GDT: Game 47: Detroit Red Wings @ New York Islanders - 1/14/2020 - 7 PM

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
It's not about the first overall chances, it's about being assured we don't pick 6th again. We can guarantee 4th is the worst it'll get.

We're already down here. Might as well make it work for us. We'd be changing coaches, trying to win games and watering down the tank that's fallen into our lap for... what, exactly? Pride? We swallowed our pride 10 games back. Shame? That's long gone. Unencumbered by things like pride and shame, we can just focus on accumulating and maximizing the assets that will rebuild this team.

Yzerman says he has a lot of faith in Blashill from a developmental standpoint. And oddly enough, tickets are selling quite well. That's all I really need to hear. Let it ride.
and then NJ wins the lottery again...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's not about the first overall chances, it's about being assured we don't pick 6th again. We can guarantee 4th is the worst it'll get.

We're already down here. Might as well make it work for us. We'd be changing coaches, trying to win games and watering down the tank that's fallen into our lap for... what, exactly? Pride? We swallowed our pride 10 games back. Shame? That's long gone. Unencumbered by things like pride and shame, we can just focus on accumulating and maximizing the assets that will rebuild this team.

Yzerman says he has a lot of faith in Blashill from a developmental standpoint. And oddly enough, tickets are selling quite well. That's all I really need to hear. Let it ride.
Yeah guaranteeing no worse than 4th is the real win. Regardless of lottery we’ll get our highest pick in decades.
Just think we’d maximize our assets gained by being a little better up until the TDL.

Reactions: Darkseider

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'd say the biggest difference this year and from last year is that last year the goalies stole us some games and points and this year it isn't happening all the often if they basically allow 5 goals per games most nights.
Hallo Howard. Nice to see you have an account here and want to chip in.

Bernie is almost .500 and has had some decent games and his numbers are quite good.
We actually won 2 games in a row, then Howard is back and we get outscored 3-13 last 2 games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Players don't care because management doesn't care. Yzerman keeping Blashill around basically signals zero accountability for the season.
I for one do not want Yzerman to act quickly in his first year on the job. This is a terrible roster, regardless of coaching, and he's well aware that this is a long-term project to fix.

Do I think Blashill needs to be replaced before this team gets anywhere near the playoffs? Probably. But not in January, when there's so much player turnover needed and the deadline is the first realistic chance at doing some of that.

As for accountability, I see a lot more of it this year than last year. Veterans that previously had carte blanche are now being benched. Hockey trades are happening again. And no matter how ridiculous I think the entire situation is, Yzerman definitely had something to do with Larkin apologizing about the All Star game.

The GM said that Year 1 would be taking stock of what he inherited, and so far, I like the decisions he's made (particularly the Fabbri trade and keeping Zadina in the NHL). Let's give him the rest of the season before labeling this regime as being deficient in any way.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
This is what everyone wants right? To lose so we might actually get Lafreniere? Were losing and people just want to can Blashill? It doesnt matter what coach is behind the bench right now, if you have no goaltending and only a few (Hronek and to a much lesser extent Green and Nemeth) defensmen, alongside and barely non exsistant offense, youre not gonna win many games and it shows. If DeKeyser was healthy, and Howard didnt completely fall off a cliff, things maybe a bit better.

For now, you might as well keep Blashill until after the season is done. Make sure you have the worst possible record and have the best chance for Lafreniere.

While I agree there's no point in changing horses midstream, where the Wings are potentially screwed, is that they have a 50% chance of picking 4th. They'll be historic or near historic bad (is there a worse than the 1976-77 season?), but I don't doubt the league will throw them a bone, like they've done with Pittsburgh, and because of all the 1sts that Edmonton got.

Getting really bad losses isn't going to get them bonus points in the tank.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Hallo Howard. Nice to see you have an account here and want to chip in.

Bernie is almost .500 and has had some decent games and his numbers are quite good.
We actually won 2 games in a row, then Howard is back and we get outscored 3-13 last 2 games.
Bernie has been fine lately, but a while back (~20 or 30 games in?) Bernie's stats were identical to Howard's and we were already deep into last place.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I don't think there's a huge difference between 4th and 6th.
I think the goal should be last for the best odds at a lottery ball. And we've basically got it clinched.
We don't need to suck this bad in the second half.
Shitty things can happen on teams that suck this badly

I could give a f*** what Yzerman says for public consumption. He told the Athletic that he thinks the Wings are still skating hard and trying.

Who is watching Mike Green and thinking he looks like he gives a f***?
What kind of role model is this veteran setting for all the young defensemen on the team?

All the underperforming, overpaid veterans.

All the 20-somethings who took a step backward.

The 20-21-22 year olds who are afraid to play because every mistake is a goal.

Let it ride?
That's insane.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

The tank is already ours, no one else is doing bad enough combined with us doing well enough that we can make that difference up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
While I agree there's no point in changing horses midstream, where the Wings are potentially screwed, is that they have a 50% chance of picking 4th. They'll be historic or near historic bad (is there a worse than the 1976-77 season?), but I don't doubt the league will throw them a bone, like they've done with Pittsburgh, and because of all the 1sts that Edmonton got.

Most of their "really bad losses" are damn near universally related to incredibly bad luck. Now, struggling and being on your back foot in games builds up bad luck because you're putting yourself in bad spots... but really, the first like two or three goals against Pickard were bouncy crap that could happen to anyone.

Givani Smith with a pass back to Green who can't handle it and it goes directly to Brock Nelson coming out of the box. Alex Biega trying to catch the puck on its way through and therefore deflecting it when had he just let it be, it hits Pickard and nobody even registers it as a high danger attempt. The pass along the wall that hit a stanchion and bounced off the side of the net instead of going around behind the net.

Losing 8-1 is horrible. Absolute garbage... but you gotta see how those 8 are going in. It wasn't systematic failures but guys being in right places and flubbing it. Absolute lack of talent.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Most of their "really bad losses" are damn near universally related to incredibly bad luck. Now, struggling and being on your back foot in games builds up bad luck because you're putting yourself in bad spots... but really, the first like two or three goals against Pickard were bouncy crap that could happen to anyone.

Givani Smith with a pass back to Green who can't handle it and it goes directly to Brock Nelson coming out of the box. Alex Biega trying to catch the puck on its way through and therefore deflecting it when had he just let it be, it hits Pickard and nobody even registers it as a high danger attempt. The pass along the wall that hit a stanchion and bounced off the side of the net instead of going around behind the net.

Losing 8-1 is horrible. Absolute garbage... but you gotta see how those 8 are going in. It wasn't systematic failures but guys being in right places and flubbing it. Absolute lack of talent.

Flubs are a mental part of the game. Coaches are supposed to help teams play with focus.

And yes, players did the wrong things last night. That just wasn't unskilled players making execution errors (and again, coaching helps execution). It was players playing unstructured hockey, being in the wrong place, putting the puck in places where it shouldn't go.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
ANA sits at 30th with 39 points.

If ANA finished 5 - 31, Detroit would have to go 11-24 to tie.
If ANA finished 10-26, Detroit would have to go 16-19 to tie.
6 wins behind is a HUGE gap when you're legit bad like the Wings.

We are safely cemented in last place.

Im not saying it’s likely. I’m just saying it possible. I understand people’s concerns. Though I do not share those same concerns. Hockey can be weird at times, I could see Anaheim totally shitting the bed and Detroit going on a crazy stupid run. Didn’t we go 9 and 1 At the end of the year last year, or something like that. Entirely on the backs of four players. I don’t think it’s going to happen but I think it’s happened recently enough that I won’t be dismissive of people with those concerns and act like they’re stupid.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
When are people going to understand that we don't need to lose by 3-6 goals every game to get the #1 pick.
We're 12 points back. The damage is done.
If we returned to last year's level the rest of the way. There are 35 games left. If we picked up 28 points - last year's level of bad - we'd finish with 55 points.

The second-worst team in the league is the Ducks. For them to finish with LESS than 55 points, they'd have to put up 15 points in the next 36 games.
That's 7-28-1.

We're ****ing safely in DEAD LAST.

Stop defending LCA ****show.

Things kinda changed since last night lol

Last night, to me, there were no viable options for a head coaching change. Then I woke up to the news that Gallant was fired from Vegas and of course now my opinion has changed obviously changed because Gallant would be perfect for us. Not to mention I dont feel like he will be available for long too so to me we have to jump on the chance. And hopefully at least we would look like a better team.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Bernie has been fine lately, but a while back (~20 or 30 games in?) Bernie's stats were identical to Howard's and we were already deep into last place.

I even think that Howard had the better stats back in October.

Anyhow, Bernie has been quite decent lately. We have actually won 11 games, 2 with Howard 9 with Bernie. Howard won 2 games back in October and none since.

Howard is done as a starter in this league, there should not be any doubt about it.

If Bernie can provide us some solid goaltending and steal a game here and there then he is fine in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->