GDT: Game 44: Coyotes @ Oilers - 8 PM - FSAZ - Never Say Die

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Just got to my hotel room. You guys have got to see that arena. Stunning beyond belief. Check out the pics on the Rogers Arena website.

Jackpot paid out $75000 CDN.

Garland scored 2 goals without the puck touching his stick once. Galchenyuk and Kurmper were strong.

McDavid unreal with the puck but clearly avoided contact in his own zone. Not a 200 foot player st all.
Funny stuff. You don't want the world's greatest offensive player to be a 200 foot player. He's a wizard and the coach lets him do what he wants on the ice in terms of instinct. Without him the Oilers are practically a minor league team. They SUCK. Mario Lemieux used to cheat more then anyone and that always threw off the opposition. Believe me the very elite you want them to cheat and not be in your end digging out the puck. How stupid of a coach that would be.
The team has developed more grit despite there soft nature and that's on RT. He's done a great job drawing that out of them. He should be nominated coach of the year for what he's done with this group.
Crouse is such a wet noodle. He gets crosschecked by Lucic and wont even turn around to look at him. Wonder if his underwear was yellow after the game.
Garland is fun to watch. I'd like to see how he performs once he settles into his game here. Right now everynight he plays do or die hockey. It wont continue but hopefully he will maintain some of it because he has to in order to stay up. But very impressed so far.
Galchenyuk I like his game lately, he's giving effort and is around the net.

Reactions: Jakey53

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Correction: Garland played his way into being given a chance at the NHL level. Strome wanted that chance, but didn't play his way into being given that opportunity. That goes for both on/off ice and in practices. Not just games.

Does it alarm you to know that Garland's 10 points in 17 games (0.58 ppg) is just a shade under Strome's 17 points in 24 games with Chicago (0.61 ppg). And Strome is playing with way more talented players, so it goes to show that when people want to put the effort in, they will. Strome didn't want to put the effort in, but keep feeding yourself the rhetoric that it was all the coaches and their attitude toward Strome.
I can bet you Strome put supreme effort into his craft. He was handicapped by his skating yet kept working hard at it. He actually had a lot going against him . His confidence was probably the thing that hung by a thread like a lot of young kids wondering if they'd make it.
Fans like you probably never played the game at an elite level and don't understand the dynamics of making it. True some guys are just lazy fruks but that's rare and definitely not Strome.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Jmmack

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
True, to a degree. 3 or 4 goals that didn't touch his stick, but you could also argue that he makes his own luck. Smallest guy on the team but spends more time in front of the net than anyone.
Luck? Being around the net so the puck hits you and goes in? that's grit and more players need it.
Very few players dangle their way around and score.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
True, to a degree. 3 or 4 goals that didn't touch his stick, but you could also argue that he makes his own luck. Smallest guy on the team but spends more time in front of the net than anyone.

Getting in front of the net is huge. It takes balls and guarantees you'll get points. That's what Strome is doing consistently with Chicago. Even the games where he doesn't get points, if you just watch their goal highlights you'll see him in front on a high percentage of their goals. Garland is a small guy and still rushes the net. Fischer and Crouse are so much better when they do that. I think the fact that we don't have goal scorers hurts all these guy. It's a lot easier to get in front when you know you have shooters that are going to consistently get shots on net giving you opportunities to screen the goalie and get a chance at tips and rebounds. I also think it's coaching too.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We agree to disagree, and you have no idea what Strome did off ice and in practices so don't make statements to make it sound like you do. Garland, I believe has more points than ANY rookie in the NHL since he was called up. I really like the way the kid plays, you could not ask for anything more, but many of his points were of the lucky kind. His overall play has been top notch.

And let's not forget that Garland has done so in an average of 12:40 of ice time in his last 10 games. All of his points have come in the last 10 games. Strome's average ice time with the Coyotes? 13:32. Close to a full minute longer. Yes, Garland has gotten some luck. Same with Strome (remember the 1st goal he scored with the Blackhawks where Debrincat and Kane brought all the players with them, and Strome happened to be the only one in front of the net with 3 Vegas defenders behind goal line extended? Funny how you are able to bring Garland's luck up but can't stomach the idea that Cat and Kane did all the work for Strome...)

But agree to disagree all that you want. If Garland were the prized possession that gets treated differently, don't you think he would get MORE ice time than Strome? You're taking 2+2 and not even adding it up to equal 5. More like 5 billion, b/c your logic and reasoning is incredibly off target. The reason why coaches had an attitude toward Strome is b/c he had an attitude toward how he was being used and then did nothing to show that he could be used better. Why does Garland have better numbers with the same teammates than Strome, and is about even par in productivity with a player who plays with Patrick frickin Kane? You are using Trumpian logic right now.

Not saying that this could or should happen, but SR has some small amount of a pulse on the team. I am not saying that he has to confirm anything on either side, but let's ask if he can shed light on the subject once and for all and simply say it was more of a player issue or more of a coaching issue. After all, the teammates would be able to tell if Strome wasn't putting his all into the team. Clearly, you are going to say that it was 100% all the coaches and their attitude toward Strome (like many others are quick to blame the coaches here) and rarely would you ever put it on the player. It's not always that simple, but any things are pointing in the opposite direction of what you are stating, b/c Garland is getting very little ice time, same as Strome. The difference is that instead of counting the minutes he is getting, Garland is making those minutes count.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Of course I would like McDavid on my team. McDavid would have even more points if it weren’t so hard for the Oil to regain possession of the puck when his line was pinned deep in his own end so much.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think we are arguing the same point, but it's still luck when you get crosschecked to the ice and then have a slapshot careen off your forehead and into the net.
I'd say bad luck, since it was going in anyhow. Sure makes the case as to why some may not go to the net though! :laugh:

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I can bet you Strome put supreme effort into his craft. He was handicapped by his skating yet kept working hard at it. He actually had a lot going against him . His confidence was probably the thing that hung by a thread like a lot of young kids wondering if they'd make it.
Fans like you probably never played the game at an elite level and don't understand the dynamics of making it. True some guys are just lazy fruks but that's rare and definitely not Strome.

You are right - I never played hockey at an elite level. The closest I got in any sport was trying to walk on to the lacrosse team in college. I had everything against me all the same and made it a good chunk of the way through fall ball before being cut. There were players with worse attitudes who were kept ahead of me because they were on scholarship. When those kids found out they were low on the depth chart, guess what they did? They quit to transfer to D3 schools to get playing time.

I am not suggesting that Strome didnt put time into his craft, rather that Strome didnt want to do some of the final 5% of development to help get him to the upper levels that he thought he was at. Once he realized he wasn't going to be on a top line, just like the lacrosse players that I mentioned, he decided to quit on what the coaches were pushing him towards.

Reactions: ctwin22

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Being the terrible Coyotes with bad talent sucks but is expected. Having McDavid, possibly the best player in the world and a few other high picks that are pretty damn good and still sucking has to be even worse for Oiler fans. It is a hell of a lot more fun to watch a team with stars though. Watching guys like McDavid and Kane is a treat even when they lose.

Reactions: azcanuck

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We agree to disagree, and you have no idea what Strome did off ice and in practices so don't make statements to make it sound like you do. Garland, I believe has more points than ANY rookie in the NHL since he was called up. I really like the way the kid plays, you could not ask for anything more, but many of his points were of the lucky kind. His overall play has been top notch.

If that were the case that he did everything that was asked of him and more:

1. Why did we trade him in what was not a "hockey trade"?

2. Why would Chayka have the parting shot that they couldn't rely on "hope" any longer?

If you were doing everything that was asked of you in your job plus some, you wouldn't expect to get fired, right? Same logic applies here. I will wait for your response.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Amazing what trying to hang onto an NHL job and anticipating a contract negotiation will do to one's motivation. Garland knows this may be his one shot at becoming an NHL regular, and that's why he's the bravest man on the team right now. I love watching him play. Will I love watching him play next season if he gets resigned? Who knows. Players change when the ink dries sometimes. But for now, he's clearly a keeper - he's definitely the guy with the most hustle.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You are right - I never played hockey at an elite level. The closest I got in any sport was trying to walk on to the lacrosse team in college. I had everything against me all the same and made it a good chunk of the way through fall ball before being cut. There were players with worse attitudes who were kept ahead of me because they were on scholarship. When those kids found out they were low on the depth chart, guess what they did? They quit to transfer to D3 schools to get playing time.

I am not suggesting that Strome didnt put time into his craft, rather that Strome didnt want to do some of the final 5% of development to help get him to the upper levels that he thought he was at. Once he realized he wasn't going to be on a top line, just like the lacrosse players that I mentioned, he decided to quit on what the coaches were pushing him towards.
Give it a break. You are just making up things about Strome.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Correction: Garland played his way into being given a chance at the NHL level. Strome wanted that chance, but didn't play his way into being given that opportunity. That goes for both on/off ice and in practices. Not just games.

Does it alarm you to know that Garland's 10 points in 17 games (0.58 ppg) is just a shade under Strome's 17 points in 24 games with Chicago (0.61 ppg). And Strome is playing with way more talented players, so it goes to show that when people want to put the effort in, they will. Strome didn't want to put the effort in, but keep feeding yourself the rhetoric that it was all the coaches and their attitude toward Strome.
Strome was up and down like a yoyo from AHL, given plenty of chances. He needed to seize the opportunity like Garland has done. Garland is getting goals off of hustle and his willingness to stay in front of the net, something I never saw Strome do. Strome is starting to fade in Chicago now as well.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Amazing what trying to hang onto an NHL job and anticipating a contract negotiation will do to one's motivation. Garland knows this may be his one shot at becoming an NHL regular, and that's why he's the bravest man on the team right now. I love watching him play. Will I love watching him play next season if he gets resigned? Who knows. Players change when the ink dries sometimes. But for now, he's clearly a keeper - he's definitely the guy with the most hustle.

I think some guys just have that and others don't. Hammer is set in stone and he seems to lay the body on the line regularly. Just frustrating that others can't see these guys putting it on the line for a W, and willing to do the same.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I just read part of the Oilers board. They are a bad team with the best player in the world, more doom and gloom then our board, I guess it could be worse. I am happy we won, 3 in a row, going for the 4-peat tonight:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->