Post-Game Talk: Game 48: Canucks 4 at Bruins 2

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
HorseBear shall be their new nickname from now on 'til forever.

If you are referring to Bo as a horse, I thought his animal name was Ox.

Baertschi - Bear
Hansen - Honey Badger
Horvat - Ox
Virtanen - Big Country

Any others other than the Higgy's or Burr type nicks?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The only nitpick would be to see Dorset get an assist on the empty net goal. Would've preferred one of the young guys to get a free point there.

That's one serious nitpick! Haha...

But good point... We would of had more ammo to moan about him at the end of the yr for failed production as well.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I'm not gonna lie here, with Henrik and Suttee returning I see this team being closer to the playoffs than a top 5 pick. Playing this bad/mediocre hockey for lots of games and still winning is a strength (they were good against BOS though) and there is a few players on the roster that are only getting better.

- I thought the 4th line was solid, as was Vey's line. The top lines were quiet yet combined for 3 goals lol (contradictory)
- Marky with another very solid performance even if he'd like that second one back
- Gaddam D-men, clear the puck sometimes
- Virtanen's breakaway is why he was drafted top 6, holy moly what an exciting prospect he is when he is on his game

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They played better last night. They didn't play well. Still far too sloppy and still far too many moments running around their own zone. It just so happened that on this night they were met by a team who had their own sloppiness issues and some goaltending issues. But they did match possession in the third so it's a step forward.

While Baertschi got a goal the main thing is that he continues to not be the guy that bailed on getting hit earlier in the season. He did have some defensive struggles last night. The line did. Corsi wise they were the worst forward line. I like the offense to be sure but they still have a lot of things to clean up. Someone other than Vrbata on that wing might help.

Hansen...bad giveaway but that is completely out of character so not going to worry about it. It happens.

Sbisa...he was easily the worst player on the ice. Well maybe rask was.

Etem...unlike the other games where I think people were mostly dazzled by a shift or two of good play, this was a pretty strong game start to finish.

Burrows is doing some good work on that line. It would be nice to see Burrows able to settle into a third line 15 goal type role. He had the A which I think is great. Play like this and I find no reason for him to be moved unless the return is very good. Especially if he is that 15 goal leader.

Virtanen...strong game from him. Still sucking wind 20 seconds into a shift though and that is a bit odd at this point.

Daniel...good to see him get that goal. Congrats!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If you automatically take the next guy on the list how come teams seem to spend their entire clock at times to agonize and discuss who they are taking before walking up to the podium?

1 - its a show, you take your time. you also get a lot more time between picks in the first round.

2 - BPA is not that simple. Forwards are safer than D men or goalies.

3 - While there are not that many trades, it seems that GM's are constantly talking at the draft. Particularly if you have a player that you really think is special, and its in the range ....

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thought Zalewski got better as the game went on. Hopefully he sticks in the lineup for a few games to see if we have something here. Like the speed and he seemed to be getting more confident with the puck.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thought Zalewski got better as the game went on. Hopefully he sticks in the lineup for a few games to see if we have something here. Like the speed and he seemed to be getting more confident with the puck.

Indeed. I really liked the speed of that line - Zalewski, Virtanen and Dorsett can all really wheel and it gives them a nice dimension. I'd like to see a bit more of it.

Which, knowing Willie, means we'll likely never see it again. :laugh:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Kind of funny that Virtanen was named 2nd star of the game.

I guess the Boston media must really like the style of game he plays. :laugh:

Virtanen was one of the most noticeable Vancouver forwards all game. No way that he should ever be sitting for Prust now. He brings way more to the ice right now, not to mention his future importance.

Until Daniel cam alive and that line scored, I thought the McCann line was the worst line we had for most of the game. Vey line playing pretty well actually.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Virtanen was one of the most noticeable Vancouver forwards all game. No way that he should ever be sitting for Prust now. He brings way more to the ice right now, not to mention his future importance.

Until Daniel cam alive and that line scored, I thought the McCann line was the worst line we had for most of the game. Vey line playing pretty well actually.

I really liked the virt Dorsett and zalewski line

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
1 - its a show, you take your time. you also get a lot more time between picks in the first round.

2 - BPA is not that simple. Forwards are safer than D men or goalies.

3 - While there are not that many trades, it seems that GM's are constantly talking at the draft. Particularly if you have a player that you really think is special, and its in the range ....

True, in all regards, however I think most teams have their lists set going into the draft. A lot of the talk relates to unforeseen ways in which the draft plays out, and makes teams second guess their lists.

Speaking of forwards vs dmen and goalies, I think that's where the notion of BPA becomes cloudy. It's a lot easier to determine which out of a group of forwards or conversely goalies you want. It's a lot harder to compare and integrate forwards and dmen into the same list.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Virt plays the best when he's hitting everything in sight. Not sure how he can do it every game, but that's the style he needs to play if he wants an NHL career.

And that breakaway...so close.

The breakaway and other such glimpses imply to me that he doesnt need to replicate dorsetts career trajectory.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Virt plays the best when he's hitting everything in sight. Not sure how he can do it every game, but that's the style he needs to play if he wants an NHL career.

And that breakaway...so close.

But that was the beauty of this game... Virtanen found the perfect balance for his physical play... SOOOO many times he could of hit a guy for the sake of it, but it would taken him out of the play.

He picked his opportunities smartly, peeled when he had to and worked to get back to the right side of the puck... it was great to see. (led to a couple nice back checks as well).

I'm still wondering how he got his shot off the way he did on that breakaway... i gotta go back and see it again.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
But that was the beauty of this game... Virtanen found the perfect balance for his physical play... SOOOO many times he could of hit a guy for the sake of it, but it would taken him out of the play.

He picked his opportunities smartly, peeled when he had to and worked to get back to the right side of the puck... it was great to see. (led to a couple nice back checks as well).

I'm still wondering how he got his shot off the way he did on that breakaway... i gotta go back and see it again.

His skating is also very effortless during that breakway. Looked like he was just gliding, but gaining an extra step on the Bruin every second to the point he had to start slashing Virt just to catch up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad