GDT: Game 47: Sabres vs Flames - 1/16 9:30pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
cut.jpg

Game Preview: 1/16/19 at Calgary

LAST GAME
Monday, January 14
Buffalo 2 at Edmonton 7
Goals: Mittelstadt, Rodrigues
Goalie: Hutton (7 saves/12 shots) / Ullmark (11 saves/13 shots)
PP: 0/4; PK: 0/1; Shots: Buffalo 43 – Edmonton 25

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 171)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 17 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/11: Activated F Jack Eichel from IR; Assigned F C.J. Smith to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Friday, Jan. 18: Buffalo at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 29: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 30: Buffalo at Dallas, 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 1: Chicago at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 5: Minnesota at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at FLAMES

• This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Flames this season.
  • Last meeting: Calgary defeated Buffalo 2-1 (OT) in Buffalo on Oct. 30, 2018
  • The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Flames; 2-7-1 on the road.
  • This is the 109th game all-time between Buffalo and Calgary/Atlanta; Buffalo has a 52-37-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 19-23-12 on the road against the Flames all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
  • The Sabres are 12-3-5 all-time on January 16.
  • January 16, 1970: George “Punch” Imlach is named general manager and coach of the Sabres.
  • January 16, 2016: Zach Bogosian records his 99th and 100th career assists in Buffalo’s 4-1 win vs. Washington.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
  • Tonight’s game is the second game in a three-game road trip through Western Canada for the Sabres. Buffalo is 9-3-1 against the Pacific Division this season.
  • The Sabres and Flames have split their season series in each of the last four seasons. Buffalo needs a win tonight to avoid the first series sweep by either team since Calgary won both matchups in the 2013-14 season.
  • Rasmus Ristolainen has totaled seven points (4+3) in seven games against the Flames since the beginning of the 2015-16 season, including five points (3+2) in three road games.
  • Jeff Skinner has posted nine points (3+6) in his last eight matchups with the Flames, including five points (2+3) in his last three visits to Calgary.
  • Kyle Okposo has recorded eight points (2+6) in his last nine games against the Flames.
  • Jack Eichel has scored in each of his last three meetings with Calgary.
  • Rasmus Dahlin enters tonight’s game on a four-game point streak (0+5), tying his previous career-best streak set in November. During his current streak, Dahlin has a plus-2 rating, and has averaged 22:14 of ice time and 3.75 shots per game.
  • Sam Reinhart has already set career-high totals in assists (32) and multi-point games (13) this season. The Sabres are 17-7-4 this season when he records at least one point and 28-4-6 (.816) in his career when he records at least two.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This Western road trip is going to be the tipping point for this season I suspect.
Calgary is just to good, Buffalo won't be able to over come them I suspect.

It's getting ugly here in Buffalo again. If the metric for progress is the season being over in Jan. as opposed to Nov., then mission accomplished. But this team is in a tail spin that has ramifications beyond just the games they play now, it has to be demoralizing to these young players, 4 to 6 yrs for so many of our new core and no playoffs in sight. A breaking point is definitely being reached I strongly suspect.

Good luck boys, but you have no confidence from me at least, that you can win this game.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
This Western road trip is going to be the tipping point for this season I suspect.

It's getting ugly here in Buffalo again. If the metric for progress is the season being over in Jan. as opposed to Nov., then mission accomplished. But this team is in a tail spin that has ramifications beyond just the games they play now, it has to be demoralizing to these young players, 4 to 6 yrs for so many of our new core and no playoffs in sight. A breaking point is definitely being reached I strongly suspect.

Good luck boys, but you have no confidence from me at least, that you can win this game.
lead_720_405.jpg

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Starting to fall back of the pack.

Need to find a way to win these next 2 going into the break to keep hope alive. Especially considering all the teams ahead of us are rolling :thumbd:

Predicting a 6-3 loss with Calgary's red hot offense torching our horrid D who are playing the worst they have all season currently.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Sabres with a blowout win. 9-1. Thinking of putting down some money on this game. Eichel with 5 points. Skinner 3 goals.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yea, I’ll go against the grain here. Sabres look better tonight. 3-2 win.

Risto, Eichel, or Dahlin with a goal.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It's amazing how quickly the Sabres have managed to create and then kill all excitement and joy for this season.

In just over a month, Sabres games have gone from "must watch every minute, any game could be a wild comeback" to "ugh, probably another loss incoming. Maybe I'll put the first period or two on in the background while I do something else."

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'm expecting the same thing as I expected from the Lightning game.

After a piss poor showing the game before, the effort will be renewed but the opponent is too good and the Sabres will fall just short.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Oh my lord, stay away from open ovens.

Reactions: Icicle

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's a team they should lose to which means they'll blow a 4-2 lead late in the 3rd and lose in OT. Then said game will be brought up for the next 2 weeks in an argument about how "We're actually not playing that bad!".

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Trying to figure out which scenario I would prefer:

1) Getting completely dominated by Calgary, with 5v5 shot attempts like 65% in favor of Calgary, but eeking out a 2-1 win with goals from, idk, Sobotka and Larsson.

2) Playing an even, high-event game with a superior team, but losing 6-5 in regulation, with big nights from Jack, Jeff, Sam, etc.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
This is one of those games where you expect a full effort, of course at the expense of getting thrashed in the preceding game.
If getting owned by Zack Kassian and Milan Lucic isn't enough to light a fire under your game, then time to pack it in.

I'm a sucker fan so I'm calling for an ugly but effective win, 4-3 OT. These guys have shown massive character in the past and I think they bring it tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad