Post-Game Talk: GAME #44: Canucks 0 @ Canadiens 2 | Pettersson MRI tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Thing is, we don't have anyone who does this or could do this.

Roussel is an agitator. Gudbranson is actually dangerous in a fight but never wants to fight... so who else fits that mold on this roster at all? Schaller?

Virtanen is willing to scrum and Horvat can throw a punch when he wants to... but they don't fit that mold you are talking about.

So... if we look outside who do we get then? Do they actually play hockey? There's not a lot of room for enforcers these days... I don't want to see Petey cheapshotted either, but what legitimate NHL players in the league today fit the mold you are talking about?

Are we talking Lucic? Is he actually making people go easy on McDavid? It's hard to protect your stars when you're never on the ice when their line is... and it's not actually protecting anything if the response only comes after an incident.

Preventative means that these things wouldn’t happen in the first place.

When you know that the other team has some nasty guys who are going to come after you if you mess with Pettersson, you think twice about messing with him.

If you do end up messing with him, you’re scared to come out for your next shift.

More importantly, as a coach, you’re scared to send out Domi and Duchene, because you know the Canucks are going to be taking runs at them now.

So at the very least, if the Canucks are without Pettersson for the rest of the game, the Habs are too afraid to send out their stars either.

Preventative measures absolutely work.

Reactions: clunk

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
You need to talk to your patients several months post trauma...I just assessed a guy who shattered his pelvis. The most traumatic thing was the chest tube for his hemo-pneumo thorax!!!!
But props to Bergeron....broken ribs are excruciating

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Preventative means that these things wouldn’t happen in the first place.

When you know that the other team has some nasty guys who are going to come after you if you mess with Pettersson, you think twice about messing with him.

If you do end up messing with him, you’re scared to come out for your next shift.

More importantly, as a coach, you’re scared to send out Domi and Duchene, because you know the Canucks are going to be taking runs at them now.

So at the very least, if the Canucks are without Pettersson for the rest of the game, the Habs are too afraid to send out their stars either.

Preventative measures absolutely work.

...so, if they work in your opinion, who do we get? Who playing in the NHL fits the mold you are talking about? What does our team look like?

Are we actually a better team that wins if we just have teammates that beat the shit out of people who look at EP sideways?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You need to talk to your patients several months post trauma...I just assessed a guy who shattered his pelvis. The most traumatic thing was the chest tube for his hemo-pneumo thorax!!!!

It is a procedure done under local anestesia, sometimes mildly unconfortable, but most of the time painless if the pleura is well anesthetized.

Maybe your patient just had a bad physician/a first year resident. ;)

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
And all this time I thought you were a podiatrist!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson's injury might not be serious, but at this rate he won't last the season. Because it's basically open season on him. Sam Bennett almost got him with a potential devastating knee on knee hit in the Calgary game to start the road-trip. Ottawa subjected him to a number of cheap shots in the front of the net and some face=washing after the whistle.

Meanwhile this soft as butter lineup stands around like cigar store mannequins as their best player takes a beating. In Edmonton, if you mess with McDavid you'll be facing retribution from Lucic and Kassian. In VanCity it's open passivity. Pitiful really.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
It's not so much about having a single big scary ogre that people are worried will hurt them as it is about having players with the ability, and - more importantly - the willingness to ramp things up to the point where players know they're going to be responsible for their teammates being repeatedly put through the boards for the rest of the game if they cross the line. There are teams that you know you don't want to wake up, and there are teams that you know you can do whatever the hell you want. It has always been this way. Acting like the only type of pushback or deterrent is a goon is overly simplistic, and probably obtuse.

I am asking how we can legitimately acquire players that fit the mold people are describing. Also, what teams today fit that mold?

The most easily acquirable players in that mold are goons, and they are not good hockey players. Are we talking like a Ryan Reaves, Tom Wilson type? ...I do not see us acquiring them without a large overpayment, which doesn't actually help the team win at hockey.

It's great to talk all about culture changes and how this team should be tougher and stick up for each other, but what do we actually do?

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Pettersson's injury might not be serious, but at this rate he won't last the season. Because it's basically open season on him. Sam Bennett almost got him with a potential devastating knee on knee hit in the Calgary game to start the road-trip. Ottawa subjected him to a number of cheap shots in the front of the net and some face=washing after the whistle.

Meanwhile this soft as butter lineup stands around like cigar store mannequins as their best player takes a beating. In Edmonton, if you mess with McDavid you'll be facing retribution from Lucic and Kassian. In VanCity it's open passivity. Pitiful really.
McDavid gets hacked and slashed all the time in spite of Lucic and Kassian. The NHL has taken the players policing themselves out of the game.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
...so, if they work in your opinion, who do we get? Who playing in the NHL fits the mold you are talking about? What does our team look like?

Are we actually a better team that wins if we just have teammates that beat the **** out of people who look at EP sideways?

cody mcleod

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's a huge difference between hooking and slashing and the kind of dangerous attention Pettersson is receiving. Matheson throws him down on his head and takes a two-game suspension; Bennett targets his knee; and teams are roughing him up when the puck is 60 feet away.

Teams know if they take out Pettersson, they'll take out the Canucks. Think about it.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I came to this thread trying to reassure you guys about the severity of Petterson injury.

