Half-Assed GDT: Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Starting goaltender decisions will be interesting for both teams on the back to back. Allen was great and definitely earned another night in net, but on a back to back do you go back to Binnington? And Binnington also has something to prove as our number 1 during the season.

For the Canucks, do they turn to Demko who is a good young up and coming goaltender? Or do they continue to ride Markstrom after a long game last night?

Reactions: Bendak

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Unless Tarasenko is going to show some intensity he can just sit his ass in the pressbox. If they do put him back in I think they should play him on the 4th line and remind him what the fringe guys go through just to get in a game.

Reactions: Bendak and HighNote

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Tarasenko is useless

also i love what de la rose brings to the bottom 6, hes earned games, hes constantly cutting passing lanes and forcing plays out

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
Allen deserves it, its back to back, Binner in theory should start but Allen earned it... Tough call right there. Beside that, I keep everything the same. Colton better have a better game tonight... he looked terrible.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If Tarasenko comes in, Kyrou should absolutely no be the player to come out. If Tarasenko or Steen is capable of playing I would roll these lines

Schwartz - O'Reilly - Perron
Schenn - Bozak - Kyrou
Sanford - Thomas - Tarasenko
Steen - Sunqvist - Blais

If Tarasenko can play, I think the third line minutes are best suited for him until he gets his game back. He's certainly been struggling coming off that shoulder surgery is playing just about how I expected as it it matches the last time he started a season after shoulder surgery, but I still would rather have him in the lineup at reduced minutes because as soon as he finds his game again he becomes a threat again for other teams.

Right now the biggest pick up will be getting Barbashev back in the next game

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Can we play like yesterday with special teams that are just average?
If we had an average PK in this series they would have ~3 fewer goals and if we had an average PP we would have ~1 more, as hard as that last part is to believe. That is a four goal swing in just three games, or enough to turn this series from being down 2-1 to being up 2-1. They have to get better in both, and preferably stay out of the box altogether.

Reactions: Bendak and mk80

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
What I want tonight: A convincing Blues win, where we dominate the game and demoralize the Canucks both with the score and physicality.
What will probably happen: A close 1 goal back and forth game that likely goes to OT, leading to more grey hair and weakening of my heart.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Allen played great last night, but I still think they should go back to Binny tonight. If it wasn’t a back to back, maaaaybe I’d feel differently, but there’s no reason not to get a fresh tendy in there. Markstrom saw a lot of rubber last night, hopefully he’s a bit tired.

the forwards really haven’t played that bad this series. Schwartz especially has come to compete. If they clean up the D like they did last night I wouldn’t be surprised if they start going in a run here.

Reactions: Bendak and mk80

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Tarasenko paired up with Thomas maybe lethal
People keep saying this, but in order for it to be lethal, Tarasenko will need to show some type of competitiveness to get open, back-check, and occasionally assist his linemates on the forecheck/other boardplay, or it’ll be more one-and-done’s/playing in their own end the entire time. I understand he’s coming off injury, but it’s the postseason and he has to be willing to battle away from the puck.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
People keep saying this, but in order for it to be lethal, Tarasenko will need to show some type of competitiveness to get open, back-check, and occasionally assist his linemates on the forecheck/other boardplay, or it’ll be more one-and-done’s/playing in their own end the entire time. I understand he’s coming off injury, but it’s the postseason and he has to be willing to battle away from the puck.
You're right.

Tarasenko's shot is nice and all, but how useful is it if you're not in a position for it to be lethal? When Tarasenko is skating hard and putting in the effort to forecheck and backcheck like everyone else, then watch out, because he's elite and getting the puck to open ice with a nice move and burying one. But the skating has to come first, otherwise it's going to be a lot of bad-angle shots or pucks into legs.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Unless Tarasenko is going to show some intensity he can just sit his ass in the pressbox. If they do put him back in I think they should play him on the 4th line and remind him what the fringe guys go through just to get in a game.

This is something that really bothers me. When he came back from surgery a couple years ago, he was back-checking, contributing to defense because he knew he couldn't do shit offensively. I don't see the same mentality in him this time around. He's just been floating around with the rare attempt at a hit or shot that doesn't work out at all. He can't handle the puck at all, and his shot doesn't have remotely close to the same threat. I would bet everything I have on him being terrified that something goes wrong with his shoulder if he doesn't do something just right because i've been in the same position ( not to the extent that he is, but i've had the same surgery and the shoulder has never been the same). I'm 100% on board with planting his ass in the press box unless he's ready to lay everything on the line.

One of the biggest criticisms I have always had is Tarasenkos lack of desire to expand his game from what got him here. He doesn't have a one-timer, and has never worked to add it. I thought he added to his all-around game with coming back from the first surgery, but that has faded with time. We aren't a team that is really built around scoring off the rush where he has most of his chances, so he is pretty limited in his capacity to be an overall effective player on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->