GDT: Game #45 | Phoenix Coyotes @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D / NBCSN

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have to ask you guys this, a bunch of people saying how big a dick Doan was and an idiot.

I'm sorry, but Abdelkader ran around all night and he was asked to fight by Michalek of all people and declined.

If someone took 4 runs at Dekeyser, and then a run at Datsyuk or Nyquist, wouldn't we be screaming for someone to do what Doan did??

On that note, BRING ON LA!

Pierre pointed out the bench was screaming at him not to go. I think he would have gone with Michalek, but Michalek didn't throw his gloves down at any time. Similar to his little dust up with Hall after the vicious slash a couple weeks ago, a lot of the Coyotes say they want to go keep their gloves on and wait for a bigger guy to show up. I seriously doubt Michalek had actual intentions of going with Abdelkader, that is part of why Doan jumped him.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Pierre pointed out the bench was screaming at him not to go. I think he would have gone with Michalek, but Michalek didn't throw his gloves down at any time. Similar to his little dust up with Hall after the vicious slash a couple weeks ago, a lot of the Coyotes say they want to go keep their gloves on and wait for a bigger guy to show up. I seriously doubt Michalek had actual intentions of going with Abdelkader, that is part of why Doan jumped him.

Well either way, whether the bench wanted Abby to go with EITHER of them, or who was willing or not, I don't think anyone is right for calling Doan a dick or an idiot. Good on him to try to keep a guy honest who has been running around all night in my opinion. Wish we would see that more!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Wiiiiiiiin! Way to step up guys!

Congrats to the shutout Howard!

Good to see the Mule finaly heating up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well either way, whether the bench wanted Abby to go with EITHER of them, or who was willing or not, I don't think anyone is right for calling Doan a dick or an idiot. Good on him to try to keep a guy honest who has been running around all night in my opinion. Wish we would see that more!

My problems with Doan stem from outside of this game. It isn't his fault, he stuck with Phoenix, he never swears and basically is a good guy off the ice for the most part, but he has a lore about what a class act he is and most of it is pretty funny to me. He makes questionable hits and behaves in a way in which I just don't understand the love affair he enjoys. The guy crosses the line a decent amount and is never taken to task for it. Tonight really wasn't one of those cases if he wants to go sit in the box for 4 minutes with 11 minutes left for valuable hockey this season then that is great he is their leading scorer, thanks for the favor.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's no doubt that Franzen would command nearly double his current contract if he played like this every night. But I think it's crap if anyone thinks it's okay for him to take nights off as long as he plays up to average expectations of his contract relative to other players in his range.

He's a professional. I expect him to bring it this hard every damn night. He's got the skills, size, and IQ to be an absolute dominating force out there every game.

I wouldn't be okay if we Nyquist was playing like a fourth line grinder per his contract. I expect full effort every game.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's no doubt that Franzen would command nearly double his current contract if he played like this every night. But I think it's crap if anyone thinks it's okay for him to take nights off as long as he plays up to average expectations of his contract relative to other players in his range.

He's a professional. I expect him to bring it this hard every damn night. He's got the skills, size, and IQ to be an absolute dominating force out there every game.

Only 7 more years. Settle in.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It's illegal in most states to marry a sports team.

But seriously, the reason it comes up is because the Wings haven't been in many of these positions since the early 90s. But other teams have quite recently! And I happen to watch tons of games from one of those other teams. So hey, I've got a few experience nuggets. Niskanen is a classic example of why playing a dude with a legend doesn't always translate as you'd expect.

And the other nugget is why firing a good coach like Dave Tippett doesn't always improve your team. Which I tend to vocalize in the Babcock sucks threads.

The final nugget is that barely missing the playoffs and drafting around the top 10 doesn't guarantee you get a bunch of good players. 4 straight years and the only elite Stars prospect is a goalie, who is totally still a gamble.

There, that's all of it. I shall not mention their name again. Until Saturday.

Funny you mention that. Was talking about coaching changes with my friend tonight. Seems like a lot of the NE division benefitted from coaching changes in recent past (Carlyle, DJ Pauly Walrus Mac, and Therrien). All good guys, though, so it doesn't necessarily mean that any change is good.

Babcock has me so up and down from night to night. Some of his decisions make me go :rant:, but other times he seems like one of the best in the business.

Bench, can you hold me and tell me everything is going to be okay?

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Funny you mention that. Was talking about coaching changes with my friend tonight. Seems like a lot of the NE division benefitted from coaching changes in recent past (Carlyle, DJ Pauly Walrus Mac, and Therrien). All good guys, though, so it doesn't necessarily mean that any change is good.

Babcock has me so up and down from night to night. Some of his decisions make me go :rant:, but other times he seems like one of the best in the business.

Which is why we are FANS lol.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
We outshot Flames&Canucks 72 to 31 combined and got only a point from those 2 games.
We get outshot by Coyotes 34-22 we win big 4-0.
Our special units won us the game.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

apparently Doan said something along the "lines of How do you only have 11 pts when you play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg?" lol

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Everything is going to be okay, my darling Ingrid.

Babcock has been frustrating at times. But you can tell he's kind of aware the offense doesn't always click so he's trying to give Howard the best chance at stealing games. And Howard's numbers really do reflect playing in front of some stingy defense, even with him playing really well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
apparently Doan said something along the "lines of How do you only have 11 pts when you play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg?" lol

I found that part funny, he said it between the benches before going back and trying to get him later. One must ask Doan, why with your season on the line and everybody needing you would you trade yourself off ice with a player of that caliber then?

But that was really good trash talk a little earlier, nobody said it wasn't funny, I put up a laughing icon during the game about it.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Not sure if this was on tv, but with about a minute left Yandle broke his stick from the bench on the boards, and seemed like he was trying to murder it. I want a guy like that with emotion. Yandle some on over.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I found that part funny, he said it between the benches before going back and trying to get him later. One must ask Doan, why with your season on the line and everybody needing you would you trade yourself off ice with a player of that caliber then?

But that was really good trash talk a little earlier, nobody said it wasn't funny, I put up a laughing icon during the game about it.

There are guys like Iginla who pick their spots and I respect, and then there are the Doans and Perrys who seem more interested in throwing personal tantrums when things don't go their way.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
"You have 11 points playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.. you should be ashamed of yourself, how do you sleep at night" - Shane Doan to Justin Abdelkader

Although Doan said exactly what we all think, Gator should've just retorted: "You've won no cups in a 17 year career? You should be ashamed of yourself"

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I'm not giving up on Smith though. He seems to agitated out there and looks like he's playing under pressure. He needs to focus a little more and stick to his strengths.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Best part of this game was when Doan said this to Abdelkader "You got 11 pts playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, you should be ashamed of yourself" haha

Source: Pierre McGuire on NBC Sports Network

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Cleary was MVP this game. AINEC.

He took those back-to-back penalties but it was just pure tactical brilliance by him. Coyotes couldn't score on them and it crushed their confidence.

If Cleary plays another game like this, I want him re-signed, bad. No way we can let him walk.

Best part of this game was when Doan said "You got 11 pts playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, you should be ashamed of yourself" haha

Source: Pierre McGuire on NBS Sports Network

:laugh:

Awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad