Post-Game Talk: GAME #45: Canucks 0 @ Leafs 5: Go do something else for the next four days! Bye!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm well over it my friend..I'm totally happy with where our team is at (in this transition period) ,and where it's headed..I'm not the one with the gripes here..:thumbu:
It's headed for going in circles. Look at the Oilers (without any kind of supporting cast for McDavid, they're going nowhere) - good thing Benning inherited half a blueline that was < 30 years old. I'm happy with respect to the amateur scouting. Pro scouting? It's not far off Oilers bad.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dont be concerned, with the likes of Gudbranson, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Eriksson, Granlund, Beagle, Schaller on the roster there is still more than enough material to criticize Benning for the terrible job he is doing.
I like the Beagle signing (although the term is a year too long)...Pouliot,MDZ,Granlund and Schaller are placeholders (3 of them are on expiring contracts)....There's more fuss and arguing about bottom of the roster players than anything else on these boards

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's headed for going in circles. Look at the Oilers (without any kind of supporting cast for McDavid, they're going nowhere) - good thing Benning inherited half a blueline that was < 30 years old. I'm happy with respect to the amateur scouting. Pro scouting? It's not far off Oilers bad.
Is it though?...I disagree, we have a good coach, and the message has been consistent..All of our young players are growing and improving together....How is the Oilers team speed ? (other than McD and RNH)..there's a few plodders on there...Also,I still think there's a culture problem there.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Is it though?...I disagree, we have a good coach, and the message has been consistent..All of our young players are growing and improving together....How is the Oilers team speed ? (other than McD and RNH)..there's a few plodders on there...Also,I still think there's a culture problem there.
No culture problem here...the veterans battle every night showing the kids how to play, the gritty players are sheltering our youth and everyone has each other’s back.....you are sounding like Sgt Schultz “I see nothing...I hear nothing”

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I like the Beagle signing (although the term is a year too long)...Pouliot,MDZ,Granlund and Schaller are placeholders (3 of them are on expiring contracts)....There's more fuss and arguing about bottom of the roster players than anything else on these boards

Placeholders for whom?
Lind? Gajovich?
Or for when the next GM comes in and cleans up the mess Benning's made?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
According to Cap Friendly, with the Sedins retired the highest paid guys on the team are Eriksson, Horvat, Gudbranson and Sutter. Great contract for Bo....as for the others?...Houston we have a problem.
We don't have any problems (even though you try to spin it that way)...Eriksson we are stuck with, Gudbranson for two more years ($4m for a Dman is not exhorbitant..no NTC),Horvat (probably underpaid),Sutter value is a bit over valued (his NTC expires after this year..he can be traded).

Houston,we dont have a problem!

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Eriksson - $6m
Baertschi - $3,367m
Roussel - $3m
Beagle - $3m
Schaller - $1.9m
Gudbranson - $4m

Thats about $21.3m next year tied up in players who are overpaid for what they bring and dont contribute much to the team. We spend a quarter of our cap for basically nothing. Some of these guys/contracts wouldnt be an issue in isolation but all of them together hurt. The only thing why it doesnt really matter right now is because Pettersson and Boeser play on their entry level deals and most of the rest of the team are depth players who arent grossly overpaid.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
We don't have any problems (even though you try to spin it that way)...Eriksson we are stuck with, Gudbranson for two more years ($4m for a Dman is not exhorbitant..no NTC),Horvat (probably underpaid),Sutter value is a bit over valued (his NTC expires after this year..he can be traded).

Houston,we dont have a problem!
Do you ever want the team to improve beyond what it is? All of those little overpayments and wasted term on players that are no good ultimately impact what a team can do to improve.

The forward corps on this team is all under contract for next season, other than some RFA's. How do you target higher end free agents than the 4th liners and 3rd pair defenders to actually improve the team, not cement them into mediocrity. And ultimately the kids who run the team are going to get paid theirs and there will be no money to supplement them with other quality players.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Do you ever want the team to improve beyond what it is? All of those little overpayments and wasted term on players that are no good ultimately impact what a team can do to improve.

The forward corps on this team is all under contract for next season, other than some RFA's. How do you target higher end free agents than the 4th liners and 3rd pair defenders to actually improve the team, not cement them into mediocrity. And ultimately the kids who run the team are going to get paid theirs and there will be no money to supplement them with other quality players.

Any decent UFA 2nd line forward will look at what Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel and Schaller got and ask for $7-8m at least from Benning.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Middle ground makes more sense here

Pettersson and Boeser are beauties, thank you Benning. Horvat and Tanev on great contracts, Marky too. Nice pickups in the Stech, Leivo and Baertchi. Goldy we will see

Im in the middle on Sutter, Beagle and Virtanen

Then Benning should be staple gunned for the Eriksson, Gudbranson, Pouliot and Schaller disasters. Granlund pretty messy too - was a nothing nothing trade looking back on it, time to end the experiment

Overall going in a good direction but still some head scratchers imo

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Middle ground makes more sense here

Pettersson and Boeser are beauties, thank you Benning. Horvat and Tanev on great contracts, Marky too. Nice pickups in the Stech, Leivo and Baertchi. Goldy we will see

Im in the middle on Sutter, Beagle and Virtanen

Then Benning should be staple gunned for the Eriksson, Gudbranson, Pouliot and Schaller disasters. Granlund pretty messy too - was a nothing nothing trade looking back on it, time to end the experiment

Overall going in a good direction but still some head scratchers imo

I wouldnt call Leivo a nice pick up just yet. Remember when Leipsic scored a bit in his first few games and some folks pencilled him into the future top 6? 9 months later he was waived. I would say chances are the same happens with Leivo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad