GDT: Game 41 | SENS @ DEVILS | Friday, April 12 | 7PM (ET) | SNET,TVA | Exorcist Edition

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
The "upper hand" wording is a direct quote from the rule book. With one hand on the stick, there is no upper hand. Real butt ending is what Brandon Prust did to Erik Karlsson in the playoffs last year, a spear with the blunt end of the stick.

So the one hand on his stick is the "lower hand", by your interpretation of the rule?

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I just... there's no power in your stick there. This whole thing is dumb, dumb, dumb.

I've played goal for 30 years. You'd be hard pressed to hurt someone with that part of your stick on that angle in that situation (through his helmet).

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I just... there's no power in your stick there. This whole thing is dumb, dumb, dumb.

I've played goal for 30 years. You'd be hard pressed to hurt someone with that part of your stick on that angle in that situation (through his helmet).

This is a pretty ridiculous post. They don't discipline strictly off the result of the incident. Andy felt he had to do something to defend himself, so he butt-ended the guy in the head. Worthy of a fine, imo.

Yes, Henrique tried to sell the play, but you can definitely generate power with one hand on a stick.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
This is a pretty ridiculous post. They don't discipline strictly off the result of the incident. Andy felt he had to do something to defend himself, so he butt-ended the guy in the head. Worthy of a fine, imo.

Yes, Henrique tried to sell the play, but you can definitely generate power with one hand on a stick.

Yeah, we're going to have to disagree. With the butt being that far away from your hand, and the angle with which you hold the goalie stick, and how far the stick travels - it's not going to generate anywhere near the power you need to knock a 200 lb athlete into next week if you hit him on the side of his helmet. Go try it out.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Did Andy actually say he felt he had to defend himself? Or is that all speculation and implication?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If this was intentional, then it'd a real buttend. Andy's seemed to be almost like a high stick.

I don't even care anymore. Devils fans and the people on the main board are a ****ing joke.

A 2 handed chop by Hall - clear and DELIBERATE attempt to injure another player? A nothing play.

Henrique diving after being hit in the helmet by the end of a stick (that's not always a butt-end but apparently if you only read the words of the rule-book and misconstrue it deliberately it is!) is a deliberate attempt by Anderson to injure and it's the worst thing to happen this year in the NHL.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, we're going to have to disagree. With the butt being that far away from your hand, and the angle with which you hold the goalie stick, and how far the stick travels - it's not going to generate anywhere near the power you need to knock a 200 lb athlete into next week if you hit him on the side of his helmet. Go try it out.

I already said I thought Henrique sold it- the problem is intentionally putting your stick in someone's face. There's no place for that.

Did Andy actually say he felt he had to defend himself? Or is that all speculation and implication?

Speculation. The Devils were crashing the crease pretty hard.

Why else would he stick his stick out like that?

But then again, I thought MDZ deserved at least a fine for his chicken wing on Neal.:dunno:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Refs tend to have grudges and penalize players they don't like. Remember how many "goaltender interference calls" Foligno got. In this case, these refs saw Henrique flopping around like he was trying out for the France national soccer team and, even though that was a penalty, probably swallowed their whistle because of how embarrasing Henrique was.

Oh of course.

But you can't say, we didn't get away with one there. It should have been called. But like everything else in the league, it depends on how the player reacts to play, it depends on who it is, it depends on where the Refs are looking.

That said, it still should have been called. But people on the main boards are losing it.

Rule books, Schmule Books!!

It doesn't really matter what the rule books say these days. So I'll go with how the NHL typically deals with things, and say, it should have been an ON ICE call and that's it.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I would say, often they do penalize based off the result of the incident. Not saying it should be that way, or whatever. But generally injury and what not does make a big difference in what the discipline and what they do not.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wow, funnny fans out in force here! "But the rule book says!!!" blah blah blah...

The Devils were running around in the crease all night and Andy fought back and sent a message, simple as that. All the helicopter fans who fear for the eye, the cheek, the jaw, the falling sky, are hilarious. Henrique was in no danger of being concussed, losing an eye, a tooth, or his pride (until he dove), because Andy didn't hit him very hard. Just hard enough to send a message.

And it worked...

Refs will often let players police themselves at times and this may have been an example, or they may have missed it, who can say. Shanahan is going to look at this (if he even does) and say you run the crease all game, the goalie is gonna let you know.

This really has become the generation of whining and complaining. Makes me pine for even 10 years ago when people would have looked at this play and said, meh, stay out of his crease if you don't want the goalie to go after you.

Attaboy Andy!

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
how has no-one mentioned that the only reason the sens only got 11 shots was that the devils trapped us?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What's even funnier is that we hit 2 posts too, lol. It's not like we scored on our ONLY chances. Not to mention Michalek's breakaway which should have been penalty shot.

the chef

Just you know why...
Mar 22, 2009
I don't get the Andy hate on the main board. If what he did was severe, then why doesn't Henrique do something about? Furthermore, the devils didn't retaliate later in the game.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If that Anderson butt-end gets supplementary discipline we can thank that hockey writer for Yahoo getting his panties in a bunch. It's basically drumming up media attention for a missed PENALTY (not suspension) - I mean really?

Meanwhile no call on Hall, a vicious 2 handed slash and the media coverage of that is toned down quite a bit.

Basically butthurt Yahoo sports writer may get the person who deserves the Vezina fined/suspended.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I don't get why the Devils lot are still complaining, they outshot us what, 33-11 and lost 2-0... I think they should be more concerned about MB30's awful play and their inability to capitalize on chances...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->