GDT: Game 43: House Stark @ House Lannister | 4-18-13 | 5:00 PM PDT

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Choosing Antoine "I couldn't hit a barn door" Vermette in the shootout over Boedker..

Uorg83u.gif

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
I'm a huge Smitty supporter, and if he stays I am 100% ok with Johnson getting at least 20 starts next year. Smitty's has been over worked both this year and last, need a backup that the coaches have faith in. Johnson is it.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Choosing Antoine "I couldn't hit a barn door" Vermette in the shootout over Boedker..

Uorg83u.gif

Boeds hasn't exactly been money in the shootouts this year either. I think Vrbata and Sullivan are the only two Yotes with more than one SO goal this season. :shakehead

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why the eff does 695-1 say Ducks vs Oilers on my guide? Why the eff didn't this game record? What the eff is going on with DTV? Can anyone help?

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
If Columbus loses in regulation, Yotes are 5 points back with 2 games in hand. Need a loss from Dallas tomorrow, and a lot of help on Saturday and Sunday though...there may still be a slight chance, need a ton of help.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like what I've seen from Johnson, but as the full-time starter? I'm not sure. It's been such a small sample size. At the very least you'd need to bring in a solid veteran as backup.

Johnson (6'3") plays a lot like Smith (6'4") in that he uses his frame to his advantage. Very square to the puck, great on the angles, just a very positional goaltender. Not a whole lot of flash, but he keeps the puck out of the net. Sean Burke could have a lot of success with him.

Compare that to someone like LaBarbera. I'm not even positive it's a difference in skill set. He's the same size as Johnson but he really doesn't use his frame to his advantage. LaBarbera must expel so much energy flopping around. Comparatively, Johnson is very cool, collected.

After tonight, Johnson's numbers improved to 1.21 GAA with a .954 Sv%. That's giving your team a chance to win. And he remains undefeated in regulation. LaBarbera's likability in the room can only go so far. If he's so well liked, give him Howler's job.

rt

May 13, 2004
My take on LaBarbera is that it's not his positioning or athleticism, it's his AHL level puck tracking and rebound control. It's the former pair of skills that make him an nhl player despite the latter two short comings. That and his size and personality.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Just watched te highlights.

Is it wrong that I found it funny when Vermette and Morris basically jumped Backes after he hit OEL? :laugh:

I mean, it was awesome.

Smart nice by OEL not fighting Sobotka. Apparently he does MMA fighting in the off season. Would've been cool to watch OEL get in a fight though.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Finally got home and saw the highlights. I was really happy to see my mancrush/girlfriend Vrbie break the shutout. Also Johnson looked very solid from what I saw, I really hope we bring him back in some capacity next season.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Anyone but Detroit

One second the Coyotes playoff chances are near dead, and then the next... if St. Louis beats Dallas tonight, preferably in regulation, we're right back in the thick of things. And with two games in hand on the Jackets.

If we think these standings are tight, it'll only be more insane next year with the new divisions and wildcard format.

rt

May 13, 2004
If we go 1.00 and those other three teams go < .500 than we make. Why would that happen, though? It hasn't happened in the first forty plus games, why the last half dozen?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One second the Coyotes playoff chances are near dead, and then the next... if St. Louis beats Dallas tonight, preferably in regulation, we're right back in the thick of things. And with two games in hand on the Jackets.

It's not close if you are two and a half back with 5 to play. Seriously. Winning those two in hand doesn't even tie you, let alone likely give you more ROW.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
LaBarbera's likability in the room can only go so far. If he's so well liked, give him Howler's job.

I found that to be quite funny.

The possibility of us making the playoffs are extremely small. I'm pretty sure that the only way to salvage this season is to get an owner. And the chances of that are even smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad