GDT: Game 5: Calgary Flames Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:00PM| Don't get burned edition.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
MILESTONE ALERT!

Hague-Nic_VGK_.png

First NHL Point!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Happy with the win but I can't stand the idea of Glass spending the season on the third line wing. I'd much rather see him centering the first line in the AHL.

I really haven't been able to enjoy tonight's game. Glass is one of my favorite prospects in the entire 20+ year period watching this sport...I think this lineup position is big mistake.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Happy with the win but I can't stand the idea of Glass spending the season on the third line wing. I'd much rather see him centering the first line in the AHL.

I really haven't been able to enjoy tonight's game. Glass is one of my favorite prospects in the entire 20+ year period watching this sport...I think this lineup position is big mistake.

They have to know they have a 1C and we don't have so many in the wings. I think it could be a temporary wing stay for a short time.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They have to know they have a 1C and we don't have so many in the wings. I think it could be a temporary wing stay for a short time.

Lol why? If he didn't see the use in letting it roll with Glass performing well on the second line and he didn't even try Glass as a third line center, why would he change barring injury?

Gallant already said he's too good to keep him out of the lineup but he didn't bother trying Eakin on the wing. Glass is stuck there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Speaking of rookies that seem to have a permanent spot, Hague quietly had his best game tonight.

They do have Krebs waiting in the wings(figuratively) while Glass waits on the wings

I could really go for some wings right now.

Reactions: HanSolo

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lol why? If he didn't see the use in letting it roll with Glass performing well on the second line and he didn't even try Glass as a third line center, why would he change barring injury?

Gallant already said he's too good to keep him out of the lineup but he didn't bother trying Eakin on the wing. Glass is stuck there.

I think he could have wanted to get Stastny rolling, so Glass was the one who had to go to the third line. Probably nothing to do with his play.

It was Eakin's first game back, he could still go to the left wing, which would make more sense. The only reason could be faceoffs but he can take faceoffs and be a winger, Marchessault has been doing that.

I'm willing to give them a game or two more before I get upset, as I think he should be a center also.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think he could have wanted to get Stastny rolling, so Glass was the one who had to go to the third line. Probably nothing to do with his play.

It was Eakin's first game back, he could still go to the left wing, which would make more sense. The only reason could be faceoffs but he can take faceoffs and be a winger, Marchessault has been doing that.

I'm willing to give them a game or two more before I get upset, as I think he should be a center also.
Turk wanted to run Glass on the wing before Eakin and Tuch went down. He's not feeling him out. He already said he has no problem playing Cody on the wing. But he should. And having Hnidy feed us this shit that there isn't much difference between center and wing might fly with fans who don't know better but I played the game and have watched for more than two decades. I'm not buying that. Either put him in the middle or send him down. If he does stay on the wing, it's a mistake.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Funny u say that about Marchessault. 81 and 71 spent the first season as nominal co center's. They still play essentially as interchangeable centers on the line.

I think we make too much of center vs wing. A forward is a forward....its not like football where a rb can't play qb.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Maybe Turk likes the 2nd like with Stastny in it because it did so well with him, Stone and Patches last season and in the playoffs. Last season Turk was REALLY reluctant to break up the 1st line even though they didn’t have anywhere near the success they had in their first season together.

Not saying I would take Glass off the 2nd line though.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Yeah you're right, Elias Pettersson should've stayed in SuperElit too instead of playing in Allsvenskan, & SHL as an RW for two straight seasons. Really hurt him.

Reactions: GKG18

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah you're right, Elias Pettersson should've stayed in SuperElit too instead of playing in Allsvenskan, & SHL as an RW for two straight seasons. Really hurt him.
Lol I know you think you "got me" but Pettersson was developed in the NHL as a center so my point stands. Adjusting to NHL speed, tendencies, positional responsibilities, players almost always tailor their professional game around the position they start the league in with very rare exceptions like forwards who switch to defense (Byfuglien, Burns) or Centers who coaches decide to move to the wing (Draisaitl, Giroux).

I get that people want to stay positive and are excited that Cody is still producing, but as I've said. It almost never happens that an NHL player spends his development years as a winger and then is moved to center successfully. And I'd be fine with having a star winger in Cody Glass, but I'd rather see his potential as a first line center capitalized on.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Funny u say that about Marchessault. 81 and 71 spent the first season as nominal co center's. They still play essentially as interchangeable centers on the line.

I think we make too much of center vs wing. A forward is a forward....its not like football where a rb can't play qb.

Karlsson and Marchessault very much play the game to their positions at this point. And even then, the only difference was Gallant didn't have much confidence in Wild Bill's faceoff ability. But Marchessault still played the left wing zone and Karlsson played the middle and acted as third man back defensively. The difference between a center and a wing is not, in fact, nominal.

First line centers don't grow on trees. They're as highly sought after as a number one defenseman. Maybe just a little less so, but the difference in positions is not minimal. Ask Anaheim who took Rakell, a center prospect, developed him on the wing, then tried 5-6 times to put him back in the center role and had it fail each time. Yes the difference isn't as dramatic as a RB and a QB, but it's not as insignificant as the difference between a left and right wing either.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lol I know you think you "got me" but Pettersson was developed in the NHL as a center so my point stands. Adjusting to NHL speed, tendencies, positional responsibilities, players almost always tailor their professional game around the position they start the league in with very rare exceptions like forwards who switch to defense (Byfuglien, Burns) or Centers who coaches decide to move to the wing (Draisaitl, Giroux).

I get that people want to stay positive and are excited that Cody is still producing, but as I've said. It almost never happens that an NHL player spends his development years as a winger and then is moved to center successfully. And I'd be fine with having a star winger in Cody Glass, but I'd rather see his potential as a first line center capitalized on.

I think Glass is probably played at center next season, and this season he probably plays center in more games. I don't think playing 60-65 games at wing for a season, if he doesn't play more at center, will preclude him developing into a top line center.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Glass is probably played at center next season, and this season he probably plays center in more games. I don't think playing 60-65 games at wing for a season, if he doesn't play more at center, will preclude him developing into a top line center.
I would love to be proven wrong. But outside of Marchand and Panarin who occasionally play center situationally, and I suppose Draisaitl, all of the league's top centers were developed as centers, and I've seen far too many center prospects get their NHL starts on the wings and then never come off the wing.

Do I think it's impossible? No. Maybe these four games entrenched enough habits and adaptation into Cody, or simply being smart enough to learn through watching will be enough. But I also don't see how the universe is going to collapse on itself if we move Eakin to the wing. He already knows how to be an NHL center so there's no risk in harming his development in that regard. Whether anyone here wants to admit it or not, there's at least some risk that having Glass start his career as a winger will harm his development as a center.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Well your point is pretty weak then if it only covers development after the player has gotten to the NHL.

I guess if you want an NHL example, then Seguin spent the majority of his time in Boston on the wing from what I recall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad