, then we are not using our best asset to full ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad