GDT: Game 47: Detroit Red Wings @ New York Islanders - 1/14/2020 - 7 PM

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.

We currently are historically bad. What do we gain by becoming less than historically bad this year? Why fire him and get the pick of only the best coaches who aren’t coaching a team in the middle of the year when you can suck and finish out and have a bigger choice at end of season

Any chance is good at this point.. We got Bylsma who is also trash. Just in a different form.. The year may be lost in terms of the standings, but it's still a calendar year for player development. Losing by 5 or 6 goals on a nightly basis doesn't help development for anyone on this team, even if we improve by the smallest of percentages it's still worth it.. I doubt any of the coaching staff is back next year but some of these players will be. Give them at least some glimpse that someone out there cares.. The vets and coaches have been the biggest disappointment the last few years. Can't blame the kids...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Any chance is good at this point.. We got Bylsma who is also trash. Just in a different form.. The year may be lost in terms of the standings, but it's still a calendar year for player development. Losing by 5 or 6 goals on a nightly basis doesn't help development for anyone on this team, even if we improve by the smallest of percentages it's still worth it.. I doubt any of the coaching staff is back next year but some of these players will be. Give them at least some glimpse that someone out there cares.. The vets and coaches have been the biggest disappointment the last few years. Can't blame the kids...

The **** you can’t. Kids can make terrible mistakes just like vets. It shouldn’t be acceptable to be a bad hockey player because you’re young. Madison Bowey is a young player and he’s also really bad at hockey.

The Wings are just woefully undertalented right now.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
I'd say the biggest difference this year and from last year is that last year the goalies stole us some games and points and this year it isn't happening all the often if they basically allow 5 goals per games most nights.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The **** you can’t. Kids can make terrible mistakes just like vets. It shouldn’t be acceptable to be a bad hockey player because you’re young. Madison Bowey is a young player and he’s also really bad at hockey.

The Wings are just woefully undertalented right now.

You can make bad plays, and be undisciplined sure. But to blame the state of the team on them is ludicrous. The vets and coaches have let this season go into a downward spiral so badly, while providing no stabilizing presence. I'm not saying give the kids a free pass but they have zero support... Who is showing them how to grow and develop and learn? Blashill, Blysma, Nielsen, Green, Howard, Abdelkader... All guys collecting their cheques, while being checked out.

Reactions: Titan6lie and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.

We currently are historically bad. What do we gain by becoming less than historically bad this year? Why fire him and get the pick of only the best coaches who aren’t coaching a team in the middle of the year when you can suck and finish out and have a bigger choice at end of season

1) More entertainment watching our favorite team.
2) Kids who aren't learning terrible habits and bad lessons.
3) Remember all those wings fans who crowed about "winning culture." Yeah. That was always overblown. But it still meant something. So the flipside is losing culture. And it might be best not to let 7-1 games become acceptable.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'd say the biggest difference this year and from last year is that last year the goalies stole us some games and points and this year it isn't happening all the often if they basically allow 5 goals per games most nights.
Injuries? Hello? Mantha is going to play even fewer games that last season. Same with DeKeyser.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think Bernier would have presentable numbers if he was playing for a lot of other teams this season. I don't blame Bernier.

Howard, okay: He's probably stolen some losses this season instead of stealing wins. But you know, he's at retirement age. That's nobody's fault. They gave him a contract, thankfully, that was mindful of the possibility of him having to retire soon. Unfortunately though, they didn't really have a replacement ready to take over for him, which is the other half of being mindful that you have a goalie reaching retirement age.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
"And they score!"

stunned silence.

"Wow."

Honestly I expect about 80-90% turnover in the next 2ish years.

80% would be roughly 5 guys? Yeah. I can see that. Larkin, Bert, Mantha, Hronek, Zadina. I could see Smith making the list, too. So, 77%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->