GDT: Game 45 - Avs @ Habs 5 PM - We Can't Lose Forever, Right? Yes We Can...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So basically since the Avs started a rebuild, they've only managed to build a 1st line in so many years. How poorly this team has drafted and managed the team?

They still dont have a #1 d and their goaltending has never really been consistent since Patrick Roy. Now they're pretty much paying for poorly reconstructing this team. Sakic has a tough job ahead of him.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Only thing I want to say is I think Jost is playing much better lately, and that I blame Rantanen for the first goal.

The shot had no business going in, but he knew damn well the puck was off-side before he touched it (as a result, face-off ended up in Colorado's zone). He does stupid things like that 1-2 times a game, it feels like.
I thought he was terrible last night but I'm still very optimistic about his future. A stint in the AHL would probably be helpful, though. The game seems to be a bit too fast for him right now.

Generally speaking it was another of this games where the opposing team had an idea how to shut down our offense and especially the powerplay and the Avs never made adjustments. I don't care how much the players like Bednar (in fact I see it as a bit of a problem), he is not good enough.

Reactions: arun

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'm looking for crap and finding it as a result. Don't go feeling wrong on my account and I won't go looking too hard at your posts. I want to stand by my assessment, but respect yours, as well. So keep being you and I might be wrong, and I'll say as much.
It's late here. Goodnight.
Meh, I dont feel any type of way on this. If you want to continue to believe im some doomsday poster then thats fine i've been anything but that. Again, if the "negativity" is to much there is a simple fix for that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I thought he was terrible last night but I'm still very optimistic about his future. A stint in the AHL would probably be helpful, though. The game seems to be a bit too fast for him right now.

Generally speaking it was another of this games where the opposing team had an idea how to shut down our offense and especially the powerplay and the Avs never made adjustments. I don't care how much the players like Bednar (in fact I see it as a bit of a problem), he is not good enough.
I really wish he would move his feet more. Jost that is. He tries to protect and shield the puck way to much for my liking.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
MacKinnon and Rantanen are 22/23. They are not terminally ill from what I've heard. Colorado isn't pissing away anything.
You clearly don't get it, then.
I don't disagree but at the end is the day, players have to work with what they've got and the top guys have to figure out a way to get better results.
You can't honestly ask the top line to do more. If they were even 80% of what they have been this season, no doubt in my mind the Avs are a bottom-3 team in the league. That line is the only reason we even sniff the playoffs at this moment.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

You can't honestly ask the top line to do more. If they were even 80% of what they have been this season, no doubt in my mind the Avs are a bottom-3 team in the league. That line is the only reason we even sniff the playoffs at this moment.

I don't get it? Get what? That you're worried the sky is falling? I've watched and played hockey for 25 years, and I can assure you--you're overreacting.

Colorado is not a bottom 3 team. We aren't wasting anyone's prime. Whether we miss the playoffs, or lose in the 1st or second round, the plan will stay the same.

Good teams aren't reactionary. They don't start trading and overpaying for players when they hit a slump.

The team has absolutely squandered an amazing opportunity to solidify a playoff spot over the last 20 games, but we're 2 points out of 3rd, and the division is not nearly as strong as in the past.

Reactions: CB Joe

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Offensively the top line is doing more than they should but they really should stop those stupid turnovers that are happening every game.

This teams takeaway/giveaway stats are kind of horrbile:
NHL.com - Stats

Only Söderberg's line has positive ratio in that category. All the other lines has nearly even or negative ratio.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
So basically since the Avs started a rebuild, they've only managed to build a 1st line in so many years. How poorly this team has drafted and managed the team?

They still dont have a #1 d and their goaltending has never really been consistent since Patrick Roy. Now they're pretty much paying for poorly reconstructing this team. Sakic has a tough job ahead of him.
The drafting has been a disaster expect for the wonderful 2009 draft, Landy, Mack and Rants.

I would argue that Sakic has put himself in a situation where the Avalanche are going to become a perennial playoff team in the next 2 years even if he does almost nothing.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Just got home after a 3hrs car ride and I feel like I'm owed a refund. I literally took off my AVS jersey before leaving my seat at the Bell Center because I was ashamed. What a **** game.

Are you related to Duchene? That is embarassing.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
There's been a lot of these games where Avs are in it until the third period and then it gets away from them late. It's not like they're getting dummied. Just not getting the timely goal or save in third periods.
Exactly. To me this team doesn’t know how to win. It was evident when they blew the CGY and VAN games earlier and other numerous times. Can’t close out games.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
The drafting has been a disaster expect for the wonderful 2009 draft, Landy, Mack and Rants.

I would argue that Sakic has put himself in a situation where the Avalanche are going to become a perennial playoff team in the next 2 years even if he does almost nothing.

I’d like to know how they stack up against the league in terms of drafting. Gotta be lower third if not near the last. 1-2 hits beyond the first round is all I see going back to ‘09. This has to change or they will never improve.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Everyone is taking this as a top line has to be better statements. It's more a Barrie, EJ, Varly, Grubauer situation. I know the top line is performing, the other top paid guys aren't. They are core guys too.

It's also a Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Soderberg, Calvert comment. These guys
were expected to either grow or be that secondary help. It isn't happening. It's really frustrating to see none of them really growing.

All in know is ready now this team is trash outside the top line. Everyone else should be made available. Because the current makeup of the team isn't getting results just like the previous 12 years worth of trash teams.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’d like to know how they stack up against the league in terms of drafting. Gotta be lower third if not near the last. 1-2 hits beyond the first round is all I see going back to ‘09. This has to change or they will never improve.

Drafting under Pracey was a disaster outside of that '09 haul, no question, and it REALLY ran aground in 2014. Since then, hard to say. 2015 will be really good if Meloche and Greer become NHL regulars. I'm already officially concerned about 2016 though. Way too early to tell about 2017 and 2018 but there are good signs.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Pretty much, since 09 the only hits beyond the top 10 have been ROR and Barrie. Even the first round has been hit or miss for us with Hishon (though not his fault) Bleakley and possibly Jost. And not a single player has panned out passed the 2nd round so far. Not sure why our drafting hasn’t been very good TBH, we all thought it was Pracey but it hasn’t improved much since.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Pretty much, since 09 the only hits beyond the top 10 have been ROR and Barrie. Even the first round has been hit or miss for us with Hishon (though not his fault) Bleakley and possibly Jost. And not a single player has panned out passed the 2nd round so far. Not sure why our drafting hasn’t been very good TBH, we all thought it was Pracey but it hasn’t improved much since.
Don’t forget Barrie and Butcher.

But yeah our drafting is disapointing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If we win the next two we can salvage this road trip and hurt Ottawa

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Full credit to the Habs and Julien in particular in that game. They literally didn’t allow the Avs to generate anything dangerous.
Agreed that they were the better team last night. Hated how poorly they played in that 3rd period they didn’t seem to want to win badly man Mackinnon in his own zone is lazy and uninterested. Always thought he was average defensively but last night he was way below.

My GF was pissed that the Avs played so poorly even if she’s not a big hockey fan. She thought I was pissed and I didn’t enjoy her gift (tickets). I really enjoyed the game but not the outcome at least score a goal for me. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad