Post-Game Talk: Game #41 - Bruins hang on to win 6-4!

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I will preface this by saying that I think Cassidy has done an excellent job with the B’s overall. That said, I’m not sure I understand the way he handles some of the players (younger ones particularly) in regards to line combos and TOI.

It’s strange to me that you can have a kid like Heinen, who had 47 pts last season, but is clearly scrambling to find his game this year, be moved all over the place and receive limited minutes at the drop of a hat.

Yet, with a player like a Acciari, who I think most would agree has struggled this season, Cassidy continues to give him chance after chance and last night he had the 4th highest TOI overall and 3rd highest at ES.

To me, that’s a little nuts.

It’s not just about Heinen. From last night’s game:

Bergeron - 19:38
Pasta - 19:06
Marchand - 18:27
Acciari - 17:29
Krejci - 16:38
DeBrusk - 16:04

Noel Acciari had more ice time than David Krejci and Jake DeBrusk (ES and overall).

Let that sink in for a minute.

I’m happy the B’s were able to beat a tough Calgary team last night and I want them to continue to win. I just don’t see how that’s sustainable when the team’s best players aren’t seeing the ice the most.

This is why I try not to second guess any coach in any sport. We have no idea who's got what going on and what they're thinking at the time. I'm sure there's rationale for why Acciari got so many minutes (at least in Cassidy's mind) while the rest of us scratch our heads. Every fan base for every pro team has people wondering why a coach or manager had this guy in at this time, but unless you're involved on the bench or sidelines we really have no idea what's really going on and why

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is why I try not to second guess any coach in any sport. We have no idea who's got what going on and what they're thinking at the time. I'm sure there's rationale for why Acciari got so many minutes (at least in Cassidy's mind) while the rest of us scratch our heads. Every fan base for every pro team has people wondering why a coach or manager had this guy in at this time, but unless you're involved on the bench or sidelines we really have no idea what's really going on and why

That’s true, but...

I would say as a general rule of thumb, a team’s most talented and productive players should be seeing the ice more than other, less talented players.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Hey Toronnnnto

iu

Would love to get the home ice advantage over them. They fall apart in game 7's in Boston

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
B-b-b-ut I thought fighting was no deterrent? :biglaugh:

Calgary wanted NOTHING to do with Boston physically last night. Miller and Chara were in a mood and Hathaway vanished. Important to set the physical tone once in a while.[/QUOTE]

------------
Quotes seem to be broken:
I kept waiting for Hathaway to do something stupid but much like last year with McQuaid he remembered his place after Chara said hello.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That’s true, but...

I would say as a general rule of thumb, a team’s most talented and productive players should be seeing the ice more than other, less talented players.

It was the penalty killing and the empty net situation at the end- for however much Noel sucks in most parts of his game, he is a very good penalty killer and shot blocker. I think it was just an anomaly, though I agree Noel plays too much in general, at least in Boston. I'm fine with him getting those kind of minutes in Providence :laugh:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Guadreau and Calgary are awesome , but the lads were just determined not to let the Flames back in the game when they got close , it's as valuable as the 2 points , towards confidence against top clubs .

The Bs played great. Flames were very mediocre tonight as I expected. Not to take away anything from you guys. The better team won last night but I wish the Flames played better.

Much rather lose to you than Detroit (previous game)

Hope you guys climb up the ladder and face the leafs in the post season. I have no doubts you can take care of business with them.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It was the penalty killing and the empty net situation at the end- for however much Noel sucks in most parts of his game, he is a very good penalty killer and shot blocker. I think it was just an anomaly, though I agree Noel plays too much in general, at least in Boston. I'm fine with him getting those kind of minutes in Providence :laugh:

That’s what I thought at first, but Acciari had almost 15 minutes of even strength TOI.

That’s too much.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That’s what I thought at first, but Acciari had almost 15 minutes of even strength TOI.

That’s too much.

:eek2: Wow, I would not have guessed that. Well, it's a mystery to me then. Trying to understand this, I guess it was some particular matchup situation that Cassidy liked out there? Or maybe he just has his binky and likes it . . .

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
B-b-b-ut I thought fighting was no deterrent? :biglaugh:

Calgary wanted NOTHING to do with Boston physically last night. Miller and Chara were in a mood and Hathaway vanished. Important to set the physical tone once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, they were very quiet on that front last night, good to have the big boys back.

Reactions: BMC

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That’s true, but...

Oh I agree but I'm sure there's reasons that they do what they do and wouldn't disclose with us unwashed masses

Reactions: Iceage

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
The Bs played great. Flames were very mediocre tonight as I expected. Not to take away anything from you guys. The better team won last night but I wish the Flames played better.

Much rather lose to you than Detroit (previous game)

Hope you guys climb up the ladder and face the leafs in the post season. I have no doubts you can take care of business with them.
The Flames may have been mediocre, but Guadreau was simply superb. I was crapping myself ever time he even got a sniff of the puck. He's as good as anyone in the League and I wish he was a Bruin

Reactions: lopey and Zillah

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Everyone used to bitch and complain about Julien misusing his younger players, and giving more opportunities to the vets. But Cassidy is doing the same thing, and in my opinion, doing much worse. I can't help to understand why he sits JFK for 3-4 games straight (correct me if I'm wrong), and then when he decides to play him, JFK only sees 7-12 minutes of ice time. If you're going to do that to the kid, just send him down to Providence where he can get opportunity and ice time.

I didn't watch last nights game, but there is a consistent repetition of ice time and certain opportunities given to certain players. There's a love for Acciari, which I personally do not understand. I like Acciari, I do. But he's a 4th line winger, and at times (sometimes way more often than not) he should not be in the lineup. However, he plays 17:29 minutes (I believe that's a career high).
Kuraly 16:55
Wagner 15:33

And then you look at certain kids like
Donato 10:04
JFK 7:07
Heinen: 8:52

It's frustrating to me. How do you want these players to develop and become confident when they barely get consistent opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I like Kuraly, Wagner and Acciari, but this is getting a little ridiculous. Also, why put JFK on the wing (a position he's never played .... Again correct me if i'm wrong) ... you're setting him up to fail.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Everyone used to ***** and complain about Julien misusing his younger players, and giving more opportunities to the vets. But Cassidy is doing the same thing, and in my opinion, doing much worse. I can't help to understand why he sits JFK for 3-4 games straight (correct me if I'm wrong), and then when he decides to play him, JFK only sees 7-12 minutes of ice time. If you're going to do that to the kid, just send him down to Providence where he can get opportunity and ice time.

I didn't watch last nights game, but there is a consistent repetition of ice time and certain opportunities given to certain players. There's a love for Acciari, which I personally do not understand. I like Acciari, I do. But he's a 4th line winger, and at times (sometimes way more often than not) he should not be in the lineup. However, he plays 17:29 minutes (I believe that's a career high).
Kuraly 16:55
Wagner 15:33

And then you look at certain kids like
Donato 10:04
JFK 7:07
Heinen: 8:52

It's frustrating to me. How do you want these players to develop and become confident when they barely get consistent opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I like Kuraly, Wagner and Acciari, but this is getting a little ridiculous. Also, why put JFK on the wing (a position he's never played .... Again correct me if i'm wrong) ... you're setting him up to fail.

well said, Acciari receiving 15 mins of TOI is inexplicable and inexcusable to this fan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
well said, Acciari receiving 15 mins of TOI is inexplicable and inexcusable to this fan
17:29 to be exact.

Since the mind breaking decision to have Kuraly see two shifts in OT (he did score) I'm a bit short on confidence in a Bruce which I didn't think was going to happen.

Reactions: Estlin

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Calgary is an exciting team to watch, but I'm not convinced their goaltending can take them to the Final.

dafoomie just posted the clip of Frolik changing his mind about taking on Miller. Who wants to post it on the main board so there can be another epic meltdown about Jack Edwards? ;)

Calgary has Rittich.He is solidI seen lots of goalies not considered stars go a long way.Look at Roloson for example or Niemi

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Calgary has Rittich.He is solidI seen lots of goalies not considered stars go a long way.Look at Roloson for example or Niemi
I agree and you forgot Matt Murray. ;)

I watch a lot of West games, and the Flames are one of my favorite teams to watch.

Imagine how dangerous they'd be if James Neal ever regains his scoring touch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad