GDT: Game #47 - CBJ vs BOS - 14 Jan, 7pm, @Nat

Status
Not open for further replies.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
One of the refs behind the play signaled that Bems was cross-checked into Rask. I haven't seen a good replay to determine if that's what happened, but it may explain why there wasn't a penalty.
Boston player jabbed Bems and his elbow caught Rask. Kind of a bum deal for Rask, and Bems too.

Players seem to love pushing and shoving opposing players into their own goalie for some reason.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How did Elvis go from completely overmatched to Patrick Roy in the course of 2 weeks?

Fried banana sandwiches??

btw, nice avatar (class of ‘76 here)

Lasse Jr. Miss is Class of 2020.

Can’t make a long-term definitive statement about Elvis just yet - only fools rush in - but I can’t help falling in love with the guy.

Last edited:

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Its 5.18AM.

the third period made it worth staying up late.

Cya tomorrow gents.

And f*** yeah!

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Lasse Jr. Miss is Class of 2020.

Can’t make a long-term definitive statement about Elvis just yet - only fools rush in - but I can’t help falling in love with the guy.

Cautious optimism as I call it. Sometimes it can be a soothing and moderately exciting feeling that hes going to be alright I guess.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Cautious optimism as I call it. Sometimes it can be a soothing and moderately exciting feeling that hes going to be alright I guess.

Elvis has been playing some Springsteen in his head, "At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet and a freight train running through the middle of my head... Only you can cool my desire oh oh oh I'm on Fire" sweet, so sweet

Reactions: EspenK

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Last edited:

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Didnt believe my eyes when i check the livescore. CBJ - BOS 3-0 Wenny with a goal, Nash with a goal. I believe in miracles. Wenny should be at shooters place at PP. #Wenny50goals

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't know how the hell Torts is doing this.
Torts has been staying true to what he believes this team is capable of. They players have bought in, and these are the results. It probably helped that they had the call ups, because the younger guys will buy in quicker because they haven't been around as long. The winning is infectious, and the vets have started to come around. Some guys still aren't scoring, but they are doing the behind the scenes stuff. Elvis has stepped in nicely. If he stays this hot, you definately ride him out, but when or if he cools, you go back to the way it was, just give him more games to keep the goalies fresh. With all the one goal games at the beginning of the year, you could see the team was not as bad as it looked. They really started to turn things around just before the injuries hit. I really like how they have seemed to cut down the bad penalties. Staying out of the box is huge for these guys because defensively, 5 on 5, this team has been tough.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Torts has been staying true to what he believes this team is capable of. They players have bought in, and these are the results. It probably helped that they had the call ups, because the younger guys will buy in quicker because they haven't been around as long. The winning is infectious, and the vets have started to come around. Some guys still aren't scoring, but they are doing the behind the scenes stuff. Elvis has stepped in nicely. If he stays this hot, you definately ride him out, but when or if he cools, you go back to the way it was, just give him more games to keep the goalies fresh. With all the one goal games at the beginning of the year, you could see the team was not as bad as it looked. They really started to turn things around just before the injuries hit. I really like how they have seemed to cut down the bad penalties. Staying out of the box is huge for these guys because defensively, 5 on 5, this team has been tough.
Very good points. Veteran guys (or even young guys who have had success doing it another way) are often tough to change.
It's amazing to watch a bunch of mutts (in a loving term) play so well!

Reactions: Monstershockey

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
God Broons fans are salty about the hit.
Bemstrom is now "some guy on the Blue Jackets apparently."

So now we've got "what's a Texier?" and "some guy on the Blue Jackets apparently". Did I miss anyone? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"He played not terrible". Again. Right bus?

Im stunned by how far this team has progressed in 6 weeks. There's discipline, there's resilience and more.

@thebus88

You ok there? Time to admit it’s not Elvis or Korpi that are great (although the arey doing their part) but our system and defensive lineup

Korpisalo has had games just as good and is the better goalie. From what Merzlikins looked like at the start of the year, I honestly wasn't sure if he could put it together and be capable enough to start/play games on a regular basis, or really, at all. I was wrong. Korpisalo is still better.

Merzlikins' footwork and overall movement on the ice, along with his ability to make himself seem bigger in the net has gotten much better from the start of the year. He also seems much more controlled and calm (movements and "mentally") when needed, however, its probably due to simple experience/playing time as this is still VERY early in his career and he has essentially been thrown to the wolves after the injury to Korpisalo. 1 thing to not forget is that Merzlikins is not a "young" goalie and that his "growth" or overall ability might not get much different than where he is at right now. I mean HE DID look terrible to start the year, and his total LACK of experience was essentially based on certain decisions we were told he made about playing in NA. Also, his overall record is still 6-6-4. Ignoring the simple lack of total games, and not going on a rant about "Bettman .500", that's essentially 6-10. Whoopee, eh? He could still use some work in ALL areas of the game.

Another reminder that most of my "hate" shown toward Merzlikins and the people who have sang his praises (rightfully and wrongfully) have been directly related to the opinions shared towards Korpisalo, Bobrovsky and the team itself. Korpisalo has proven to be just as good, if not better than Merzlikins, his ENTIRE time in the NHL, yet, just recently have people given him credit or trusted him for "proving himself" as a good goalie. MANY people even said he couldn't do what he has done this year, and that his numbers "proved" he couldn't do it. Bottom line is they are the same age, Korpisalo is better, has looked better and has proved it over a much longer period of time, and yet still, very few have talked about his "star potential", for whatever reasons. Korpisalo has never looked as bad as Merzlikins has at times this year, and people literally said that the amount of games that Merzlikins has now played, meant essentially nothing, when Korpisalo played that amount of games. Not true? Why the difference?

And yes, to nobody's surprise I'm sure, I will hedge my bets and ask where Bobby fits into all this? You know, "The 2 TIME Vezina Winner." Time to admit Sergei's Bobrovky's entire career and perception as a "great goalie" is based on the fact he played for the historic Columbus Blue Jackets franchise, no?

The TEAM deserves credit. A lot of credit. MOST of the credit.

Certain people can claim all types of things about me on here, however, 1 thing they cant take from me or hide in any way, or god forbid attack me, is the confidence I have had regarding the team the last handful of years that cant be matched by many others over this entire period of the new-good CBJ.

Fire Nobody

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The CBJ have allowed the 3rd fewest goals in the NHL. Their goal differential is now 0. IIRC, it was in the minus 20s at one point.

Portzline: Elvis Merzlikins rolls, Emil Bemstrom hunted,...

Korpisalo-Merzlikins 4 Jennings

647907-jarmo-kekalainen-tenu-conference-presse.jpg

Just wait till Murray gets back and solidifies the defense.

Reactions: cslebn

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Korpisalo has had games just as good and is the better goalie. From what Merzlikins looked like at the start of the year, I honestly wasn't sure if he could put it together and be capable enough to start/play games on a regular basis, or really, at all. I was wrong. Korpisalo is still better.

Merzlikins' footwork and overall movement on the ice, along with his ability to make himself seem bigger in the net has gotten much better from the start of the year. He also seems much more controlled and calm (movements and "mentally") when needed, however, its probably due to simple experience/playing time as this is still VERY early in his career and he has essentially been thrown to the wolves after the injury to Korpisalo. 1 thing to not forget is that Merzlikins is not a "young" goalie and that his "growth" or overall ability might not get much different than where he is at right now. I mean HE DID look terrible to start the year, and his total LACK of experience was essentially based on certain decisions we were told he made about playing in NA. Also, his overall record is still 6-6-4. Ignoring the simple lack of total games, and not going on a rant about "Bettman .500", that's essentially 6-10. Whoopee, eh? He could still use some work in ALL areas of the game.

Another reminder that most of my "hate" shown toward Merzlikins and the people who have sang his praises (rightfully and wrongfully) have been directly related to the opinions shared towards Korpisalo, Bobrovsky and the team itself. Korpisalo has proven to be just as good, if not better than Merzlikins, his ENTIRE time in the NHL, yet, just recently have people given him credit or trusted him for "proving himself" as a good goalie. MANY people even said he couldn't do what he has done this year, and that his numbers "proved" he couldn't do it. Bottom line is they are the same age, Korpisalo is better, has looked better and has proved it over a much longer period of time, and yet still, very few have talked about his "star potential", for whatever reasons. Korpisalo has never looked as bad as Merzlikins has at times this year, and people literally said that the amount of games that Merzlikins has now played, meant essentially nothing, when Korpisalo played that amount of games. Not true? Why the difference?

And yes, to nobody's surprise I'm sure, I will hedge my bets and ask where Bobby fits into all this? You know, "The 2 TIME Vezina Winner." Time to admit Sergei's Bobrovky's entire career and perception as a "great goalie" is based on the fact he played for the historic Columbus Blue Jackets franchise, no?

Certain people can claim all types of things about me on here, however, 1 thing they cant take from me or hide in any way, or god forbid attack me, is the confidence I have had regarding the team the last handful of years that cant be matched by many others over this entire period of the new-good CBJ.

Fire Nobody

Im not looking to ad hominem you or anything, yet this opinion is still on a radical, black and white side.

Also: I havent seen anyone here say that Elvis is the man or the big future of this franchise.

Cautious optimism has been expressed by several here, thats all.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Fire Nobody
Both of these guys have been outstanding. The remainder of the season will be interesting in revealing who assumes the 1 or 1A spot. And that may have long term implications for next year.

I suspect the outcome will be determined not by technical skills (though important); rather it will be determined by the gray between their ears. Each player experienced seminal moments this year that changed their season. For Korpi, getting a grip on his emotions after his temper outburst changed his season. For Elvis, it was gaining his needed confidence once became the starter. When Korpi comes back, the potential for testing the comfort zone for each could trigger. And that could reveal a lot about the resolve and steel of each.

I love what both have done and hope each continues to play at their peak level. What a great position to be in that would be.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The SiriusXM gang this morning is heaping praise on Torts and the team defense/goalie play. On the other hand they’re cutting Bemstrom no slack saying in essence their was probably no intent to injure but an intent to make contact with Rask, who was concussed. They seem surprised that so far no hearing has been called.

.......I’m just the messenger. :towel:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Both of these guys have been outstanding. The remainder of the season will be interesting in revealing who assumes the 1 or 1A spot. And that may have long term implications for next year.

I suspect the outcome will be determined not by technical skills (though important); rather it will be determined by the gray between their ears. Each player experienced seminal moments this year that changed their season. For Korpi, getting a grip on his emotions after his temper outburst changed his season. For Elvis, it was gaining his needed confidence once became the starter. When Korpi comes back, the potential for testing the comfort zone for each could trigger. And that could reveal a lot about the resolve and steel of each.

I love what both have done and hope each continues to play at their peak level. What a great position to be in that would be.
Good point about Korpi's emotions. Letting them get the best of him cost him in the Calder cup finals. When he keeps them in check he is a much better goalie.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I've always loved this "alternate" logo more than every other CBJ logos, they're pretty trash.

I'd love to get a peace of that cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad