Post-Game Talk: GAME 49 - B's Power Play goes on break a game early - NY Rangers 3 BRUINS 2 FINAL

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My son had a DARE basketball game and then a team dinner for hockey. I watched bits and pieces of the game, but need to watch the whole thing after I go out and snowblow (it’s still sleeting here) and before the Pats. A couple of quick observations from what I did see:

1) The sequence where Heinen scored highlights everything I like about the kid. Good D at the line keeps the puck in, fights though Skjei to go to the net, and uses the quick shot/release for the goal. The B’s need more of that from him.

2) I know it’s instinct, but Charlie needs to be smarter. Chytil has already scored and was on a path across the front of the crease (not into Rask). He doesn’t touch Rask without the CM hit. Anybody calling for retribution on a play caused by a Bruin player needs to smarten up.

3) Wagner and Fast collided. It looked accidental to me and Fast got the worst of it because Wagner braced himself better. I get that hockey is a fast sport and McQ probably didn’t see what happened, but the punch first, ask questions later mentality bugs the **** out of me. Lost some respect for McQ, not because he wanted to go after Wagner, but because Wagner was already engaged with the larger Strome, who is more than a fair match for Wagner.

4) Not that it would have mattered, because the B’s PP is awful right now, but the officiating was brutal from start to finish. Starting with Kreider’s uncalled board on Acciari and culminating with the fight debacle. The NHL should be embarrassed that they are paying these guys a lot of money to be incompetent.

More later after I watch the whole game.

Heinens goal shift was electric. The rest of the game was a power cut.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm still pissed about the officiating. The NHL sets rules for referees to enforce, not work their way around. Who cares if Mcquaid got fined for a fight under 5 minutes. THAT IS WHAT IT WAS. So call it as the play happened, not because the refs don't want Mcquaid to get fined. They called the Chara puck in the stands by the letter of the law, call the 3rd man in and fight like it should have been. And Strome by the way had Wagner in a head lock when Wagner dropped the gloves and Strome didn't. He also should have had a roughing minor for being a fake tough guy.

Good on Wags too who knew he was out classed but still hung in there a took a few from the 3rd guy in. BUT why was no one on the ice going after Strome and challenging him and giving him a beating.

MSG view shows clearly how Wagner was clearly engaged with Strome.

Fight: McQuaid Battles Wagner - MSGNetworks.com

Now I've blown a gasket after seeing this. WTF wasn't Quaider hit with third man in??? Jesus f***ing Christ it was so blatant, so obvious even a dead person could see it. And WTF was Wags' teammates? I'm more pissed off about that than the officiating which I've come to expect will suck. But for the rest of the team to just stand on the ice with their thumbs up their asses is absolutely unacceptable. Once Quaider intervened every Bruin should have gone after him right then and there. Instead they let Wags get beaten up. If I was Wags I'd have torn each and everyone of them a new asshole after the game. This team is softer than a pile of steaming baby shit and I'm sick to death of it. :madfire:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
And to complaining about Chytil crashing the net “too hard”. What the Bell happened to this place?
Lou, I posted about this in the fight thread and basically my take is that Chytil did nothing wrong, he's just doing his job. But it's on the Bruins to make players think twice about crashing the net like that IMO. Just like guys will drop the gloves after a clean hit...it's about sending a message that certain things won't be tolerated & I think the Bruins should have had more of a response to that play even if the outcome is ultimately not Chytil's fault.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Now I've blown a gasket after seeing this. WTF wasn't Quaider hit with third man in??? Jesus ****ing Christ it was so blatant, so obvious even a dead person could see it. And WTF was Wags' teammates? I'm more pissed off about that than the officiating which I've come to expect will suck. But for the rest of the team to just stand on the ice with their thumbs up their asses is absolutely unacceptable. Once Quaider intervened every Bruin should have gone after him right then and there. Instead they let Wags get beaten up. If I was Wags I'd have torn each and everyone of them a new ******* after the game. This team is softer than a pile of steaming baby **** and I'm sick to death of it. :madfire:
Amen! It has become a concern big time. If a couple players jump one of your mates, and one of them is third man in no less, there is no way in hell you should stand by and watch with no response. It's lazy, and even worse shows a lack of team cohesion. To add insult to injury it's the f***ing 4th line on the f***ing ice! Acciari is worthless enough as it is. He should have at least acted like he gave a shit and done something. Kuraly might as well have ordered a hot dog, as he was content just calmly watching as one of his linemates got jumped. Seriously, f*** the both of them. I don't blame McAvoy for not getting involved given his concussion issues, but Griz had no excuse. It's great that some of these guys hang out with each other off the ice and are pals, but they also need to risk bleeding for each other on the ice. I have to wonder if there is a coach's directive to stay out of such things so as to not risk getting penalized. It has been happening for a while now. The majority of other teams would have responded immediately. And, let's be honest, even though the play on Rask was Charlie's fault, a majority of teams would have had at least a player or two go the f*** off on the Ranger. From the lack of response on the hit that injured Bjork in Providence a few weeks ago, to the softness of the Bs all season long, this is an organizational problem.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Lou, I posted about this in the fight thread and basically my take is that Chytil did nothing wrong, he's just doing his job. But it's on the Bruins to make players think twice about crashing the net like that IMO. Just like guys will drop the gloves after a clean hit...it's about sending a message that certain things won't be tolerated & I think the Bruins should have had more of a response to that play even if the outcome is ultimately not Chytil's fault.

What's the desired outcome you are looking for? Someone to punch out Chytil and break his nose, like what happened to Kuraly? This is an honest question. Not trying to start an argument here.

There was an article in the Athletic a few weeks back speaking exactly about this topic. Its about how fans constantly say "we need a response" or "we need to send a message" but stop short of saying what that means specifically.

How much blood is the appropriate amount in exchange for what happened, and are we comfortable with a player potentially suffering injury due to the "response". Because once the punches start flying, there's no controlling what the outcome is.

There's no right or wrong answer here. If you want to see Chytil get turned to hamburger, its OK to say so. I can understand that feeling, even though I don't agree with it. The kid crashed the net hard and got checked into Rask. Was it reckless? Maybe, but I call it a good hard net drive.

Should the "response" have been to have Miller or Chara pummel him, for a good hard hockey play? Break his nose? Crack an orbital bone? Or just punch him a few times until his lip bleeds?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
What's the desired outcome you are looking for? Someone to punch out Chytil and break his nose, like what happened to Kuraly? This is an honest question. Not trying to start an argument here.

There was an article in the Athletic a few weeks back speaking exactly about this topic. Its about how fans constantly say "we need a response" or "we need to send a message" but stop short of saying what that means specifically.

How much blood is the appropriate amount in exchange for what happened, and are we comfortable with a player potentially suffering injury due to the "response". Because once the punches start flying, there's no controlling what the outcome is.

There's no right or wrong answer here. If you want to see Chytil get turned to hamburger, its OK to say so. I can understand that feeling, even though I don't agree with it.

This isn't a cubicle office. These guys work their tails off with and for each other. It's not quite like soldier's in combat level bonding, but its there. So when one gets hurt or gets jumped your natural inclination is to come to your friend's aid.

We are seeing NONE of that.
Which makes me question what's going on in the locker room.

If you work at phone support place with 100 other people in cubes who you barely know. Seeing a fight is not going to make you jump in. There just isn't the same level of investment.

Now, to answer your question. I want a physical response to the Chytil incident. One that leaves a mental mark so that both him and his team never try to even go near our goaltender again for fear of what would happen afterward.

There is a reason Buffalo was criticized and eventually dismantled by their GM after the Miller hit by Lucic.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Lou,

I had no issue with the Chytil play, zero. However, I still thought McQ going after Wagner, 1) While he was already engaged with Strome 2) For a collision/hit that wasn’t even dirty...

Was Bush league.
Exactly, Chytil had no choice. McQuaid did and it was unforgivable. If that was a leaf or Hab player we would have lost our minds but its a fan fav so it's ok. Once they are traded and do krap like that they deserve no respect for that play

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Exactly, Chytil had no choice. McQuaid did and it was unforgivable. If that was a leaf or Hab player we would have lost our minds but its a fan fav so it's ok. Once they are traded and do krap like that they deserve no respect for that play

But it’s ok when they wear black and gold right? You’ve been a fan since 72, amazing the big bad Bruins and the 08-13 bunch were such gentlemen it must never have happened

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
In my defense, that overhead view from Maria Molinar changes things drastically for me.

I'm still salty over the coaches and their team's reactions all game last night.
I agreee on the overhead view from Maria Molina. Clearly shows Chytil moving parallel to Rask, not toward him. CM tried to channel him off, just missed in the wrong direction.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
What? Plays develop fast. Mac didn’t do it on purpose. No need for a response either as some have said. It was a hockey play to me. To bad Tukka got hurt.
I believe the complaint is that Mc didn’t take note of his location when he hip checked Chytil. I’m sure Chara called him out on it. Got to be aware of where your goalie is at all times.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I believe the complaint is that Mc didn’t take note of his location when he hip checked Chytil. I’m sure Chara called him out on it. Got to be aware of where your goalie is at all times.

true.
but that whole play and goal was charas fault. why the hell is he pinching anyways?? especially with a lead.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Just saw the game up until after the Rask injury, then had an engagement to get to. I hope Tuukka will be okay. He really got smoked. Hope it's not as bad as it looked, and the 9 days off will be good.

Just an unfortunate play. Not sure what else McAvoy is supposed to do there. He was sliding back towards the net, trying to cut off the pass - I don't think he could have stopped in time to avoid contact with Chytil, and even if he could have, then he just gives Chytil a clear path to the net. Imagine if he had done that, the grief he would have taken.

I don't think Charlie meant to check him, so much as they just collided. I mean, he was travelling much faster than Charlie - it's surprising McAvoy wasn't concussed as well. And then Chytil went airborne, perhaps partly of his own accord to try to avoid Rask?

It all happened pretty fast. I don't think anyone's to blame. Chytil was driving to the net, as he's allowed to do, and I honestly don't know what else McAvoy should have done in that particular scenario.

Be well, Tuukka!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This isn't a cubicle office. These guys work their tails off with and for each other. It's not quite like soldier's in combat level bonding, but its there. So when one gets hurt or gets jumped your natural inclination is to come to your friend's aid.

We are seeing NONE of that.
Which makes me question what's going on in the locker room.

If you work at phone support place with 100 other people in cubes who you barely know. Seeing a fight is not going to make you jump in. There just isn't the same level of investment.

Now, to answer your question. I want a physical response to the Chytil incident. One that leaves a mental mark so that both him and his team never try to even go near our goaltender again for fear of what would happen afterward.

There is a reason Buffalo was criticized and eventually dismantled by their GM after the Miller hit by Lucic.

So, let me get this straight...you want a physical response by the Bruins for an “incident” where an opposing player who was skating parallel to Rask was checked into him, by a Bruin’s player?

Ummm...ok??

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
LOL. Yeah, that’s why we lost....

If only we had just a little more power play time this game........

Oh boy..... I Said nothing about that call being influential on the result of the game. You’re reading into my post incorrectly.

Point is it was a horrific call and A great opportunity to stand up for your players, show some emotion and say if you’re going to miss blatant calls, you will be called out.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
So, let me get this straight...you want a physical response by the Bruins for an “incident” where an opposing player who was skating parallel to Rask was checked into him, by a Bruin’s player?

Ummm...ok??
It’s not even that for some, it’s the fact that after the hit, they just kind of went into their typical shell. They didn’t play a physical game, and once again, an opposing player (McQuaid in this instance) took liberties on Wagner and dusted him to the ice. This shit is happening in double digits it seems... and Boston just kind of... takes it.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Time to bring McQuaid back? Rangers will be looking to trade him at the TD and there will be interest from all teams looking to get tougher for the post season and add a steady 3rd pair right dman. May only take a 3rd rounder to get him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Time to bring McQuaid back? Rangers will be looking to trade him at the TD and there will be interest from all teams looking to get tougher for the post season and add a steady 3rd pair right dman. May only take a 3rd rounder to get him.
Didn't we trade him for a 4th? lol

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
4th and a 7th. But that freed up a lot of cap space. I think it will take at least a 3rd to get him at the TD. Could be interest from others, including Toronto, who is looking for both a RHD and some muscle.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It’s not even that for some, it’s the fact that after the hit, they just kind of went into their typical shell. They didn’t play a physical game, and once again, an opposing player (McQuaid in this instance) took liberties on Wagner and dusted him to the ice. This **** is happening in double digits it seems... and Boston just kind of... takes it.

I agree that the B’s didn’t seem as aggressive after Rask went out. Could be they were just kind of stunned by the injury? Not sure, but they need to be mentally tougher, never mind physically.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
4th and a 7th. But that freed up a lot of cap space. I think it will take at least a 3rd to get him at the TD. Could be interest from others, including Toronto, who is looking for both a RHD and some muscle.
As a big McQuaid fan, I think they're tough enough on defense with Miller and Chara. It's the top 9 forward group that really concerns me. 3 lines of zero physicality.

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad