GDT: Game 44: Coyotes @ Chickenhawks | 4-20-13 | 5:30 PM AZ Time | FSA +

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It always fun beating the blackhawks, but in all honesty it probably would have been better to lose, to get a better chance at a top 10 pick.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I really hope Phoenix makes the playoffs. A good showing could inspire some serious consideration by an interested party into purchasing the team. The NHL is a better league with teams in the South and to lose another would be a shame. If QC/Seattle/Toronto/Houston want a team, then expansion should be the priority. Hopefully Bettman sticks to his guns and finds a suitable buyer who wants to keep the franchise in Arizona.

Go 'Yotes!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Smith with another solid performance at the United Center. Still think the Yotes will just miss making the final cut, but if Smith recaptures his Conn Smythe-worthy form and wills this team to victories, we can very well be poised for another Cinderella run. Even if it doesn't help in keeping this team in Phoenix, at least it'll be a nice send-off present for us long-suffering fans.

Last edited:

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I really hope Phoenix makes the playoffs. A good showing could inspire some serious consideration by an interested party into purchasing the team. The NHL is a better league with teams in the South and to lose another would be a shame. If QC/Seattle/Toronto/Houston want a team, then expansion should be the priority. Hopefully Bettman sticks to his guns and finds a suitable buyer who wants to keep the franchise in Arizona.

Go 'Yotes!

Thank you.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It is clearly obvious watching our club that we lack in scoring forwards.

We've got Vrby who is the only 1st line player. Doan, Boedker are the only 2nd line players. Hanzal is a 3rd line player along with Moss.

Everyone else is a 4th line player, Klinkhammer has been fine on the 3rd line, he's definitely a keeper, but he's a 4th line player, he should be on the wing with Boyd.

We need some serious re-tooling in the offseason.

Stays:
Forwards: Doan, Boedker, Vrbata, Hanzal, Klinkhammer, Gordon, Moss
Defense: OEL, Yandle, DeMo, Stone, Schlemko, Rundblad

Unsure: Michalek (again, I just don't think you can pay $4m for that production)

Go's:
Forwards: Vermette, Connor, Bolduc, Chipchura, Johnson, Korpikoski
Defense: Klesla

? / ? /Vrbata
Boedker/ ? /Doan
? /Hanzal/Moss
Klink /Gordon/ ?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Go 'Yotes!

Thanks so much. And congrats on the Leafs making the playoffs this year!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

We've got Vrby who is the only 1st line player. Doan, Boedker are the only 2nd line players. Hanzal is a 3rd line player along with Moss.

Everyone else is a 4th line player, Klinkhammer has been fine on the 3rd line, he's definitely a keeper, but he's a 4th line player, he should be on the wing with Boyd.

Stays:

Unsure: Michalek (again, I just don't think you can pay $4m for that production)

Go's:

? / ? /Vrbata
Boedker/ ? /Doan
? /Hanzal/Moss
Klink /Gordon/ ?

The only time the Yotes had a legit first line was basically the days of Tkachuck-Roenick-Tocchet. Pretty much the only way to get Top 6 forwards with our ownership situation is to either trade our prospect d-men (would rather not trade Yandle) for guys with ELCs or through the draft.

As nice as sticking it to the Hawks was tonight, the win probably takes out of drafting a top-tier forward in this year's draft, i.e. we're probably missing out on Lindholm/Monahan and are now looking at Shinkaruk, Wennberg, or Lazar. Not that they're chopped liver, but they're further away from making an impact.

Basically, unless this team gets a deep-pocketed owner, GMDM's hands are tied in obtaining scoring talent. Gotta make do with cheapie vets who hopefully can be productive within Tippet's system. Sometimes it can work wonderfully like with Whintey, but other times we end up with Sullivan.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
With that win, maybe we have a chance (stay out of the box!). Detroit isn't as scary a s years past. Dangerous but they can be beaten. The Sharks come into our barn after playing Dallas the night before. Maybe we catch them tired. Beat Colorado on fan appreciation night(me and the wife are there) and tough it out in Anahiem where the Ducks seem to be thinking about the playoffs. Stranger things have happened. Can't wait for Monday night.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
If we beat Detroit, we are one point out of 8th.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Schlemko did Vrbata's move better than Vrbata's been doing it lately.
Schlemko > Vrbata

Vrbata needs to do other moves every now and then, just to keep goaltenders honest. Everybody now seems to know he will go backhand every time.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Vrbata needs to do other moves every now and then, just to keep goaltenders honest. Everybody now seems to know he will go backhand every time.

Agreed. Just come straight in and once you're even with the top of the circles, let one fly into the upper right hand corner like "The Closer" used to do.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon

We've got Vrby who is the only 1st line player. Doan, Boedker are the only 2nd line players. Hanzal is a 3rd line player along with Moss. Everyone else is a 4th line player, Klinkhammer has been fine on the 3rd line, he's definitely a keeper, but he's a 4th line player, he should be on the wing with Boyd.

Stays:

Go's:

? / ? /Vrbata
Boedker/ ? /Doan
? /Hanzal/Moss
Klink /Gordon/ ?
Hanzal can be a 2C, but I think you're very close to where you need to be. Does anyone think Brandon Gormley can make the team next year? Moving Michalek and Yandle could let us fill in a couple of those ?'s with good names, although OEL, Morris, Stone, Schlemko, Rundblad, Gormley is nowhere near as good a D corps as we have now. All might be moot though, because I don't see the team paying Klesla to be 7D, so moving him would be a prerequisite.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schlemko did Vrbata's move better than Vrbata's been doing it lately.
Schlemko > Vrbata

Schlemko, what a great story. What a stand up character person and player. Everyone on these boards had him traded off, not making the team this year etc. etc. I think he is one of the most under rated players on this team and the league. The contract he signed was just crazy good for the Coyotes. I hope he continues progressing and can cash in on his next contract. Maybe Mike Smith should take a few tips from Schlemko and come to his senses.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hanzal can be a 2C, but I think you're very close to where you need to be. Does anyone think Brandon Gormley can make the team next year? Moving Michalek and Yandle could let us fill in a couple of those ?'s with good names, although OEL, Morris, Stone, Schlemko, Rundblad, Gormley is nowhere near as good a D corps as we have now. All might be moot though, because I don't see the team paying Klesla to be 7D, so moving him would be a prerequisite.

The thing is, if you have better quality forwards, they will be able to hang onto the puck longer, score more and have other teams play us different by not concentrating on our defense as much. I think we will be just fine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think Michalek will be here.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Stays:

Go's:

? / ? /Vrbata
Boedker/ ? /Doan
? /Hanzal/Moss
Klink /Gordon/ ?

A few thoughts...

Michalek is not paid for production. He is paid to be a steadying influence on the D with top shot blocking ability and a decent outlet pass.

Kind of hard to give up Vermette until we have at least 1 top 2 centre.

Don't think we can seperate Hanzal and Vrbata. They do make 2/3 of a good 2nd line.

Something has to give on the D to be sure. Maybe a draft day deal to move up?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'm not ready to write Connor off. He may have a place here.

Same. He's shown some pretty good flashes. He's not ready to go as a 2nd line regular by any means yet, but that doesn't mean he won't given another year in the AHL with the occasional call-up. I'd give him that at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad