GDT: Game 47: Detroit Red Wings @ New York Islanders - 1/14/2020 - 7 PM

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
80% would be roughly 5 guys? Yeah. I can see that. Larkin, Bert, Mantha, Hronek, Zadina. I could see Smith making the list, too. So, 77%.

Yup. That's my guess. You end up with 4-5 guys left after 2 years. It's a total renovation.

Which is honestly kind of exciting once you get over the fact we have to endure this historically bad season. And a bad one next year. Probably not this bad. But bad.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
With what is in our system or lack there of I believe we are in for at least 1-2 more years of this bare minimum.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Green is the most nonchalant NHL defenseman I can remember seeing in about three decades of viewing. He's fine for our terrible team but man would he give me heartburn on a team that was actually trying to win something.

Even on a losing team though, he is a professional athlete. Put some effort and passion into your game. I don’t care how awful this team is, you’re a veteran, play with some heart and integrity

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd say the biggest difference this year and from last year is that last year the goalies stole us some games and points and this year it isn't happening all the often if they basically allow 5 goals per games most nights.
Last year Larkin care . This year he still not a Capitan, just trade him , let man enjoy the game

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
It says plenty about this season that we outshoot one of the more miserly teams in the league by nearly 30%, have an even wider differential in shot attempts, a similar number of good chances and get absolutely blown out.

Its amazing how much Howard has fallen off a cliff. Could barely stop a beach ball at the moment. Poor old Pickard is comfortably statistically the worse goalie in the NHL this year. Why did they waive Comrie again?

The rest of this season is hoping for the best for anyone under the age of 25, hoping some older guys net some picks or reclamation jobs. and hoping for lottery luck. Nice to see Hronek on pace to be the wings best goalscoring D in a good few years. And good for Givani Smith, who despite being no-ones description of a skill player, is at least looking like an NHL-er of some description

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Why make a coaching change during a tank year? Yzerman is taking a crack at the Quebecois Kid. Make the change behind the bench when the tank dust settles.

This is what everyone wants right? To lose so we might actually get Lafreniere? Were losing and people just want to can Blashill? It doesnt matter what coach is behind the bench right now, if you have no goaltending and only a few (Hronek and to a much lesser extent Green and Nemeth) defensmen, alongside and barely non exsistant offense, youre not gonna win many games and it shows. If DeKeyser was healthy, and Howard didnt completely fall off a cliff, things maybe a bit better.

For now, you might as well keep Blashill until after the season is done. Make sure you have the worst possible record and have the best chance for Lafreniere.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I’m not sure why people are acting like we are competing with anyone else for the worst record. Even if prime Scotty Bowman showed up tomorrow to coach the rest of the season we would still comfortably be in last.

it’s about not being embarrassed game in game out and stunting development of the kids

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m not sure why people are acting like we are competing with anyone else for the worst record. Even if prime Scotty Bowman showed up tomorrow to coach the rest of the season we would still comfortably be in last.

it’s about not being embarrassed game in game out and stunting development of the kids
Yeah it’s like people think that 18% chance at #1 is much better if we’re last by a 30 point margin. And if we were to place 2nd last, the chance is what, 16%? Oh the terror...

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

probly because our crazy run less than a year ago? 12 points seems like a lot until some weird shit happens and we ring off 6 in a row or something and we’re only four points out of 2nd. Hockey can be strange.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is what everyone wants right? To lose so we might actually get Lafreniere? Were losing and people just want to can Blashill? It doesnt matter what coach is behind the bench right now, if you have no goaltending and only a few (Hronek and to a much lesser extent Green and Nemeth) defensmen, alongside and barely non exsistant offense, youre not gonna win many games and it shows. If DeKeyser was healthy, and Howard didnt completely fall off a cliff, things maybe a bit better.

For now, you might as well keep Blashill until after the season is done. Make sure you have the worst possible record and have the best chance for Lafreniere.

When are people going to understand that we don't need to lose by 3-6 goals every game to get the #1 pick.
We're 12 points back. The damage is done.
If we returned to last year's level the rest of the way. There are 35 games left. If we picked up 28 points - last year's level of bad - we'd finish with 55 points.

The second-worst team in the league is the Ducks. For them to finish with LESS than 55 points, they'd have to put up 15 points in the next 36 games.
That's 7-28-1.

We're f***ing safely in DEAD LAST.

Stop defending LCA shitshow.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yeah it’s like people think that 18% chance at #1 is much better if we’re last by a 30 point margin. And if we were to place 2nd last, the chance is what, 16%? Oh the terror...

The focus is or should be the development of young/core players and trading of other players for picks/prospects.
I agree with all of you that watching this team is painful, it is real painful. But getting a top 3 pick is real important.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
probly because our crazy run less than a year ago? 12 points seems like a lot until some weird **** happens and we ring off 6 in a row or something and we’re only four points out of 2nd. Hockey can be strange.
ANA sits at 30th with 39 points.

If ANA finished 5 - 31, Detroit would have to go 11-24 to tie.
If ANA finished 10-26, Detroit would have to go 16-19 to tie.
6 wins behind is a HUGE gap when you're legit bad like the Wings.

We are safely cemented in last place.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The best part of the game day threads is posters acting like they just figured out that this team is really, really bad (and does the things that really, really bad teams do). It is like the first 40+ games of the season didn't happen. I honestly don't get how people can be outraged at this point. On a nightly basis our defense includes Madison Bowey, Brian f***ing Lashoff and Alex Biega. Are people really surprised that we routinely lose by multiple goals? Really? I get that tonight was an extreme case but even with a better effort the most realistic result was a multiple-goal loss.

The margin for error with this team was super, super thin to begin with (even assuming perfect health). Add in Jimmy falling off of the cliff and the injuries to DDK, Mantha, AA and Bernier and you are hiking up the north face of Eiger in flip flops.

This team is like all bad teams in all team sports at all levels. As proud as some of them may be personally, they know that they can't out score their mistakes. If they are behind big early they fold like a vinyl law chair like zillions of bad teams before them and like zillions of bad teams to come. This is why goaltending is such a crucial issue with this team. We don't need our goalies to steal us games, but they absolutely cannot play us out of games early.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
giphy.gif

Reactions: Sentinel
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's not about the first overall chances, it's about being assured we don't pick 6th again. We can guarantee 4th is the worst it'll get.

We're already down here. Might as well make it work for us. We'd be changing coaches, trying to win games and watering down the tank that's fallen into our lap for... what, exactly? Pride? We swallowed our pride 10 games back. Shame? That's long gone. Unencumbered by things like pride and shame, we can just focus on accumulating and maximizing the assets that will rebuild this team.

Yzerman says he has a lot of faith in Blashill from a developmental standpoint. And oddly enough, tickets are selling quite well. That's all I really need to hear. Let it ride.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad