Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
C1kmkBRUAAIWbrQ.jpg:large

YVUQXq0.jpg

gKf5aod.jpg

2015-04-05-16.32.54.jpg

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/1646311/

The Boston Bruins landed in Miami at 5:05 p.m. on Friday.

Their flight, originally scheduled to land in Fort Lauderdale, was diverted from that airport after a shooting there killed five people and wounded eight.

That type of tragedy puts hockey - or any sport - in its proper perspective.

"It's pretty crazy when you think of what happened," Florida Panthers defenseman Mike Matheson said. "Everyone in South Florida is a tight-knit community. It's tough to see something like that happen anywhere but especially five minutes from where I live."

Still, there is a season to play, and the Bruins (20-17-4) will presumably be the more-rested team when they play Florida on Saturday night at the BB&T Center. Boston is coming off a 4-3 home loss to the Edmonton Oilers.

However, Florida (17-15-8) beat the Nashville Predators 2-1 on Friday night, moving within two points of the three teams tied for second place in the Atlantic Division - including the Bruins.

It's possible Boston will start backup goalie Zane McIntyre, who was called up on Friday from Providence of the American Hockey League.

The Bruins would like to get some rest for starting goalie Tuukka Rask, and they are placing their faith in McIntyre - for now at least. Former backup Anton Khudobin (1-5-0) cleared waivers on Thursday and was sent to Providence.

McIntyre, 24, struggled when he was called up earlier this season, going (0-2-0, 4.04 GAA), losing to a pair of powers - the New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens.

Since then, McIntyre regrouped. He went 10-0-0 with an AHL-best 1.41 GAA at Providence.

"He's here," Bruins coach Claude Julien, "because he's playing well."

The Panthers, who beefed up security for Friday night's game against Nashville, said there will be a larger police presence on Saturday as well.

Panthers executive chairman Peter Luukko said the team was in touch with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman as well as several law enforcement entities and Broward County officials.

"We got word around 4 p.m. that the situation was under control," Luukko said. "It was isolated to just the airport.

"We decided as an organization that it was best to go on with the game. This (tragedy) is the way the world is today, unfortunately. But as part of the community, we felt it was best to move on and not let something like this terrible act affect our daily lives.

"We are a gathering place for the community. Perhaps in these situations, it is best for the community to come together. We did feel it was important to move on but also respect those who were killed and pray for the wounded - pray for their recovery."

Panthers starting goalie Roberto Luongo was pulled moments before the start of Friday's game due to upper-body discomfort. Luongo has been stuck on 447 career wins for three straight games. If he can get one more win, he will pass Terry Sawchuk for fifth place on the NHL's career victories list.

With Luongo likely out for the Bruins, backup James Reimer is ready. Reimer slumped in November but was brilliant in December. He had a 1.90 goals-against average and .941 save percentage last month and then won his first January start on Friday.

Panthers center Nick Bjugstad suffered a lower-body injury on Friday and is questionable for Saturday's game.

Bruins center David Backes, attempting to return from a concussion, made the trip to Florida while defenseman John-Michael Liles (concussion) practiced on Friday and should return soon.

Tonight's Officials

130p_morton.jpg
130p_pollock.jpg

Referees Dean Morton (36), Kevin Pollock (33)
Linesmen Steve Barton (59), Steve Miller (89)

Ntl. Anthem Miami Country Day School

WAYBACK MACHINE

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins visit the Panthers tonight in the 4th of 5 games between these teams and the 3rd and final of the season series at BB&T Center … The Bruins are 20-17-4 thus far this season with an 11-7-4 mark on the road … They are 11-5-0 vs. Atlantic Division
opponents and are 15-10-4 vs. Eastern Conference teams this season.

The Bruins begin the second half of their season tonight, as they reached the halfway point of the season Thursday vs. EDM … They will play 22 games on home ice and 19 on the road over the second half.

They are playing game 2 tonight of their 10th and are opening their 11th of 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights, as they hosted EDM on Thursday, play in FLA tonight, in CAR on Sunday & in STL on Tuesday … They are currently 4-5-1 in game 1s, 3-4-2 in game 2s and 3-5-1 in game 3s of these series.

The Bruins are opening tonight their 8th of 14 sets of back-to-back games … They are 3-2-2 in the 1st game of those sets and are 1-5-1 in the 2nd game thus far.

This current four-game road trip ties for Boston's longest of the season, which they have already done twice (10/26-11/3; 12/22-29) and will do twice more after this trip (2/19-26; 3/13-20).

BOSTON vs FLORIDA, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Panthers are meeting for the 91st time in their histories with the Bruins having a 49-30-6-5 record and 258-223 scoring advantage in those games.

The Bruins are 26-14-2-2 in their 44 road games of this lifetime series with a 129-121 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins are 16-2-1 in their last 19 games vs. the Panthers, including a 2-1 win in Florida on 11/1, 4-3 OT win in Boston on 12/5 and 3-1 victory in Florida on 12/22 in the 1st 3 games of this season’s series, and they are 22-4-1 in their last 27 games of this lifetime set… They are 12-2-1 in their last 15 visits to Sunrise, including wins in their last 4 straight trips.

INJURIES (111 total man-games lost)

David Backes – Concussion; Has missed 3 games
Matt Beleskey – Right knee; 6 wks from time of 12/3 injury; Has missed 16 games (IR)
John-Michael Liles – Concussion; Has missed 19 games (IR)

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Jimmy Hayes is 2 points short of his 100th NHL point.
Ryan Spooner is 3 points shy of his 100th NHL point.
David Krejci is 3 points short of his 500th NHL point.
Dominic Moore is 3 goals shy of his 100th NHL goal.

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20162017/[email protected]?1483792444000

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think I would rather see Roberto in goal . We are expecting a snow storm tonight in Cape Breton . Time to batten down the hatches and watch the Bruins . As others have mentioned this weekend is vital . I predict Marchand gets a couple tonight.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bruins entire defense: 6 goals

There are 17 NHL d-men who have more goals than the entire Bruins defense.

Noweare

Jan 4, 2017
New Hampshire
I think I would rather see Roberto in goal . We are expecting a snow storm tonight in Cape Breton . Time to batten down the hatches and watch the Bruins . As others have mentioned this weekend is vital . I predict Marchand gets a couple tonight.

Marchand is over due for sure.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It'll be interesting to see how this team comes out and plays given where they currently are in the standings.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Gonna miss this one as the Seahawks game out west is huge, tonnes of B.C. people follow them, and my buddy is having a party.

Bruins always do well against them so I am expecting a win.

Go Steelers, cant wait until tomorrow!!!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Marchand is over due for sure.

Hey welcome to the board :)

Terrible news on the airport attack :(

I would like a win please. A cold night, a cup of tea , three cats to keep me company and a B's win would be sweet.

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :handclap::handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->