GDT: Game 45: Coyotes @ Red Wings | 4-22-13 | 4:30 PM PDT | NBCSN

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Mathematically we won't be, because we'll still have a 5-point deficit with 3 to play. All the teams ahead of us could lose out in regulation and we could win out and nick it by a point.

Don't bet that happening, though.

Dallas plays Detroit and Columbus still. Impossible for all teams to lose out.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'd argue that he's blown it more often this year than he's kept us in games. But maybe that's just me.

The save on Saad last game was great, I'd love to see a couple more of those. All I'm saying is that it seems like 95% of the time we give up a scoring chance the other team seems to capitalize. We pride ourselves on defense and have given up fewer shots this season. Obviously you can't stop em all, but it must be frustrating for the guys going into the room down 2-0 when Howard has played like a true NHL level goaltender and made some non routine saves and the only 2 moderate chances against went in. This has happened fairly often this year.

Edit: the 95% is an overexageration. Didn't mean to come off too harsh, just worked up that we're losing. Hopefully Smith plays great the rest of the night and I eat my words

Go back to my posts in the previous game thread, specifically the ones showing videos. Trust me, I would love for Smith to make point-blank saves all the time, but you can only make so many of those saves during a season. He's played as well as you can play, given the circumstances. You're not going to win when on the PK against Detroit that many times. See where the shots are comng from in those hifhlight videos, and you see it's not all Smith...

zz

Nov 1, 2006
mediocre.jpg

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Chris Conner being on the ice in a must-score pull-the-goalie situation tells you all you need to know about the Coyotes offense. I'm off to the 2013-14 roster thread ...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Smitty wasn't the reason for today's loss. Can't keep tossing the Red Wings PP opportunities like candy. Yes, he got beat by Fillpula on the shortside, but other than that, he played good enough to win. I think people are expecting him to be superhuman like last year and fully compensate for inconsistent/borderline brutal defensive play and iffy special teams, not to mention our dismal lack of scoring (9 times we've thrown up donuts on the scoreboard, I think).

Smitty has given up his share of softies and his play doesn't merit a huge extension, but he's far from being the #1 reason why this team could not make the playoffs this year.

Anyways, RIP 2013 Yotes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can't believe nobody took care of Abdelkader. The lack of scoring is a budget problem. The lack of dealing with that nonsense is just embarrassing. Chipchura and Bolduc should be forced to rent a car and drive back to Phoenix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad