Post-Game Talk: GAME 48 - THE BEAR has the Happy Blues - BRUINS 5 St. Louis 2 FINAL

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018

The angle on this shows the play he made to knock the JFK pass out of the air behind him, if McDavid or Mattthew's did this we'd be seeing it all over the world.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Wagner is kind of giving me flashbacks of Mike Knuble. Knuble was a solid player, nothing flashy, decent all-around player then all of a sudden 8 20+ goals seasons in a row with a couple of 30 goal season in there. Not saying that Wagner will turn into Knuble, but there seems to be some untapped offence to his game. Not sure many of us around here was expecting that.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Let me start off by saying the JFK line and I am referring to all three of these guys are going to be good NHL players.
I know Fansince72 gets a bit agitated when me specifically criticizes the play of the line.
But look this morning of the time on ice
Donato played 9 minutes, wouldn’t he be better off playing 23 minutes in all situations in Providence?
I think he can be a center and offensive center someday
Last night I referred to him as a speed bump, he is getting thrown around out there and wait for the playoffs it only gets worst
Sorry don’t like the long winded posts and this is one of them

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Let me start off by saying the JFK line and I am referring to all three of these guys are going to be good NHL players.
I know Fansince72 gets a bit agitated when me specifically criticizes the play of the line.
Donato played 9 minutes, wouldn’t he be better off playing 23 minutes in all situations in Providence?
Last night I referred to him as a speed bump, he is getting thrown around out there and wait for the playoffs it only gets worst

Forwards don't typically play 23 mins. especially in the AHL where they often have 3 games in consecutive days on the weekends.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Forwards don't typically play 23 mins. especially in the AHL where they often have 3 games in consecutive days on the weekends.
Yup you right 23 is allot and I was wrong but more ice time in all situations will be more beneficial than 9 minutes

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yup you right 23 is allot and I was wrong but more ice time in all situations will be more beneficial than 9 minutes

I think 9 mins. is a bit low no question. Cassidy really used his College line last night like a 4th line in terms of minutes.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I think 9 mins. is a bit low no question. Cassidy really used his College line last night like a 4th line in terms of minutes.

Cassidy actually called the Backes-Kuraly-Wagner line the "third line" in his post game interview last night. I considered it both a statement on reality with regards to ice time, and a dig at the college line.

JFK, Donato, and Heinen need to learn to win a board battle. Donato actually came out with some grit in their opening shift, but all 3 were back to waving the stick and curling away by mid-first. I've said it before with Ryan Spooner; guys who have always been the best player on their team can go two ways. They can coast on their talent, or they can learn all aspects of the game. Do the latter, and you can turn second round talent into a first round pick, or you can turn a 2nd/3rd round pick into an elite NHL player, ala Begeron or Marchand. Do the former, and you have 2nd round talent getting buried in the NHL because you bring nothing else to the table, and you aren't good enough to survive on talent alone.

That's Ryan Spooner. We shall see if it applies to Donato, JFK, and/or Heinen.

It is also why Backes/Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner are the "third" line, because they bring more to the table than their talent level would suggest.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Cassidy actually called the Backes-Kuraly-Wagner line the "third line" in his post game interview last night. I considered it both a statement on reality with regards to ice time, and a dig at the college line.

JFK, Donato, and Heinen need to learn to win a board battle. Donato actually came out with some grit in their opening shift, but all 3 were back to waving the stick and curling away by mid-first. I've said it before with Ryan Spooner; guys who have always been the best player on their team can go two ways. They can coast on their talent, or they can learn all aspects of the game. Do the latter, and you can turn second round talent into a first round pick, or you can turn a 2nd/3rd round pick into an elite NHL player, ala Begeron or Marchand. Do the former, and you have 2nd round talent getting buried in the NHL because you bring nothing else to the table, and you aren't good enough to survive on talent alone.

That's Ryan Spooner. We shall see if it applies to Donato, JFK, and/or Heinen.

It is also why Backes/Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner are the "third" line, because they bring more to the table than their talent level would suggest.

Did he? Interesting.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

production isn`t there for the line but have been noticing some very solid play from all 3. All are on pucks quickly and forcing opponents to make forced plays. I`ll never be an NHL coach and what I`m about to say may prove it but with under 3 minutes left in the game and the goalie pulled, as a coach hoping to get a line going, was thinking it may not have been the craziest idea to send em` out over the boards, hoping one of them pops an empty netter. Sometimes even one of those can get a guy going a bit.

Instead, Cassidy gave them the crap time minutes with about 40 seconds left in the game and the B` s up 5-2

Nit picking by me I suppose, other than that, another very solid game from PC. I`m not sure if I need to eat crow over the kid as I never really said he wasn`t an NHL player and never would be, said mostly that while I saw a few things I liked during his other call ups, he needed to work on a few things and in just two games, he has shown he`s not close to being the same player as before, great to see and credit both the player and the coaching staff in Providence.

Real nice to see, Tuukka with another very sound performance as well, good win

Reactions: jangerhofer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, he did. He was discussing the Backes goal and said he fits right in on that third line.

He did look a lot more assertive last night. As he said himself predictability in what your line-mates are doing. Less thinking/processing, more doing.

If it keeps Acciari in a suit and not a Bruins uniform I'm all for it. :)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I dont think Debrusk is ready for top 6.
We need a first line RW or second line RW or we will not make it past round 2.
Either a winger to go with bergy and march, then we can put P
asta on line 2. or get a winger to play with cehlarik and Krejci

DeBrusk is not ready to play in a spot he's been in for more than a year and a half?

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Wagner is kind of giving me flashbacks of Mike Knuble. Knuble was a solid player, nothing flashy, decent all-around player then all of a sudden 8 20+ goals seasons in a row with a couple of 30 goal season in there. Not saying that Wagner will turn into Knuble, but there seems to be some untapped offence to his game. Not sure many of us around here was expecting that.

The thing with guys like Wagner and Kuraly is that they were leading scorers and offensive threats all the way up through the AHL level. But, they figured out that they are definitely not elite skill guys so PK, versatility and the willingness to do the dirty work got them to the NHL. Now to stay in the NHL it's going to take a change in emphasis on their game. It's not like they were goons before they got to the NHL. I think if you look at their college numbers you'd would say they were elite offensive guys at that level.

All that to say, when they get an opportunity to bury some chances they can.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins 6-3 in January with 3 games left this month at home before starting Feb at Washington..It is the only month on entire schedule they play more home games so be nice to finish off the month solid.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I’ve had enough of Moore. Trying to figure out what positives he brings, these days.

Can’t seem to figure out his game. Mobility? ...and? Ehh.

He’s basic.

Yeah he was almost invisible the last 2-3 games :sarcasm:

Seriously, it's one bad game. Almost everybody said he didn't deserve to scratched but one had to be so.... "nice problem to have" still. He was and still is a good pick up for the Bruins.

bwdrums1

Dec 14, 2017

The angle on this shows the play he made to knock the JFK pass out of the air behind him, if McDavid or Mattthew's did this we'd be seeing it all over the world.

Great play. He almost looked offside having to reach back for the pass.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Jake Debrusk is absolutely a "Top 6 winger".

But I still don't think he's a good fit for David Krejci's line.

I'd like to see them get a winger to go with 22-46. And let Debrusk be the focal point of his own scoring line, similar to Kessel in Pitts back in 2016 and 2017. .

I don't think he is a good half of a pair with Krejci. Cehlarik plays the give-and-go and cycle style that Krejci loves...keep possession and wear down the D until something opens up.

DeBrusk plays like a 4th liner with talent...attack attack attack. He would have been awesome with prime Backes.

Or maybe a current Schenn. I love the idea of the 19-20 Boston Bruins throwing a DeBrusk Schenn Senyshyn/Frederic line over the boards.

Not sure what solution I am getting at here. I think 22/46/74 was the Bruins best line last night. DeBrusk's crash the net and shoot first and ask questions later style might just work well with 22 and 46 doing there thing.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->