GDT: Game 41 | SENS @ DEVILS | Friday, April 12 | 7PM (ET) | SNET,TVA | Exorcist Edition

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Two for high sticking, OK. But butt ending is a two-handed action that involves exposing the shaft of the stick "above the upper hand" and driving it into an opponent. It's dangerous. Goalies don't even have an upper hand, because they hold the stick with one hand. Has a goalie ever been called for butt ending? I don't think so.
My heart went out to Henrique in his agonized writhing. That one-handed tap may have brushed the edge of his visor.

Butt-ending is when you hit a player with the butt end of your stick. Doesn't matter how many hands you use.

John Holmes*

Hendrique is an embarrassment to the game.

That's worse than Derek Roy used to be.

Pathetic is the word that describes it best.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Why would it piss you off so much? Literally just a stat in someones goal column. At least the boys got two points.

Well, no. It's not just the stat, to me a third goal changes how the last thirty seconds of that game play out. The intensity dies down, the result is determined, and the players just go through the motions. Less chance of a hit with meaning, less sustained pressure so no one has to block a shot. That sort of thing does change the game and does matter. I don't think they weren't trying to bury it - but they did a lousy job of it and screwed up a two on one with no goalie in the net.

In the end it didn't matter, but it could have.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Butt-ending is when you hit a player with the butt end of your stick. Doesn't matter how many hands you use.

The "upper hand" wording is a direct quote from the rule book. With one hand on the stick, there is no upper hand. Real butt ending is what Brandon Prust did to Erik Karlsson in the playoffs last year, a spear with the blunt end of the stick.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Well, no. It's not just the stat, to me a third goal changes how the last thirty seconds of that game play out. The intensity dies down, the result is determined, and the players just go through the motions. Less chance of a hit with meaning, less sustained pressure so no one has to block a shot. That sort of thing does change the game and does matter. I don't think they weren't trying to bury it - but they did a lousy job of it and screwed up a two on one with no goalie in the net.

In the end it didn't matter, but it could have.

Okay, that makes sense. I'd be willing to bet Omni wasn't thinking the same thing when it he wrote that though. I'm just happy about the win. Not mad the third goal didn't happen.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
second huge win in a row. looks like the boys are back on track.

and also love our depth. alsmost everyone that comes up immidiately contributes. and considering that a few other in bingo also deserve a stint with the big club is awesome.

I'm sorry. Back on track when getting 11 sog? :laugh:

BeerandHockey

╚(Þ_Þ)╝
Jun 10, 2009
BAR_B_Q_HAVEN
I'm sorry. Back on track when getting 11 sog? :laugh:

Yeah, and of those shots there was a 2 on 0 and others in the slot, plus other good chances where NJ were fortunate to get a stick on it. 11 shots was all Ottawa needed in the end. Anderson likes lots of shots, most goalies do, especially when most are wristers from the boards and the points.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
You don't get points in the standing for SOG. The only stat that matters is team points. There will be wins that are prettier than others, but when we are in a death race for the last playoff spot an ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
What was so wrong about Anderson's high stick that it's the biggest thread on the main page? He lifts his stick towards a players going perpendicular and he brushes the side of the head.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
What was so wrong about Anderson's high stick that it's the biggest thread on the main page? He lifts his stick towards a players going perpendicular and he brushes the side of the head.

Are you blind? Vicious attempt to injure if I've ever seen one. Had it not been for his helmet and his visor then Anderson could have given him a bruise on the side of the head. Wouldn't surprise me if he is suspended for the rest of the regular season.

FightingIrish

Total Lak of Respek
Aug 30, 2010
Ottawa
Are you blind? Vicious attempt to injure if I've ever seen one. Had it not been for his helmet and his visor then Anderson could have given him a bruise on the side of the head. Wouldn't surprise me if he is suspended for the rest of the regular season.
This ****ing guy lmao.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Andy should have for sure gotten a call for that. But with the horrid inconsistency of this game these days, who knows what they call any more!

Andy got away with one for sure. But Henrique embellished.

A fine at most is what he gets. Likely nothing.

And that game, I can't believe we held on like we did. Back to ugly wins! Yup, I'll take it!

Refs tend to have grudges and penalize players they don't like. Remember how many "goaltender interference calls" Foligno got. In this case, these refs saw Henrique flopping around like he was trying out for the France national soccer team and, even though that was a penalty, probably swallowed their whistle because of how embarrasing Henrique was.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I'd love to see some sort of 'territorial advantage' graphic from last night's game. Moreso than the shots on net, the whole game seemed to be played in the Sens' end. But they didn't get that many quality scoring opportunities, Andy was great but it wasn't like he had to be spectacular. And then poor Marty on the other end looking like a lame duck giving up 2 on 11 when they were both good goals and one was a 2 on 0.

Sure was nice seeing the skill level last night on that 2 on 0. Just the little things like Alfie's pass being perfect so as to not get tipped by the D or the goalie yet easy enough to handle cleanly, that it was handled cleanly and buried by 9mm, that Milo's pass to Alfie was handled. During the losing streak we had some chances die on little miscues like bobbled passes or a split-second hesitation that killed an opportunity. And Pageau's tip was a beauty. This season has been characterized by grit and puck-luck, you know? Nice to see some of our skill on display.

And yes, I just posted that after an 11 shot win. hahaha... but you know - took advantage... or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->