GDT: Game 40: Islanders @ Sabres - 12/31 6pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You'd rather jack up who's ice time instead? Mittelstadt and his cheap turnovers that everyone's complaining about tonight? Sobotka? Larsson?
Oh I don’t know , Jeff Skinner.

Has it occurred to you or @CrazyPsycho that Erod could center that line but Skinner and/or Sam get the double shift with the 3rd line? Thus getting more ice time to guys who might actually score a goal. That’s before getting into Sam at center or few other things that could be tried.

Instead our coach plays the far less offensively talented players in bigger minutes than usual and not surpingly we can’t score.

Our bottom 3 lines can’t score. Why on earth would any coach think playing those guys extra was the answer? We could have had Skinner and Sam up around 17-19mins at ES tonight. Lean on them with Jack out.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Has it occurred to you or @CrazyPsycho that Erod could center that line but Skinner and/or Sam get the double shift with the 3rd line? Thus getting more ice time to guys who might actually score a goal. That’s before getting into Sam at cetner or any other things that could be tried.

Instead our coach plays the far less offensively talented player in big minutes. We could have had Skinner and Sam up by 17-19mins at ES tonight. Lean on them with Jack out.
If I don't want Amerks playing with Sobotka, why would I want Skinner? :laugh:

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015

Has it occurred to you or @CrazyPsycho that Erod could center that line but Skinner and/or Sam get the double shift with the 3rd line? Thus getting more ice time to guys who might actually score a goal. That’s before getting into Sam at cetner or any other things that could be tried.

Instead our coach plays the far less offensively talented player in big minutes. We could have had Skinner and Sam up by 17-19mins at ES tonight. Lean on them with Jack out.
after Jack & Jeff the entire team are far less offensively talented players.. Which offensive players are you talking about? where have they been all year

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sams inflated point total is all Eichel and Skinner. Dude has 8 goals in the first 40 games. Sooo worth 6+ mil :sarcasm:

If Sam was truly a star he would have centered the top line in Jacks absence. Or scored a big goal on his own when we needed it. He needs a lot more then a lucky streak playing with 2 stars to earn a big contract.

Why do you constantly criticize a player by using an example of something that is out of Sams control?

Sam doesn’t Center the line because Housley makes that decision

Reactions: joshjull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I don't think that's it.

I dunno..... both Buffalo and the Avs (1 line teams) are struggling after making a whole lot of early season noise.

Neither franchise could sustain the success of the early season. Meanwhile, other teams (with depth) are starting to play well.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Why is this on Housley? we have (1) line.. and no depth forwards after. What coach wins w/ that?

Not saying it's all on Housley, I'm saying Housley isnt helping. Everyone knows we are a 1 line team, but Housley shows no stomach to even try to change things or adjust. For two years all offense has run through Jack and now that we have someone to help in Skinner we are still relying on drop passes and watching no look passes to the opponents tape like we are the damn Harlem globetrotters. He refuses to sit players when the mess up, and still looks just happy to be here. Theres no urgency. Why sit Pilut for Beaulieu?

We cant get rid of all the players that need to go, and the coach isnt helping. He should be fired and Botts should be calling every veteran coach without a job looking for someone who will at least demand respect from the room. Not because hes a HOF player, but because they will be in Rochester or the press box if they dont play hard every shift.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Tonight's stat line epitomizes Erod for me:

20/9 - CF/CA
14/5 - SF/SA
11/5 - SCF/SCA
6/5 - HDCF/HDCA

He can skate and pass, and he can possess the puck, but he lives on the perimeter. He needs to get to the net, as most of the time his positive possession metrics result in no goals.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
You want to sign this Ghost for a long term deal??

Where was he tonight?

I'm not saying we need to give Sam a Jack Eichel-like contract, but I would love to get him on a 6x6 deal.

Sam is not going to drive play on his own, or live up to the #2 overall pick hype. He'll make the occasional elite play (like the breakout pass to Skinner the previous game that led to Marco's goal), and rack up points as the "ghost" on our 1st line. That's still a player I want to have on the team long term.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I dunno..... both Buffalo and the Avs (1 line teams) are struggling after making a whole lot of early season noise.

Neither franchise could sustain the success of the early season. Meanwhile, other teams (with depth) are starting to play well.

I think it could be that there's a large enough sample size that teams results are indicative of their skill. And maybe that's what you meant.

I just disagree with the idea that real teams come out to play in November. That just sounds like coach speak, no pun intended given your username

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Our scorers are cold as hell man.

In the news, Mittelstadt wasn’t ready for this. It’s beyond official. Botts ****ed that up hard.

If they continue to play like this, that culture change is about to be tested and we’ll get a sense if Botts read the situation correctly

Reactions: sabremike

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
True :laugh:

But I’ll take my chances
I'll entertain Reinhart at center when I actually see it again. If you meant with Mittelstadt, I wouldn't argue with trying that. I expect the cheap giveaways he makes since they're developing him at the NHL level. It's how he plays trying to set everyone up first creatively rather than shoot. I may take exception soon if he gets scapegoated as the only skater with cheap turnovers though. Did anyone chastise McCabe for turning it over ahead of the horseshoe Hutton stick save, for example, I forget? Anyway, I didn't think E-Rod did terrible with the TOI given though, just not enough true chances created, but he's not an impact player, so I'm trying not to be too critical of him filling in.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying we need to give Sam a Jack Eichel-like contract, but I would love to get him on a 6x6 deal.

Sam is not going to drive play on his own, or live up to the #2 overall pick hype. He'll make the occasional elite play (like the breakout pass to Skinner the previous game that led to Marco's goal), and rack up points as the "ghost" on our 1st line. That's still a player I want to have on the team long term.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'll entertain Reinhart at center when I actually see it again. If you meant with Mittelstadt, I wouldn't argue with trying that. I expect the cheap giveaways he makes since they're developing him at the NHL level. It's how he plays trying to set everyone up first creatively rather than shoot. I may take exception soon if he gets scapegoated as the only skater with cheap turnovers though. Did anyone chastise McCabe for turning it over ahead of the horseshoe Hutton stick save, for example, I forget? Anyway, I didn't think E-Rod did terrible with the TOI given though, just not enough true chances created, but he's not an impact player, so I'm trying not to be too critical of him filling in.

What I meant was this

Skinner/Erod/Sam
Thompson/Sobotka/Pommer
Sheary/Mitts/XXX
Smith/Larsson/Okposo

Have Skinner and Sam double shift with Mitts and just leave Erod as their center but thats the only shift he gets. You keep the lines intact from the start of the game but you get more ice time for your top two offensive players after Jack.

I’m not dumping on Erod. I’m dumping on Phil for his use of him. Erod is a serviceable depth player who Phil is in love with. That’s the case with Sobotka as well. IMO they both play more than they should every night. Tonight was an extreme case as it pertains to Erod. But that instinct Phil has to go to his favorites like this is not a good one.

Reactions: Fearnot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad