GDT: Game 49: CBJ v BUF (1/29/19)

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
As far as players like Duclair or Milano go, do we want a player who lacks doing the intangibles, but can do the tangible, like score. Or do we want players who can't do the tangibles, but are pretty good at the intangibles?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Korpi would have won by giving up 5 goals. ;)

Well, maybe...… at least it would have happened LATE in the game after the CBJ would have gone up. We would have gotten a point for sure and are very good in OT.

Instead Bob lets in a BS goal a few minutes into the period AFTER WE HAVE COMPLETE MOMENTUM going into the 3rd period.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just saw the goal replays.

What a dog shit defensive "effort". Bob may not have been in Vezina form, but those goals were all a result of horrid coverage. Jones and Murray looked like outclassed ECHLers on the Skinner breakaway. Dubinsky looked like a guy who needs to be bought out on a couple of goals.

It's going to be tough to trade Panarin. Even though I think he needs to go (and I might be very wrong about this), this team may struggle to score 2 a game without him.

Wennberg, Dubinsky and Nash with a combined 2 SOG. Wennberg with another goosegg. 3 AHLers as the 2,3 and 4 centers. Yuck.

Glad I didn't watch the game. I was at a much more entertaining ECHL game in Fort Meyers-even though it was pretty chilly walking to the car after the game. Think it was in the mid 50s, but with a healthy wind:D

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

What a dog **** defensive "effort". Bob may not have been in Vezina form, but those goals were all a result of horrid coverage. Jones and Murray looked like outclassed ECHLers on the Skinner breakaway. Dubinsky looked like a guy who needs to be bought out on a couple of goals.

It's going to be tough to trade Panarin. Even though I think he needs to go (and I might be very wrong about this), this team may struggle to score 2 a game without him.

Wennberg, Dubinsky and Nash with a combined 2 SOG. Wennberg with another goosegg. 3 AHLers as the 2,3 and 4 centers. Yuck.

Glad I didn't watch the game. I was at a much more entertaining ECHL game in Fort Meyers-even though it was pretty chilly walking to the car after the game. Think it was in the mid 50s, but with a healthy wind:D

Go Everblades!!!

Reactions: Fro

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
As far as players like Duclair or Milano go, do we want a player who lacks doing the intangibles, but can do the tangible, like score. Or do we want players who can't do the tangibles, but are pretty good at the intangibles?
You need a mix , honestly . Doesn’t mean they play irresponsible hockey , but asking skill players to abandon what they have always been , to focus on covering for defenseman constantly jumping up , gives you the result we’re seeing . Bjork, Karlsson, Milano , Duclair. As much as I hate the game Wennberg plays , I also wonder if he’s being ruined by Torts , as well .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

What a dog **** defensive "effort". Bob may not have been in Vezina form, but those goals were all a result of horrid coverage. Jones and Murray looked like outclassed ECHLers on the Skinner breakaway. Dubinsky looked like a guy who needs to be bought out on a couple of goals.

That’s all the more reason you trade Panarin , and Bob . If not , what changes next year ? It’s not like we’re going to land the top players in free agency . You load up on assets , unless you have a team capable of winning the cup . After all , this is the same team that scored 2 goals for a 40 game stretch last year . Roster resembles a Hitchcock team . A bunch of bigger , straight ahead players . We have 3 legitimate top 6 players , in our top 6 , and no 2nd line center

Reactions: Toe Pick

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
The Jackets' quality of play the last three games was what I expected going into the season to be more or less the norm from the start, given all the potential distractions there would be. I've got to think some off-ice things are starting to catch up with them that until recently they've managed to work around.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Watched the replay. Every goal was an uncovered guy in a dangerous area. All nine of them. I'm not sure who to blame - maybe everybody. But if we're going to (fairly) bitch about the Jackets D coverage, then we have to acknowledge that our guys are scoring the exact same way, via the other team's D sucking.

Funny the fuss in here about Torts and stifling the scoring players. Scoring four goals is pretty good - unless you're going to give up 5. Yeah there were times the Sabres' skill guys looked good, but there were times we overmatched them, too.

Goaltending was bad. I want to say it's just more proof about Bob and maybe he has to go but I wish I felt stronger that there would have been a difference with Korp in net.

I'm glad that this game confirmed for so many of you exactly what this team is and what needs to be done about it. It looks like a big confusing mess to me. (Not unlike this post.)

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Jackets' quality of play the last three games was what I expected going into the season to be more or less the norm from the start, given all the potential distractions there would be. I've got to think some off-ice things are starting to catch up with them that until recently they've managed to work around.

No team survives this amount of drama from the locker room. Look at this years steelers as an example. The CBJ have done s good job up to this point of playing through it. But now that it’s go time, and with our upcoming schedule, I expect the sink to begin. It’s a lose-lose because trading both players to relieve the team of the drama will also drastically hurt their chances. It’s a shame, because on paper it’s the best team we’ve had, and it’ll likely be stripped clean of its top players at the deadline/July and miss the playoffs entirely.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
be right back. Gonna read through all the hot takes.

UPDATE: not too bad. It was a disheartening game for multiple reasons. Like Twitter, I will type out my own hot takes on whatever issue is annoying me, and will save as draft only to come back later thankful I never posted. I definitely had similar hot takes to some on here last night.

I hate to see Bob's run with the Jackets end like this, but here we are. He doesn't have confidence and the Skinner goal really showed it. This was exactly the game I kinda expected coming out of the break, but I thought for a minute that with the team having responded to drama very well recently against Nashville and Washington they could do it again.

But then again Korpi played those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Honestly, I turned the game off after that in sheer disgust. I am so utterly done with this fanbase's inferiority complex.
Name one fan base which would cheer a player who has strung its team along for a year the game after he said emphatically, "I don't like your city enough to stay here".

If Rock Star and his worm of an agent would have just said "we're going to free agency. It's the one time I have to do it. Nothing against Columbus. I would be doing this anywhere" at the beginning of training camp, there would be no issues with him. Instead they turned it into a year long "all about Artemi" drama. He never had to let anyone in the media know that he didn't much care for Columbus as a city and viewed it as a undesirable long term residence. He's lucky people didn't throw crap at him.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Name one fan base which would cheer a player who has strung its team along for a year the game after he said emphatically, "I don't like your city enough to stay here".

If Rock Star and his worm of an agent would have just said "we're going to free agency. It's the one time I have to do it. Nothing against Columbus. I would be doing this anywhere" at the beginning of training camp, there would be no issues with him. Instead they turned it into a year long "all about Artemi" drama. He never had to let anyone in the media know that he didn't much care for Columbus as a city and viewed it as a undesirable long term residence. He's lucky people didn't throw crap at him.

Maybe a bit over the top.. maybe... but nevertheless..

giphy.gif

I don't hate the guy. I don't wish injury upon him.

But I do wish for him to be shipped out ASAP so we can focus on who actually wants to be here and hopefully a playoff run.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

He never actually said those things, and I don't feel he owes those kinds of things to anyone, but, absent them, it's a perfectly reasonable conclusion to reach, and yeah, the negative response should be anticipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Go Everblades!!!

I go down to Ft. Meyers for games a few times each year as I'm in Sarasota (too much) these days. Great minor league arena. Saw them get beat in game 7 last year in the finals.

They're a well constructed ECHL team. Lots of good veterans who aren't prospects anymore and a few younger types with decent upside along with solid goaltending. My Cyclones might be seeing them in the finals this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad