GDT: Game 45: Coyotes @ Red Wings | 4-22-13 | 4:30 PM PDT | NBCSN

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
That period was the perfect example of Smith letting the team down 100% this season. We really outplayed them that whole period, outshot them 12-4 and they come out with a 2-0 lead. You can argue all day and say "can't blame smith for that goal or this goal" but at the end of the day if the shot is even moderately difficult he lets it in. How is the team supposed to rally at this point in the season when they can't trust their goaltender to stop 4 shots. Just once I'd like to see him make a couple saves that actually go beyond the routine stop category to give the team a boost.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but Smith's lack of effectiveness is really frustrating to watch when the rest of the team comes out with a fairly solid effort.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
We have dominated even strength but are horrendous on special teams in both directions. I don't think this game is over considering how well we are forechecking and creating turnovers but that last minute goal by the wings was pretty brutal for our chances. One more detroit goal and you can kiss this season goodbye

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
That period was the perfect example of Smith letting the team down 100% this season. We really outplayed them that whole period, outshot them 12-4 and they come out with a 2-0 lead. You can argue all day and say "can't blame smith for that goal or this goal" but at the end of the day if the shot is even moderately difficult he lets it in. How is the team supposed to rally at this point in the season when they can't trust their goaltender to stop 4 shots. Just once I'd like to see him make a couple saves that actually go beyond the routine stop category to give the team a boost.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but Smith's lack of effectiveness is really frustrating to watch when the rest of the team comes out with a fairly solid effort.

Smith has kept this team in plenty of games this season and last that they had no business being in. The point-blank save against Brandon Saad on Saturday comes to mind in the recent past.

The two goals tonight have been due to defensive breakdowns on cross-ice passes. It's difficult for a goalie to slide and cover the whole net, Howard, at the other end, has done it well tonight.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario

So like the game against the Nucks right?

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Smith has kept this team in plenty of games this season and last that they had no business being in. The point-blank save against Brandon Saad on Saturday comes to mind in the recent past.

The two goals tonight have been due to defensive breakdowns on cross-ice passes. It's difficult for a goalie to slide and cover the whole net, Howard, at the other end, has done it well tonight.

I'd argue that he's blown it more often this year than he's kept us in games. But maybe that's just me.

The save on Saad last game was great, I'd love to see a couple more of those. All I'm saying is that it seems like 95% of the time we give up a scoring chance the other team seems to capitalize. We pride ourselves on defense and have given up fewer shots this season. Obviously you can't stop em all, but it must be frustrating for the guys going into the room down 2-0 when Howard has played like a true NHL level goaltender and made some non routine saves and the only 2 moderate chances against went in. This has happened fairly often this year.

Edit: the 95% is an overexageration. Didn't mean to come off too harsh, just worked up that we're losing. Hopefully Smith plays great the rest of the night and I eat my words

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Our powerplay is what is causing us to lose this game. We're outplaying the Wings 5 on 5 but they've been able to generate some decent chances and score on their power play. Some of you may not want to hear this but I really feel Smith didn't have much of a chance on those two goals. The first Franzen was left alone in the slot, to deflect the puck in unopposed and the second Morris and Klesla were puck watching and didn't notice Brunner sneak in alone.

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
Our powerplay is what is causing us to lose this game. We're outplaying the Wings 5 on 5 but they've been able to generate some decent chances and score on their power play. Some of you may not want to hear this but I really feel Smith didn't have much of a chance on those two goals. The first Franzen was left alone in the slot, to deflect the puck in unopposed and the second Morris and Klesla were puck watching and didn't notice Brunner sneak in alone.

Replace powerplay with penalty kill and I agree with you. The last 3 seasons, our PK helped keep us in games, but this year it has not been up to par and is one of the contributing factors to being down this season.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Replace powerplay with penalty kill and I agree with you. The last 3 seasons, our PK helped keep us in games, but this year it has not been up to par and is one of the contributing factors to being down this season.

Yes the penalty kill as well. We've already had 4 powerplay chances and have nothing to show for it. Anyway you slice it, our special teams have left a lot to be desired in this game. Especially when you consider that losing in regulation will make it almost mathematically impossible for us to make the playoffs even if we aren't eliminated tonight.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Mickey Redmond mocking coyotes players about not having hot water. "Wahhh, wahhh, wahhh, what a horrible thing not having hot water." What a ****ing moron. This geriatric **** annoys me with everything he mutters over the air.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
First goal Smitty would probably like to have back...and that's probably the end of the night. For once Pierre is right with this Detroit PP analysis though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->