Maybe saved a few from jumping off a bridge? Maybe a few others are still going to drink non-stop until they read about the MRI results? Tried my best, really, but you can't save them all, unfortunately. ;)

He is a fun young player to watch, for sure, and we'll see him on the ice soon I have no doubt.

Have a good night, folks!

Reactions: Nomobo

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It is a procedure done under local anestesia, sometimes mildly unconfortable, but most of the time painless if the pleura is well anesthetized.

Maybe your patient just had a bad physician/a first year resident. ;)

You ever had a collapsed lung?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Are we actually a better team that wins if we just have teammates that beat the **** out of people who look at EP sideways?

Literally any player over 6 foot and 200 pounds who is willing to stand up for his teammates.

You don’t have to be a talentless goon to be a scary guy. You just have to have the balls to make hits and go after players who mess with your superstar.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
The treatment Pettersson receives is no different from other stars in the league, it sucks but that’s the way the league has gone. It’s the price we have to pay to have the game played with the skill and speed as it is today and I’m not saying that I like it this way.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You ever had a collapsed lung?

Not personally, but treated maybe 20 in my practice (installed small chest tubes), and got the feedback from the patients I treated. Good enough for me. Most of the small chest tubes for pneumothorax are well tolerated if installed properly.

Often the problem arises after the procedure if the tube is badly positioned (the lung has no neural pain sensors but the pleuras are quite sensitive)... Then, it is going to be painful with breathing, cough, position, etc. Of course, the larger the chest tube (ex: a big one for an hemothorax), the more chance of being unconfortable.

Also, a chest tube for an uncomplicated small pneumothorax is often removed after a few days, which is not the case for all conditions.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I watched this video like 30 times and was unsure till I saw Habs rookie getting up and the way he swung his stick at Vancouver D mans ankles that came over to the play.Not a doubt in my mind he is a dirty little puke.Was no need there to get tangled up.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Same old Canucks - let Sedins get mugged for years with not respond and now see their best player by far get abused and and do nothing but look for excuses. That was far from a clean play as Pettersson got slung to the ice again and put in a very dangerous position. To say that was an innocence play or an accident is a sickening response. Just makes you want to puke.

If you are a team that cares and has any degree of smarts and heart, you don't see your younger stars have liberties taken with them. You protect him as much as you can and you take retribution as immediately as possible.

Far as the game goes the team gave it an effort but Price was good and the team looks tired. But after watching Pettersson go down and the lack of response to the mugging, I, like I think others, had such contempt for most of the team that the effort seemed meaningless.

Good

Markstrom - his play kept them somewhat in it. He has been great.

Tanev - one of those players that can skate so effortlessly that they can maintain a high level even when tired and getting a lot of game time. Edler lugged at times but he was also good overall. Maybe being asked to do too much.

Bad

Boeser - if he is not scoring he becomes a liability. Started playing as an individual once Pettersson was gone.

Granlund - simply not good enough. Had a few spurts but eliminated easily during most of the run of the play.

del Zotto - contributed nothing and wasn't skating well. Almost started appreciating Poo

Eriksson - never a great skater but he use to have at least a good stick. Now lacks anything. Passes were so weak and poor in this game.

Ugly

Hutton - played like crap and had a total view of what happen to Pettersson. Skated away as quickly as he could and ignored the situation. I know he has his fan boys but I lost all respect for Hutton given what happened.

Baertschi - worse than Granlund. Bet Granlund out-scores him this year. Baertschi might from time to time get on the end of scoring chances but he can create nothing. Too slow and weak to get around anyone. Right now I think the useless Gagner is the better player. He did more in short stint here than Baertschi is doing. Baertschi is absolutely not a top 6 player and he certainly isn't a bottom 6 player either. Just another horrible contract. Edmonton is looking for wingers so flog him off on them for whatever you can get. Goldobin, with all his faults, is the better player.

Others

Virtanen - provided the team with some push but like others started doing it on his own. One thing he needs to do is stop always stick handling before he shoots. A useless habit that just allows the shot blocker time to step in on your shot.

Horvat - can see his game has fallen off. Probably would have buried a couple if he was going like he was earlier in the year. Work load is beginning to tell.

Schaller - actually made a couple of good passes but he's bottom drawer in term of actual skill.

Gudbranson - needs to know his role. Getting well paid for bringing some kind of deterrence but I don't see that in his character. Played ok outside of some clumsy mishandling of the puck at the blue line

Sutter - played fairly well given that this was first game in a long while. But his intermission comment was deplorable. They have monitors at the bench and had to have seen the play.

One scene in the game really got to me. Just after Pettersson got taken out and obviously badly hurt I saw Newell Brown grinning down at his white board drawing up some "x's and o's" and Greene all focused on what Brown was describing. To me, that capsulized the Canucks response to the situation. To me the lack of response comes from the coach down and maybe from management down. Like let's not over react here. Like sure, the best player in years has been taken out but you know there is two big points on the line. And it was probably an innocent play and all so.... Maybe some one should tell these dolts that they are not going to get as many fans out if Pettersson isn't there and they will also probably lose some playoff money. Maybe that will get through these dolts heads that having some push back and security for their younger players might be needed to shuck away some more dough. Or maybe they think that watching crap like Eriksson, Granlund and Baertschi will do just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad