GDT: Game 45: Coyotes @ Red Wings | 4-22-13 | 4:30 PM PDT | NBCSN

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
Are we mathematically officially eliminated now?

No, the maximum # of points we can achieve is 52; Minnesota and Columbus have 51. However, we can only look at 1 spot because Detroit has 50 and Dallas has 48.

Remaining schedules:

MIN: LA, EDM, COL
CLB: @DAL, NSH
DET: LA, NSH, @DAL
DAL: @SJ, CLB, DET

If MIN and CLB get 1+ pt, we are eliminated. If MIN/CLB get 1+ pt and DET gets 2+ pts, we are eliminated. If MIN/CLB get 1+ pt and DAL gets 4+ pts, we are eliminated. If we don't get 6 pts, we are eliminated.

Basically, we have to hope for MIN and CLB to lose out in regulation, DET to lose out, with 2+ coming in regulation, and DAL to lose in regulation to SJ, beating CLB in regulation and beating DET in either regulation or OT/SO if DET loses the other two in regulation.

In this scenario, MIN and CLB would finish with 51, DET would finish with 50 or 51, DAL would finish with 52+, and the Yotes would finish with 52, if they win out.

So, in summary, no, but we might as well be.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Are we mathematically officially eliminated now?

EDIT: The following is not entirely correct, revised in post below.

Best as I figure the following must happen for us to get in:

We would have to win out
Minnesota cannot get a point
Detroit can only get 1 point in their final 3 games

THEN EITHER:
If Columbus beats Dallas on Thursday
Dallas must beat Detroit and get no more than one point in their games against Columbus and San Jose

OR
if Columbus losses to Dallas on Thursday
Columbus can get only a single point between their games against Dallas or Nashville

Last edited:

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Basically, if the black plague sweeps through the league killing off all 29 other teams and the Coyotes win 15 of their last 3 games they MIGHT get into the playoffs.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Lol. You really want peace. Ha ha

It's kind of a Lounge saying. One of the regulars there is French-Canadian and didn't know what "RIP" stood for so he went around saying "RIP in peace" for a little while before we told him what "RIP" actually stood for.

The phrase still kind of stuck though.

Charest

Jul 18, 2007
It's kind of a Lounge saying. One of the regulars there is French-Canadian and didn't know what "RIP" stood for so he went around saying "RIP in peace" for a little while before we told him what "RIP" actually stood for.

The phrase still kind of stuck though.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but i'm also French-Canadian and RIP doesn't mean rest in peace, but requiescat in pace. It's latin, my good friend. RIP is used in many places that doesn't use english and the fact that the first letter of the 3 words are the same in latin and english is a pure coincidence.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:R.I.P..jpg

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Don't want to sound like a dick, but i'm also French-Canadian and RIP doesn't mean rest in peace, but requiescat in pace. It's latin, my good friend. RIP is used in many places that doesn't use english and the fact that the first letter of the 3 words are the same in latin and english is a pure coincidence.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:R.I.P..jpg

Actually, in this case we are fortunate it's both. The acronym is the same in Latin as in English.

When I'm asked by an English speaking person to explain a common acronym or abbreviation, I use English, I don't revert to Latin, German, French, etc.

Son: dad, what does e.g mean?
Dad: "for example"
Son: then why is it abbreviated e.g.?
Dad: answer 1: I don't know, get me a beer.
answer 2: It's Latin for exempli gratia

Which response would you give?

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
Best as I figure the following must happen for us to get in:

We would have to win out
Minnesota cannot get a point
Detroit can only get 1 point in their final 3 games

THEN EITHER:
If Columbus beats Dallas on Thursday
Dallas must beat Detroit and get no more than one point in their games against Columbus and San Jose

OR
if Columbus losses to Dallas on Thursday
Columbus can get only a single point between their games against Dallas or Nashville

I love how complicated this is. Basically, if MIN gets one more point it's over right? With the DAL vs. CMB and DET games one of them is guaranteed to finish in front of PHO? If DAL beats both DAL is in, if either one beats DAL they'll be in.

So the bare conditions, as succintly as possible:
1. PHO has to win out.
2. MIN has to lose out in regulation.
3. CMB/DET/DAL have to lose all games not against each other. (depending on point 4 DET or DAL may have wiggle room to lose one of those in OT or SO)
4. DAL has to win at least one of the games against CMB/DET.

I'm probably just repeating you, but I was having a little fun wrapping my head around it. :D
And it's a little circular, since whichever won is going to end up in 7th can win their other games too so 3 isn't really true.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Smitty wasn't the reason for today's loss. Can't keep tossing the Red Wings PP opportunities like candy. Yes, he got beat by Fillpula on the shortside, but other than that, he played good enough to win. I think people are expecting him to be superhuman like last year and fully compensate for inconsistent/borderline brutal defensive play and iffy special teams, not to mention our dismal lack of scoring (9 times we've thrown up donuts on the scoreboard, I think).

Smitty has given up his share of softies and his play doesn't merit a huge extension, but he's far from being the #1 reason why this team could not make the playoffs this year.

Anyways, RIP 2013 Yotes.

Indeed

If anything I would give a breakdown of having a failing season overall of 40% not beyond their control/ 60% beyond their control.

This team has not given the kind of effort it should have like it did the past 3 seasons but the lack of an owner and a shorter season really did us in more.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Looking at it again I didn't cover all scenarios, basically if we get in we knock out Minnesota while making it with one of Detroit, Dallas or Columbus.

All scenarios involve us winning out and Minnesota not gaining a point:

To make it with Detroit:
Dallas must beat Columbus and get no more than one point between SJ, DET
Columbus must get no more than one point between DAL, NSH (if they get a point at least 2 of our wins must be ROW's)

To make it with Columbus:
Detroit must get no more than one point between LA, NSH, DAL
Dallas must beat Detroit and get no more than one point between SJ, CBJ

To make it with Dallas:
Detroit must get no more than 1 point between LA, NSH, DAL
Columbus must get no more than one point between DAL, NSH (if they get a point at least 2 of our wins must be ROW's)

For tonight all this means is Minnesota must lose in regulation to LA. It's preferable for Dallas to lose to SJ as it would leave options, but not mandatory. (yes I know it would take a miracle at this point)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad