Post-Game Talk: Game 49 - Penguins Roasting On An Open Fire - BRUINS 4 Pittsburgh 1 FINAL

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If he could take guys like Dave Schultz and Behn Wilson I have little doubt he'd handle Wilson..

The Schultz fight is on YT. It looks like pretty much
a draw but Schultz had a significant reach advantage
so props to Jonathan for absolutely holding his own,
so I can't really say SJ won, but it was a good go.

The Wilson fight it looks like Jonathan landed
a couple of better shots.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Great fight by SJ.
All due respect to Bouchard. This was the pairs third fight of the game. Bouchard getting the decision in the first two.

Are you sure? This is the only one I remember in that
game. Maybe series or their Bos/Habs career?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Are you sure? This is the only one I remember in that
game. Maybe series or their Bos/Habs career?

He's wrong. Probably just what Habs fans say to console themselves over what was basically the end of their tough guy's career.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The Schultz fight is on YT. It looks like pretty much
a draw but Schultz had a significant reach advantage
so props to Jonathan for absolutely holding his own,
so I can't really say SJ won, but it was a good go.

The Wilson fight it looks like Jonathan landed
a couple of better shots.

Fair enough. Those guys were feared in an era where fighting was a nightly occurrence.. Tom Wilson isn't even the toughest guy in the league when fighting isn't
nearly what it was back then..

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Wilson would be a more horrifying result than Pierre Bouchard. Like career ending (which basically was the case with Bouchard).

I was 15 at the time of this fight and I remember it well.
On that one line... O'Reilly, Wensink, Jonathan. All warriors.
It's been said Bouchard was never the same after this fight.

Extra treat, we won the game!!!!

I recall Cherry running up to the CBC booth asking them if the replayed that fight, calling them out on their biased televising. Lol.....oh Don.

Reactions: TCB

aguineapig

Jonathan was pound for pound the best fighter in NHL history, he would have pounded Wilson easily.
He was a chiseled hunk of granite with hockey skates tied to the bottom. Back in the Stone Age before video games every kid had the Rock em, Sock em Robots and that's how he fought. All his power came through short redwood thick legs and his short arms were like a jack hammer when he got underneath. This son of the Six Nations was not without skill however. I was at a game at the old Garden against Sabres when the D man swung the net with Jonathan behind him, when he turned the net Stan did a quick stick lift from behind and in one motion spun around and picked the far corner. He was a dandy as Grapes would often say.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I was 15 at the time of this fight and I remember it well.
On that one line... O'Reilly, Wensink, Jonathan. All warriors.
It's been said Bouchard was never the same after this fight.

Extra treat, we won the game!!!!

I recall Cherry running up to the CBC booth asking them if the replayed that fight, calling them out on their biased televising. Lol.....oh Don.

Cherry saw Bowman put out his tough guys, and he had the regular line of Peter McNab between O'Reilly and Wensink. Since Cherry had last change, he tapped Stan (who was a wing) on the shoulder and told him to go in for McNab at center. Cherry later claims "Peter told me it was the happiest moment of his life."

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He was a chiseled hunk of granite with hockey skates tied to the bottom. Back in the Stone Age before video games every kid had the Rock em, Sock em Robots and that's how he fought. All his power came through short redwood thick legs and his short arms were like a jack hammer when he got underneath. This son of the Six Nations was not without skill however. I was at a game at the old Garden against Sabres when the D man swung the net with Jonathan behind him, when he turned the net Stan did a quick stick lift from behind and in one motion spun around and picked the far corner. He was a dandy as Grapes would often say.

That '78 team had 11 players with 20 or more goals, and Stan, who may have been the toughest guy in the league, was one of them with 27.

Edit: It was 11, not 20.

Last edited:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Jonathan was pound for pound the best fighter in NHL history, he would have pounded Wilson easily.
Jonathan = middle weight champ
Probert ( RIP) = heavyweight champ

Fights I would have loved to see:
1) Robinson ( when he was pissed off) vs Probert. I remember when Robinson kicked the crap out of Schultz and challenged all the Flyers to a fight, was hilarious.
2) Gillies in his prime vs Georges Laraque
3) Jonathan vs Terrible Ted Lindsay
4) Chara vs Behn Wilson - I hated Wilson and would love to see Chara wipe the floor with him.

Reactions: nORRis8

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
One of the best fighters in the 70's...Gary Howatt of the Islanders. This is for us old guys. ;)
He wasn't the biggest guy out there, but my, he fought like someone stole his bike.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Jonathan = middle weight champ
Probert ( RIP) = heavyweight champ

Fights I would have loved to see:
1) Robinson ( when he was pissed off) vs Probert. I remember when Robinson kicked the crap out of Schultz and challenged all the Flyers to a fight, was hilarious.
2) Gillies in his prime vs Georges Laraque
3) Jonathan vs Terrible Ted Lindsay
4) Chara vs Behn Wilson - I hated Wilson and would love to see Chara wipe the floor with him.

One of the toughest and best fighters of this era
considering he was under 6:02 was Mike Fisher.
Saw him demolish Mike Knuble and one other
guy. Fisher was not to be messed with unless
you knew what you were doing with yoyr hands.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That's a myth. The President's trophy winner has a better winning percentage than any other finishing spot. They don't win more often than the rest of the field, but they win more often than any other seed.

yes I just went back over the last 10 president trophy winners

obviously they all made the playoffs

only 3/10 lost in the first round {which is similar to any other seed}
3/10 went to the final 4 {which again stacks up very nicely to any other seed}

winning the president trophy is no guarantee for success which I guess is what some people cling to when they try to call it a jynx. its not a jynx.

it just proves the playoffs are an entirely different beast from the grind of a regular season. playoffs come down to who is the better/healthier/luckier team in a 7 game showdown {and often a 1 game showdown}

theres so much parity that the difference between finishing first and 8th in the regular season often comes down to whoever ran their players into the ground. theres plenty of teams that finish 4-10 in the standings that were more than good enough to contend for the top of the standings... but just didnt play their hardest.

this doesnt mean they will win the cup either though... even if they rest up a bit...

all it really means is that theres a good chance you will play a team in the first round that might take you to 7 games... and that means if they get more luck than you do, they might beat you

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
One of the best fighters in the 70's...Gary Howatt of the Islanders. This is for us old guys. ;)
He wasn't the biggest guy out there, but my, he fought like someone stole his bike.

His teammate Nystrom didn't lose more than a
couple. Would have paid some money to
watch Fotiu-Nystrom for sure.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They had 11 big guy
They had 11 big guy

Including 21 year old Boston area native Bob Miller.
Had high hopes for him, don't know what happened
with him. Looked like he might develop into
a 25-27 goal guy and was fast. Named to the USA
Olympic Team when he was still 18 and was one
of their leading scorers during the Pre Olympic
Schedule. Went to the OHA for a bit and played
with Bobby Smith and Behn Wilson.

Then went back to UNH and he and Rod Langway
led them to the Final Four in 1977. They played in
an outrageously high scoring NCAA era.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Bobby Miller played 4 or 5 years for the bruins and had a 20 goal season in there when they played 10 less games

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bobby Miller played 4 or 5 years for the bruins and had a 20 goal season in there when they played 10 less games

His 20 goal season was his rookie year. He was part of
a good group of Massachusetts kids that at different points early in their College/Jr/NHL careers looked
like candidates to completely break the myth of
US players not being able to excel in the NHL.
Miller, Tom Rowe, Mike Fidler, Mike O'Connell
and Rod Langway all were talented.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Being a small guy myself I absolutely love when guys like Krug stand up and are counted. He is fast becoming one of my favourite players.

Krug's only problem is he is short. I think he challenged
Stewart of the Kings when Lucic cameback to Boston.
Krug was fortunate Stewart didn't kill him...lol

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Chicago, 2013.

Since the trophy has been in existence (85-86), the winner has won the Cup 8 times. So in 23 seasons, the President's Trophy winner wins 34.7% of the time. All else being equal, it should win 6.2% of the time.
Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad