Post-Game Talk: Game 49: Knights @ Sens 4:30 p.m. Deboer Debut Edition

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I’m not over the gallant firing, but I am over the DeBoer hate. I mean the dude just got fired from the sharks after 5 or 6 seasons where he did some good things over there. . . ****, he probably hates the sharks just as much we do. Welcome aboard Golden MisPete.

Plus he wants to be here. He was sitting poolside in Florida in the middle of January with his family.

Still. getting. Paid.

He didn’t need the money. He didn’t need a job. And he Damn well didn’t need the Knights. . He wanted the knights. Respect.

anyway, I’m not gonna get excited after beating the sens. I’m not gonna hate on DeBoer. I will however hate on people claiming they’re gonna boo him at the 1st game back at T-Mobile.

View attachment 309065

I really hope anyone saying they'll boo him (or the team...ever) at our own arena, I hope they grow up.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I’m not over the gallant firing, but I am over the DeBoer hate. I mean the dude just got fired from the sharks after 5 or 6 seasons where he did some good things over there. . . ****, he probably hates the sharks just as much we do. Welcome aboard Golden MisPete.

Plus he wants to be here. He was sitting poolside in Florida in the middle of January with his family.

Still. getting. Paid.

He didn’t need the money. He didn’t need a job. And he Damn well didn’t need the Knights. . He wanted the knights. Respect.

anyway, I’m not gonna get excited after beating the sens. I’m not gonna hate on DeBoer. I will however hate on people claiming they’re gonna boo him at the 1st game back at T-Mobile.

View attachment 309065

Booing a new coach is classless. It's not his fault.

Having said that, sneaking in a dry erase maker & board to scribble messages to Foley would be an acceptable level of childishness.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lol I knew I wasn't just imagining things. He had a 33% CF last night in a 4-2 win. That's terrible. 49-45% you can say a players just isn't having much of an impact. Anything lower than that is evidence of being an active liability to your team.

Is this true? I don't understand all the Corsi but even against a team as bad as the Sens he was a liability?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Is this true? I don't understand all the Corsi but even against a team as bad as the Sens he was a liability?

He was on ice for the fewest shot attempts (7), he didn't create any offensive chances himself (the only player on the roster with 0 Corsi events). His CF is calculated based on the fact that he was on the ice for twice as many shot attempts against (14) as shots for (7). The only other player with a similar CF bad night was McNabb with 34. The next worst was Nosek and Engelland at 42.1 and 42.9 respectively. Everyone else was at a 50% or higher which makes sense given how much we dominated possession time and shots on goal and attempted. Eakin is just a limp appendage as he's been basically all year.

And to best explain a CF% number, on one hand it can be misleading in individual circumstances, but generally it measures shots attempted on the ice 5 on 5 versus shots attempted against 5 on 5. There are conditions that can influence those numbers that aren't indicative of the underlying analytical conclusion, but the idea is that the more shot attempts against, the more time a player is in his own zone. When a CF% is at 50 that means it's a total wash of equal possession time in the offensive and defensive zone. So if Mark Stone has a 55% CF average, that means on the whole he spends more time attacking the opposing net than he does defending. Eakin being at 33% last night meant his line was not generating any offense and was struggling to suppress Ottawa's offensive attempts. 40% would be bad enough. That's a pretty large variance. 33% is terrible.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Funny enough, I've been going through the CF% numbers of the last few games and Stephenson has consistently been our best player in that regard. (last three games. Wasn't quite as high against LA)

EDIT: And I have to give Eakin credit, he was actually a positive Corsi player in our losing stretch since his return from injury. Inexplicably he had one of his worst CF% games of the season against a slumping team and a pretty convincing win.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He was on ice for the fewest shot attempts (7), he didn't create any offensive chances himself (the only player on the roster with 0 Corsi events). His CF is calculated based on the fact that he was on the ice for twice as many shot attempts against (14) as shots for (7). The only other player with a similar CF bad night was McNabb with 34. The next worst was Nosek and Engelland at 42.1 and 42.9 respectively. Everyone else was at a 50% or higher which makes sense given how much we dominated possession time and shots on goal and attempted. Eakin is just a limp appendage as he's been basically all year.

And to best explain a CF% number, on one hand it can be misleading in individual circumstances, but generally it measures shots attempted on the ice 5 on 5 versus shots attempted against 5 on 5. There are conditions that can influence those numbers that aren't indicative of the underlying analytical conclusion, but the idea is that the more shot attempts against, the more time a player is in his own zone. When a CF% is at 50 that means it's a total wash of equal possession time in the offensive and defensive zone. So if Mark Stone has a 55% CF average, that means on the whole he spends more time attacking the opposing net than he does defending. Eakin being at 33% last night meant his line was not generating any offense and was struggling to suppress Ottawa's offensive attempts. 40% would be bad enough. That's a pretty large variance. 33% is terrible.

But how do you control for bad linemates? Wouldn't Eakin's linemates also have poor CF% since they are on the ice with each other most and it could have nothing to do with someone who has a bad night as opposed to playing with a linemate who is having a bad night?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019

Thanks for the explanation. As I'm an older guy, I use the ET (eyeball test - lol). That test told me when late in the game we were killing a penalty, he had the puck, all he had to do was fling it down the ice. Instead he tried to skate it out, then whiffed on a pass leading to a high danger chance against (was during the last penalty before the Sens pulled the goalie). In watching him, even when he's in the O-zone he just skates around in a big circle before usually not getting a shot on goal. Was not a coincidence we've lost 4 in a row until last night and the third line is back to being a black hole for offense. I would trade Eakin for nobody and consider it a great trade. He's about the worst forward in the league and he eats up I think about 3 million in cap space, which could get us almost a decent defenseman, which would change the whole dynamic of the team.

Reactions: Vegas07 and HanSolo

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Booing a new coach is classless. It's not his fault.

Having said that, sneaking in a dry erase maker & board to scribble messages to Foley would be an acceptable level of childishness.

Having thought more about this, it had to be a decision both McPhee and McCrimmon agreed on. I can't see them doing something this big if one or the other wasn't sure they wanted to do this. It increases the feeling there was more behind the scenes, nothing bad just disagreements going further back than we could think.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
But how do you control for bad linemates? Wouldn't Eakin's linemates also have poor CF% since they are on the ice with each other most and it could have nothing to do with someone who has a bad night as opposed to playing with a linemate who is having a bad night?
That I'm not too sure of. Though I doubt Eakin's linemates are to blame since he has the worst CF on the team across a long sample size.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That I'm not too sure of. Though I doubt Eakin's linemates are to blame since he has the worst CF on the team across a long sample size.

I was thinking more if being with him on a line would drag his linemates to worse numbers than they are capable.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I've always been a huge Eaks apologist, but last night the ET matched the analytics, and has for most of this season.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Well Tuch and Nosek's numbers weren't stellar either.

Tuch has been the biggest disappointment of the season. Other than his hot streak about 5-6 weeks ago, he's totally lost out there. He plays with no structure & makes terrible decisions with the puck. Hopefully he becomes PDB's new teachers pet.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Tuch has been the biggest disappointment of the season. Other than his hot streak about 5-6 weeks ago, he's totally lost out there. He plays with no structure & makes terrible decisions with the puck. Hopefully he becomes PDB's new teachers pet.
When he got back from his pre-season injury he looked great... And then Lowry came the very next game, I think that affected him.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Schenn clears.

They could have claimed him and waived Merrill. :huh:

I imagine Merrill will go in the trade that brings us a defenseman.

Merrill (30% retained, Melnyk), Pit 2020 2nd, VGK 2020 3rd- DeMelo.

I think I will push the DeMelo thing until the TDL or he gets traded lol.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Back.

Belated: Old New Guy! Shortly after :thumbd:.

Now add: Reavo!
I cannot believe I missed this. Thank goodness for my OCD compelling me to go back through the Thread.

This is probably one of the funniest, underrated Posts I’ve seen since joining, as it appears to have been a natural reflection of your fan-focused mind, nothing contrived.

I almost got whiplash from the changes in direction my HF VGK Board friend.

DC3F366C-DCFC-4C0A-BF5C-E828A289B141.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I cannot believe I missed this. Thank goodness for my OCD compelling me to go back through the Thread.

This is probably one of the funniest, underrated Posts I’ve seen since joining, as it appears to have been a natural reflection of your fan-focused mind, nothing contrived.

I almost got whiplash from the changes in direction my HF VGK Board friend.

Are we reading the same post? :laugh:

And, hey, I like being contrived! :biglaugh:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad