Speculation: Game 48: Vegas Rusty Knights @ Buffalo Wings | 4:00PM | The Schedule speculates Vegas have a game.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Eakin centering the 4th line is a good start, but going back to Hague-Engelland is baffling. The PK stinks even with him, so no harm having him sit a few games.

It's so bad I'm asking them to go back to Merrill-Holden for petes sake.

I have spoken.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CupInSIX

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Criticizing Gallant for his lineup choices and the minutes he gives certain players *cough Eakin/Engo* is perfectly justified, but for guys missing empty nets? You think they don't practice shooting at all? Ever seen a pregame warm up? They've been shooting at empty nets their entire f***ing lives. Shit happens and guys miss. That's 100% not a coaching problem. And if it is why don't we take it a step further and blame the coaches for not emphasizing the importance of not letting in squeakers to the goalies?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The doom and gloom seems a little odd to me for a team in its 3rd season of existence.
Maybe getting to the Finals in year one wasn’t a good thing.

Seriously. On paper the 1st year team drastically exceeded expectations. This year and last is about what I'd expect. A playoff team that could realistically get to the conference final just because the Pacific is the weakest division in hockey.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
"We didn't play a bad hockey game tonight. Unfortunately, we didn't get any points out of here tonight but we played a better game tonight. Overall I was happy with the performance."

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The doom and gloom seems a little odd to me for a team in its 3rd season of existence.
Maybe getting to the Finals in year one wasn’t a good thing.

That's a bad way of looking at this. The team is in its third year but they went all in with the Pacioretty (and the trade that preceded it) and Stone trades.

If that first year happens and we still have Suzuki and Brannstrom (and probably Haula and Miller) and the team looks like this? That's fine but not when you give up future pieces for now and the now looks pretty mediocre.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think it's time to fire Turk, but I don't have much more before I start thinking that. This team is suffering from fixable problems that have existed since last year while the rest of the league gets faster and this team somehow is getting slower and has less endurance. I mean you could probably count the number of teams ours could still outspeed on one hand. And this is the biggest source of our defensive problems imo. We're never had a rock solid blueline corps. The team's defensive strength came from a 5 man group's ability to forecheck and backcheck while stifling offense with aggressive puck press that required high speed and endurance. We don't have that anymore so the defense has broken down.

The team is a roll of the dice on getting a shot on goal whether they're 25 feet away or 2, shooting drills are clearly failing. The team still has, admittedly, an improved passing game but still a problematic consistency in pass timing, selection, and execution. Clearly there continues to be problem with drills in respect to passing.

In terms of Turk's strategies it feels like his whole offensive zone game book is built for scenarios where the team has the lead because they are almost completely inert when trailing. Teams know that if they grab an early lead all they have to do is run a tight collapse with sticks on the ice and the fifth man doing aggressive puck press and the Knights just have no clue what to do with the puck. They'll either cycle around the boards until they lose it, try to force a pass through traffic in the slot resulting in turnover like 95% of the time, or pass it to the point where we only have like two guys who can get it through. Opposing defenses don't have to move from their defensive positions because the only Knight moving in the offensive zone is almost always the puck carrier. It's predictable and without the speed we had before, it's completely stoppable.

Of course it's not all Gallant's fault as there's more members of the coaching staff and on some level it's the players who need to give enough of a shit themselves. But he's the guy steering the ship and at some point you have to ask why the ship keeps sailing around in circles instead of going forward. In my opinion, the take that we're just not deep or talented enough is a shitty cop out. We've seen what this team can do when the cylinders are firing. They just haven't been enough. And they won't start unless game preparation improves now. Trading for a defenseman will do f*** all of Turk doesn't fix these fundamental problems.
"We didn't play a bad hockey game tonight. Unfortunately, we didn't get any points out of here tonight but we played a better game tonight. Overall I was happy with the performance."
Is that really what he said?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

It's this that is worrying on top of the performances that makes @Super Cake criticisms more durable. It's if he doesn't see what's wrong.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It's this that is worrying on top of the performances that makes @Super Cake criticisms more durable. It's if he doesn't see what's wrong.

I mean if he did say that, it just provides more evidence to me that Gallant is just too much of a nice guy for this team right. I mean i get you don't want to piss off your players, but at some point you need to give them a kick in the ass when they are playing badly.

Wonder what a coach like Torts would say.

Edit:

Yep he pretty much did say that. :shakehead

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I mean how can it be a good game when you once again let in 3+ goals after letting in 3+ goals the last 5 games?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I mean if he did say that, it just provides more evidence to me that Gallant is just too much of a nice guy for this team right. I mean i get you don't want to piss off your players, but at some point you need to give them a kick in the ass when they are playing badly.

Wonder what a coach like Torts would say.

Edit:

Yep he pretty much did say that. :shakehead

He'd say "why the f*** did Panarin sign with NYR? Doesn't that f***er want to f***ing play for a f***ing amazing coach like me? Get this f***ing Tims cup out of my sight. f*** you, Tims cup. You get that through your head, Brooksie?"

And then Jarmo would trade the farm to get to the 2nd round with Torts.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol this team actually leads the league in shots on goal but are tenth to last in shooting percentage (which isn't saying much cause from 10-1 is just different variants of 8.9-8.1%)

Watching this team though I sincerely doubt it's just another year of bad luck.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
That's a bad way of looking at this. The team is in its third year but they went all in with the Pacioretty (and the trade that preceded it) and Stone trades.

If that first year happens and we still have Suzuki and Brannstrom (and probably Haula and Miller) and the team looks like this? That's fine but not when you give up future pieces for now and the now looks pretty mediocre.

I can see that if you feel that acquiring Mark, Paul, and Max going all in. I’m sure the Knights wish they had Suzuki right now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Knights play the Sens on Thursday.

Sens have lost 8 straight. Don't know how to feel about that game as of now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
or Torts would say
"Karlsson? Wild Bill? Holy **** is that you you ****? Who the **** let you in the top 6? Get back on the 4th line you **** and cut that hair you hippie"

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
or Torts would say
"Karlsson? Wild Bill? Holy **** is that you you ****? Who the **** let you in the top 6? Get back on the 4th line you **** and cut that hair you hippie"
Or Torts would say: Which way to the f***en flames locker room... I want to fight the prick Bob Heartley... Let me at him.... Let me f***en at him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Shots on goal 1641 (33 shots on goal per game)
Shots attempted 2412 (49 shots attempted and on goal per game)

That means on average, the Knights shoot the puck wide or have a shot blocked close to the net sixteen times a game.
Congrats Sens on breaking that streak :sarcasm:
What's with the sarcasm face?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

That means on average, the Knights shoot the puck wide or have a shot blocked close to the net sixteen times a game.

It hides my tears. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: HanSolo

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

They need to work on getting point shots through. Or just. Not shoot from the point.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I don't think it's time to fire Turk, but I don't have much more before I start thinking that. This team is suffering from fixable problems that have existed since last year while the rest of the league gets faster and this team esomehow is getting slower and has less endurance. I mean you could probably count the number of teams ours could still outspeed on one hand. And this is the biggest source of our defensive problems imo. We're never had a rock solid blueline corps. The team's defensive strength came from a 5 man group's ability to forecheck and backcheck while stifling offense with aggressive puck press that required high speed and endurance. We don't have that anymore so the defense has broken down.

The team is a roll of the dice on getting a shot on goal whether they're 25 feet away or 2, shooting drills are clearly failing. The team still has, admittedly, an improved passing game but still a problematic consistency in pass timing, selection, and execution. Clearly there continues to be problem with drills in respect to passing.

In terms of Turk's strategies it feels like his whole offensive zone game book is built for scenarios where the team has the lead because they are almost completely inert when trailing. Teams know that if they grab an early lead all they have to do is run a tight collapse with sticks on the ice and the fifth man doing aggressive puck press and the Knights just have no clue what to do with the puck. They'll either cycle around the boards until they lose it, try to force a pass through traffic in the slot resulting in turnover like 95% of the time, or pass it to the point where we only have like two guys who can get it through. Opposing defenses don't have to move from their defensive positions because the only Knight moving in the offensive zone is almost always the puck carrier. It's predictable and without the speed we had before, it's completely stoppable.

Of course it's not all Gallant's fault as there's more members of the coaching staff and on some level it's the players who need to give enough of a **** themselves. But he's the guy steering the ship and at some point you have to ask why the ship keeps sailing around in circles instead of going forward. In my opinion, the take that we're just not deep or talented enough is a ****ty cop out. We've seen what this team can do when the cylinders are firing. They just haven't been enough. And they won't start unless game preparation improves now. Trading for a defenseman will do **** all of Turk doesn't fix these fundamental problems.

Is that really what he said?

Excellent, especially the first paragraph. The overall team defense is what’s been missing since the first season and it’s hard to maintain that style of play when everyone isn’t willing or can’t.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They need to work on getting point shots through. Or just. Not shoot from the point.
Personally I think it's time this team bring crash the net back to this league. All defenses have to do is stand in good position with sticks on the ice and the Knights have no idea what to do about it. There's little use in getting many chances and shots through if they are completely stoppable shots that don't force the goalie or defense to move/scramble. This team needs to find a way to disrupt predictable defenses by starting to run unpredictable strategies.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Personally I think it's time this team bring crash the net back to this league. All defenses have to do is stand in good position with sticks on the ice and the Knights have no idea what to do about it. There's little use in getting many chances and shots through if they are completely stoppable shots that don't force the goalie or defense to move/scramble. This team needs to find a way to disrupt predictable defenses by starting to run unpredictable strategies.

But who is going to coach this strategy?

Certainly not Gallant who seems unwilling to change anything.

And considering he apparently thought tonight was a good game, he probably won't change anything for the game on Thursday.

What is the definition of insanity again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad