Half-Assed GDT: Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Are we sure we really want to deal Allen? He’s a darn good 1B. Good enough to push Binny and to step in when needed. Don’t want him as starter, but he is talented enough that you can ride him when he is on. No way I want to put that on Husso at this point.

Unfortunate circumstance to hopefully re-signing Pietrangelo. If anything though, maybe a strong playoff performance by him after a really good year might net us a better return than expected.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Husso is 25 and not exactly setting AHL on fire. I ain’t making plans around him.

Binnington was 25 and was bypassed by Husso, to the point they loaned him to the Bruins' AHL affiliate. He was comparable to Husso in AHL performance relative to work load, though Husso had 1 down season.

Reactions: Bendak

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
if petro is to be resigned, allen and either bozak or steen will HAVE to be moved. that is ofcourse assuming they want to resign dunn.

you could of course trade both steen and bozak instead of allen instead but that creates alot of depth issues.

i would love nothing more than to see allen carry us to a cup and increase his trade value

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It sounds cool to say but you cant force steen to walk away from his contract next season even if we want him to retire ourselves.
If he will waive NTC glad to trade him, but I doubt he wants to go anywhere. Heck, maybe he has developed equipment allergy. He has been great Blue for a long time. I expect he will work with us.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Binnington didn't force the issue last season, either. Chad Johnson being Chad Johnson, combined with the Blues bad start to the season, led to Binnington's promotion + taking the reigns from Allen.
But that was oh crap we got nothing else to try. This is different. Have 2 good goalies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Binnington was 25 and was bypassed by Husso, to the point they loaned him to the Bruins' AHL affiliate. He was comparable to Husso in AHL performance relative to work load, though Husso had 1 down season.
Binnington certainly an outlier. But that season in Providence really turned him around.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
But that was oh crap we got nothing else to try. This is different. Have 2 good goalies.

For now. Allen likely will not be in St. Louis after next season one way or another. The only way he is back is if Binnington becomes a pumpkin.

And if Binnington did become a pumpkin, I'd still would want to move on from Allen. I think the Blues lack of a true #1 goalie hindered them from contending in the POs for at least 3-4 seasons (flip flopping between Halak and Elliott, trading for Miller by not having faith in Elliott, flip flopping from Elliott to Allen).

Reactions: Bendak and Blueston

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
biggest problem with allen has always been mental. with no fans in attendance, he could really thrive in these playoffs.

i hope he wins a cup for us and thats a good send off.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
For now. Allen likely will not be in St. Louis after next season one way or another. The only way he is back is if Binnington becomes a pumpkin.

And if Binnington did become a pumpkin, I'd still would want to move on from Allen. I think the Blues lack of a true #1 goalie hindered them from contending in the POs for at least 3-4 seasons (flip flopping between Halak and Elliott, trading for Miller by not having faith in Elliott, flip flopping from Elliott to Allen).
I’m not saying extend him at current $. Just suggesting that I would rather keep him for next year over Bozo and Steen.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
biggest problem with allen has always been mental. with no fans in attendance, he could really thrive in these playoffs.

i hope he wins a cup for us and thats a good send off.

I think a lot of flak that Allen gets is that Armstrong traded Bishop instead of him, and as a result, he has to deal with those expectations fairly or unfairly.

Bishop is clearly a better goalie, but Allen isn't a bad goalie. He's a good tandem goalie.

ETA: Armstrong was also in a position in which he had to pretty much make a decision between Bishop, Allen, Halak, and Elliott. Elliott was making pennies and playing his best season, Halak was still under contract for a few more season. Bishop was going to be lost in FA if Elliott or Halak wasn't moved and Allen needed playing time.

I’m not saying extend him at current $. Just suggesting that I would rather keep him for next year over Bozo and Steen.

I'd prefer keeping Bozak as he still has use and seems to have good chemistry with Thomas which appears to be helping his development.

Reactions: Bendak and mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad