Post-Game Talk: GAME #48: Canucks 2 vs. Oilers 3 (S/O)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This coach needs to step up and partially own this result. Goldy could have made a difference in this one, if not on the pp then definitely in the shootout.

I think those were four of the worst shootout attempts I've ever seen. Granlund to start it off? Are you kidding? And Horvat and Boeser didn't even force the goalie to make a save.

When the Canucks are dusting off the golf clubs in early April, these are the kind of squandered points that will be the difference unfortunately.
Before tonights game..Goldy was 0 for 3 attempts in the shootout...Granlund was 2 for 2....You're writing a lot of garbage lately.

Reactions: Canucks1096

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game was entertaining but in terms of play making and passing pretty much an extension of the Florida game. Canucks not showing an ability to make plays under pressure especially on the PP. Other team puts on some pressure and the Canucks have difficulty making a pass or getting into space to make a play. So many blind, back hand passes and often no one even there to receive the pass. This team, without Pettersson, lacks the finesse to move the puck well thru the neutral zone and in the offensive end. Most every chance comes off the forecheck and banging the puck toward the net.

Game that took many turns and in terms of individual players many had some good and bad sequences. Few were steadily good. That said

The Good

Tanev - did a good job on McDavid in the main and good on the PK

Edler - had poor start and not that good in OT. But for the bulk of the game was an essential player defensively

Virtanen - thought he had an effective game. Would have used him in the shoot out.

Markstrom - only reason we got a point. Maybe one of the goals could have been stopped but otherwise he was terrific. He is the main reason this team is hanging in.

Sutter - scored and did good defensive job on McDavid. However, his limitations offensively very evident at times. Did play his role well enough and helped the team have a good night on face offs.

Granlund - was going some in this game. Decent on the PK and created some offense. Good as it gets with this player.

Hutton - too bad about the goal. Rest seems to have got Hutton back up to speed after a pretty poor road trip. Was our best offensive defenseman in this game and moving feet a lot better.. Provided good support defensively and offensively

The Bad

Pouliot - at times Pouliot makes some decent passes. But he made some glaring mistakes and only got bailed out by some good play by Markstrom and other players.

Baertschi - maybe made one good move all game and then provided a poor feed to Horvat on that chance. Otherwise he messed up some good chances with poor and ill-conceived passes. Was very soft and lost puck battles all game. Lacks any upper level speed and thus can't back off the defense and is easily handled at the blue line. Play in own zone, on many shifts, was very weak and Canucks ended up hemmed in their zone b/c Sven couldn't get puck out.

Others

Boeser - showed some good jump early but his shooting has tailed off. Too many turn overs on the PP. Seems to be some panic in his play.

Motte - how did he miss the chance in the second. Example of his lack of good stick around the net and elsewhere. Like how he forces the play but his stick work is very sub-par

Stecher - has been better of late but his over passing in the offenisve zone shows the lack of confidence he has in his offensive game.

Horvat - very quiet for most of the game but came alive late and in OT. Play has tailed off lately but maybe some signs that he is getting his game back together.

Schaller - one of his better games. Yet his lack of ice time indicates Green doesn't trust him. Thought he was playing good enough to get a little more ice time tonight.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Hutton seems to have righted himself. A complete season without Guds as his partner should solidify that.

It was infuriating to see Hutton have a goal stolen from him because of that BS offside review! A black mark in an otherwise a great game!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wow what an OT!!!

Been on #teammarky since the beginning, good to see he is getting some numbers now that match his play.

We're not a good team and although I like Green overall he is making some dumb dumb decisions every game that is costing us. Ironically, it is clear he thinks these moves are what he has to do to win, and he obviously wants to make the playoffs desperately.

Yeah Goldy has tailed off but I don't know how you look at Schaller and say that was an upgrade. And where he has Boeser on the PP is just idiotic. I can only assume that PP formation is Green's influence because it looks nothing like the one-timer setup from earlier in the season. And I know Edler's continued presence on the PP is definitely on Green - which IMO has lead to the stupid Boeser at the point configuration.

Some of the usual suspects didn't suck as badly tonight and we still barely kept up with a very flawed Edmonton team. That's sad. If we got into the playoffs, even with EP and Marky playing well I still think we get spanked.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Me after Gudbranson/Kassian:
"Wouldn't it be funny if Kassian injured Horvat because Gudbranson won't fight someone he doesn't have a huge size advantage over"

A few minutes later:
"Oh shit oh shit"

It didn't look serious though at the time

Great OT though and I'm glad that Markstrom might start to get the recognition he deserves. We nailed it with both the Luongo and Schneider trades.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Me after Gudbranson/Kassian:
"Wouldn't it be funny if Kassian injured Horvat because Gudbranson won't fight someone he doesn't have a huge size advantage over"

A few minutes later:
"Oh **** oh ****"

It didn't look serious though at the time

Great OT though and I'm glad that Markstrom might start to get the recognition he deserves. We nailed it with both the Luongo and Schneider trades.
Like those trades were preconceived....my god ,you're deluded

Like he intended to get rid of both of them?.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Like those trades were preconceived....my god ,you're deluded

Like he intended to get rid of both of them?.

Why not? He wanted to rebuild the team. You are aware that he wasn't forced to trade Luongo, aren't you? Why would he want star goaltenders on a rebuilding team? Why did he trade them for picks and prospects rather than "win now" players?

Honestly if doesn't even matter if he didn't want to, he made lemonade and acquired a #1C and a #1G in two trades he was allegedly "fleeced" in that pretty much got him fired. Should be embarrassing to all those who said we traded for a #3C and an AHL/backup goaltender

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why not? He wanted to rebuild the team. You are aware that he wasn't forced to trade Luongo, aren't you? Why would he want star goaltenders on a rebuilding team? Why did he trade them for picks and prospects rather than "win now" players?

Honestly if doesn't even matter if he didn't want to, he made lemonade and acquired a #1C and a #1G in two trades he was allegedly "fleeced" in that pretty much got him fired.
Bullshit....He absolutely had no intention trading both of them ...you know it, and i know it, and everybody else knows it...It backfired, and blew up in his face..Probably was one of the big reasons he was fired...He turned a position of elite strength (goaltending),into a position of weakness..known fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Bull****....He absolutely had no intention trading both of them ...you know it, and i know it, and everybody else knows it...It backfired, and blew up in his face..Probably was one of the big reasons he was fired...He turned a position of strength,into a position of weakness..known fact.

Again, it doesn't matter. It backfired? It was the best thing that could have happened to this team if it didn't get Gillis fired. We traded two goaltenders who would be past their prime right now to rebuild with an 18 year old #1C and a #1G

Even if it wasn't intended he made the best of a bad situation and that's a pretty good trait in a GM. Also, the "bad situation" was because the rules were literally changed on how contracts worked without grandfathering in existing contracts, something ownership signed off on. It was entirely out of his control.

Also, how can you say it wasn't his intention with a straight face? Luongo's contract was literally designed to make him valuable to a cap floor team so we could trade him when he was aging. If we were competing we would have kept Schneider but Gillis wanted to rebuild and made the trade when he saw Horvat was available at #9 and at the time said they rated him much higher.

To suggest he never had it in his mind that he would trade both goalies is to be completely ignorant of the facts.

Reactions: Ryp37

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
How exactly did it backfire? The team literally made the playoffs with a 1.5 million dollar free agent Gillis signed the next season.

There’s a lot of rumblings out on why he had to trade Schneider too, I know “pastor” loves to ask for sources, but it’s a pretty well known rumour in Canucks circles.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Marky Mark playing superbly. We desperately need Petey back. I know most of you will come to Boesers defence and say he’s playing banged up etc etc which could be or couldn’t be true, but I’ve said it all along, since his rookie year. I was soooooooo happy we didn’t extend him after his rookie season like there was some talk of doing. He is just is not a good all around hockey player in my opinion. He’s not fast, agile, smart. He generally doesn’t see the ice very well and makes a lot of terrible choices with the puck in EVERY single game. His passing is average at best. The worst part is that I know we are going to pay him, and it’s going to be more than he is worth. To me anything over 5.5-6 is over payment. It’s quite evident watching him that he can’t create on his own. Having Petey back will help him immensely, but it’s a shame he can’t do it on his own.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Marky Mark playing superbly. We desperately need Petey back. I know most of you will come to Boesers defence and say he’s playing banged up etc etc which could be or couldn’t be true, but I’ve said it all along, since his rookie year. I was soooooooo happy we didn’t extend him after his rookie season like there was some talk of doing. He is just is not a good all around hockey player in my opinion. He’s not fast, agile, smart. He generally doesn’t see the ice very well and makes a lot of terrible choices with the puck in EVERY single game. His passing is average at best. The worst part is that I know we are going to pay him, and it’s going to be more than he is worth. To me anything over 5.5-6 is over payment. It’s quite evident watching him that he can’t create on his own. Having Petey back will help him immensely, but it’s a shame he can’t do it on his own.

I could not disagree more. He's a good Passer and creative player who is currently plating with players who are not meshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->