GDT: Game 47: Avs @ Sens | 5 PM MT | January 16, 2019 | Ottawa Rising

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Just for info since Dec 8th Gru has a SV% of .876 and Varly .866. They are 64th and 68th out of 72 goalies respectively during that period. The team is 4-11-3 since then. Hmmm!!! Wonder if there is a correlation?
LOL. Didn't bother to look up the stats but damn! Both have been been hot garbage and are on their way of playing us out a playoff spot.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The Avs have been trailing in every game so score effects have come into play when it comes to shot share. For instance, last night the Avs were getting dominated until the Sens scored their third goal and sat back. Then the Avs started owning the shot share.

Reactions: klozge

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
It's true...I should leave it to the experts who TRULY know hockey like yourself and Swollen Nolan. :sarcasm:

Pretty quick to criticize others without actually providing anything of your own. You're truly super appreciated here.

But you're insults truly are appreciated.

Someone disagrees with you and you stomp your feet and soil your undies and throw a temper tantrum.

Chill out dude.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The Avs have been trailing in every game so score effects have come into play when it comes to shot share. For instance, last night the Avs were getting dominated until the Sens scored their third goal and sat back. Then the Avs started owning the shot share.

Score-adjusted drops them like three spots. They've had more score-adjusted dominant shot share games of late than they had in the beginning of the season when they were winning a ton.

I'm not calling them an all-out dominant possession team, this a small sample size. But dismissing the positive steps towards playing the right way that they've taken over the course of the season because score effects is a little disingenuous.

Reactions: James G

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
It's true...I should leave it to the experts who TRULY know hockey like yourself and Swollen Nolan. :sarcasm:

Pretty quick to criticize others without actually providing anything of your own. You're truly super appreciated here.
Yeah you really should. For example your second line winger just got kicked to the AHL:laugh:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
But you're insults truly are appreciated.

Someone disagrees with you and you stomp your feet and soil your undies and throw a temper tantrum.

Chill out dude.

No. Someone disagrees with my posts by slamming it and then doesn't provide a counter argument in any way but just goes on to trash the team like some 12 year old baby. This is someone whose posts I read and it leaves me shaking my head 99% of the time. So no, I'm not taking any BS from the likes of you and I'm not wasting any time on you.

Grats bro, welcome to ignore...you bring nothing of value.

Yeah you really should. For example your second line winger just got kicked to the AHL:laugh:

You just antagonize for the fun of it and again, don't bring anything of value. Everyone on here knows it so for that reason:

Grats bro, welcome to ignore!

Ah...that feels better.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Well they set Jost up to fail 100%. Giving him the 2C role isn’t an issue, but to give him the 2C role with no one to insulate him and expect him to carry the load with is horrible horrible roster management.

I don't think it was done on purpose but if you're going to put the kid at #2C to start the year and then 8-9 games later - the coach starts to complain about secondary scoring [despite our very good record] when at age 20, the kid doesn't even have one of the top-3 forwards playing with him on his line (he played with Wilson and Kerfoot)...then yeah, the odds were long that he was going to drive that line offensively on top of being solid defensively, which he was.

People tend to forget that Jost played in the World Championships last year and drew very good reviews after putting up 4 goals, 2 assists in 9 GP playing with very good players. To expect him to do the same with Wilson and Kerfoot wasn't a strong move. Wilson is a 4th line player who plays a north/south game with very little creativity and Kerfoot plays with the same instincts as a center that Jost does...those 2 guys aren't a great fit together.

If Jost goes down and he's put on the top line with a natural LW like Greer and a natural RW like Kaut, he should have no trouble putting up his share of points. This AHL development is the gap between the NCAA and the NHL that he just hasn't had. I hope they leave him down there for a while maybe even the rest of the year. Bringing him back after 10 games to put him on a line with Colin Wilson is exactly how NOT to do it.

Gaining confidence is what he needs right now...the Avs need to decide if they want him developing as a C or as a LW and stick to that plan.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think it was done on purpose but if you're going to put the kid at #2C to start the year and then 8-9 games later - the coach starts to complain about secondary scoring [despite our very good record] when at age 20, the kid doesn't even have one of the top-3 forwards playing with him on his line (he played with Wilson and Kerfoot)...then yeah, the odds were long that he was going to drive that line offensively on top of being solid defensively, which he was.

People tend to forget that Jost played in the World Championships last year and drew very good reviews after putting up 4 goals, 2 assists in 9 GP playing with very good players. To expect him to do the same with Wilson and Kerfoot wasn't a strong move. Wilson is a 4th line player who plays a north/south game with very little creativity and Kerfoot plays with the same instincts as a center that Jost does...those 2 guys aren't a great fit together.

If Jost goes down and he's put on the top line with a natural LW like Greer and a natural RW like Kaut, he should have no trouble putting up his share of points. This AHL development is the gap between the NCAA and the NHL that he just hasn't had. I hope they leave him down there for a while maybe even the rest of the year. Bringing him back after 10 games to put him on a line with Colin Wilson is exactly how NOT to do it.

Gaining confidence is what he needs right now...the Avs need to decide if they want him developing as a C or as a LW and stick to that plan.

I’m not saying they wanted Jost to fail, but they thrust him into that role and gave him no help. He just got too much responsibility and too many expectations too fast. The add on him being yanked around for the rest of the season, he just wasn’t handled very well at all.

Reactions: Bender

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kerfoot sucks ass. I don’t see what people like about him. He sometimes brings points and that’s about it. I hope to god we don’t re sign him after this year. He had a hot and is still pacing for 45 points or whatever it is only because of that start.

I know Kerfoot isn’t the reason we lost tonight but he’s a microcosm of all the issues this team has.

Send him down!!

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs were definitely horrendous tonight, but I thought goals 2 and 4 were both bad from Varlamov.

Make no mistake about it, he's been tied for the worst Avalanche player this season with Grubauer. It's downright pitiful the goaltending those two give us on a nightly basis. Giving me Niemi/Lehtonen vibes.

How were those bad goals?

Goal 2 Stone deflected it at the bottom of the circle. That's why he was credited with the goal. The shot was going far side and Stone deflected it seven hole. That is not easy to move your arm out to stop a shot with your blocker far side, and then tuck it to your body in the split second after it's deflected.

Goal 4 Barberio turns the puck over behind the net. Then while Varly is dealing with a three man screen, he goes down to block the shot from the point, but Girard tips it slightly wide of the net up top. It bounces off the glass and right to Duchene at the side of the net. Varly had no idea where the puck was bouncing to. All he could do was hear it hit the glass and guess where it was going before Duchene one touched it in the net. He even had his pad there in time but Duchene chipped it over his pad.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’m not saying they wanted Jost to fail, but they thrust him into that role and gave him no help. He just got too much responsibility and too many expectations too fast. The add on him being yanked around for the rest of the season, he just wasn’t handled very well at all.
Definitely a combination of poor handling and poor play. I don't know if the AHL will do anything for him. If anything, he has even more pressure now to perform above the level of his teammates. Not a good situation

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Definitely a combination of poor handling and poor play. I don't know if the AHL will do anything for him. If anything, he has even more pressure now to perform above the level of his teammates. Not a good situation
I don't think there is more pressure on Jost now. I mean, obviously we're expecting him to play better than AHL 4th liners but that shouldn't be too difficult for him. Now he at least gets a chance to reset and to hopefully gain some confidence playing at a slower pace against weaker opponents. Also, he gets to play now instead of sitting on the bench for more than 50 minutes per game.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don't think there is more pressure on Jost now. I mean, obviously we're expecting him to play better than AHL 4th liners but that shouldn't be too difficult for him. Now he at least gets a chance to reset and to hopefully gain some confidence playing at a slower pace against weaker opponents. Also, he gets to play now instead of sitting on the bench for more than 50 minutes per game.
What if he isn't successful in the AHL? He just lost his NHL spot and his NHL paycheck (I think). He's backed into a corner right now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The thing about shot share is that yes.... Teams sit back when they have a lead. But not when it's a 1 goal lead, and in today's game even on two goal leads you dont sit back unless it's in the 3rd period.

Honestly only the Ottawa game on this road trip did we play poorly. Every other game from puck drop to the final whistle we carried the play, regardless of the scores. The Montreal game wasn't really a dominant game either it was just an even game where neither team really showed up with a great effort.

The only game where we were actually outplayed in was Ottawa. Which quite frankly is pretty awful in itself considering they are the worst shot share team in the league by a significant margin.

Reactions: hooverdam

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
What if he isn't successful in the AHL? He just lost his NHL spot and his NHL paycheck (I think). He's backed into a corner right now.
He'll still earn enough money to not worry about paying his bills. I don't think the pressure is bigger now than it was two days ago. He just has a chance to actually succeed now.
Plus, if he really fails to even stay in the AHL or to earn good money in Europe he should never have played in the NHL in the first place. I don't think that'll happen, though. I like him a lot and don't think he's too far away from becoming a solid NHL player. Not everybody can be a millionaire at the age of 20. Some need to wait until they're 21 or even 22.

Reactions: MacBradley

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The thing about shot share is that yes.... Teams sit back when they have a lead. But not when it's a 1 goal lead, and in today's game even on two goal leads you dont sit back unless it's in the 3rd period.

Honestly only the Ottawa game on this road trip did we play poorly. Every other game from puck drop to the final whistle we carried the play, regardless of the scores. The Montreal game wasn't really a dominant game either it was just an even game where neither team really showed up with a great effort.

The only game where we were actually outplayed in was Ottawa. Which quite frankly is pretty awful in itself considering they are the worst shot share team in the league by a significant margin.
I really don't think the Avs have been the better team but against the Leafs lately. They often work hard, sometimes heavily outshoot the opponents but they don't create high quality chances while other teams don't need much effort and many shots against us. They enter the zone, make a few passes and just score because our dmen are confused all the time. Avs are so easy to play against. And while I'm not willing to exclusively blame the goalies (Grubi sucks, though), they surely aren't helping.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I was in the Lexus Lounge after the game and got to watch an interview with Pageau and when they asked him to talk about his team all he could say was "We're a good group of guys. We show up everyday".

Well, they are a team after all. The show up every day to hate each other, per Jonathan Drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->