GDT: Game 4: Washinton Vs Pittsburgh 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Wait are we not calling for Rutherford's head anymore?

Well when you look at this team in back before the Sprong for Pettersson deal in tbe middle of the 2018-19 season and look at it now Rutherford has done an amazing job. I will bold all the new players Rutherford added to surround the core with a younger, faster, and more skilled group in just 2 years time.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker
-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Jankowski-Tanev
Rodriguez-
Blueger-Scevior

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Riikola/Matheson-Ceci/
Ruhwedel

Of course Blueger is new to the team also but he was in the system already and the bolded are adds from Rutherford.
Two forwards fast and in primes added to the top 6. Some complain about the price but all use 1st round picks and prospects for players like that with term and in primes any day. I hated doing it for rentals and or aging veterans like Shero did many times. You go all in for that season and then have nothing left for your picks and prospects. Getting your young 2nd pairing in Pettersson and Marino for Sprong and a 6th! If we drafted two defenseman in the 1st round I would be happy if they developed into those two. It doesn't matter if you draft your prospects and develop them or trade for developed ones as long as you add youth to the lineup.

Bottom line is Rutherford has done a nice job adding tons of players that are young and in primes with speed and skill. If this team doesn't do well it won't be Rutherford's fault but the core. So far this season it is our core letting the team down. Rutherford might not of done perfect during this transition but I like how Rutherford improved this team and also traded for POJ and getting O'Connor, Lee, and Maniscalco for free to help add to the prospect pool. So while our prospect pool might not be up to some other teams that is because we used those assets for Zucker, Kapanen, McCann, Marino, and Pettersson that we can use now. Smart move because many 1st round picks and prospects will never turn out near as good as these players. Many more Sprongs, Boe Bennett, and Poulin's than players equal to a Zucker, Kapanen, Marino, or even a McCann.

The thing that jumps out to me most with those bolded players are that all the best moves improved the top 6, 3rd line, and 2nd pairing defense pairing which are the most important spots compared to his not so good moves that are either 4th liner or 3rd pairing or backup defenseman.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Go Pens. Get another W.

You gotta get as many wins as you can before Matheson comes back.

EsteemedBlindDesertpupfish-small.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If the capitals still had Nisky they could basically ice an entire line of ex-penguins.... against the penguins...

I'd do it if I were coach....... just because it would be possible.... and hilarious!

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
All three of those players need to play better but giveaways is a garbage statistic.

One of those 3 players has lead the team in giveaways every single season since 2011-2012.

Yeah they have the puck more than anyone else and are the ones on the team with the most license to make some risky plays.

Reactions: Andy99

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Jankowski-Tanev
Rodrigues-Blueger-Sceviour

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Riikola-Ruhwedel

DeSmith
Jarry

See? Not saying this is a Cup-level talented roster , but it’s not nearly as bad as what we’re seeing. Hoping it comes together. LGP.
Completely agree... on paper.

The problem is the bolded guys, who are our core, have not come out great.
  • Crosby/Malkin/Letang - all 3 look disinterested and lazy. And given their age, I have my doubts that we ever seen any of them back at their superstar levels for extend stretches. Sure, they'll each have some games where they shine, but the days of relying on them to carry us to long winning streaks, or heck, winning a playoff series are behind them
  • Dumolin - has been abysmal. I know it's only been 3 games, but he has absolutely fallen off a cliff compared to the level he's been playing the past 2-3 years. Sure he could turn it around, but he was never a true superstar, and I personally think he overperformed the past couple years. I'd be surprised to see him return to peak form as well.
  • Marino - I have much more optimism for him. Yes, he had a horrible game against the Caps. Hopefully it was just an off night. I do have two concerns though. The last time I felt this good about a young and upcoming D-man for the Pens was... Maatta :facepalm:. I know they play different games, but the hype and promise surrounding Maatta through his first couple seasons was very similar to that of Marino last year. I'd like to chalk Maatta's decline up to cancer, and will hold out hope the Marino's game doesn't drop off like Maatta's did. My other concern is the attitude. The Caps game was the first time I've seen Marino play lazy/disinterested like some of the previously mentioned vets above. I hope he can maintain the hunger and drive of a young kid trying to make the big leagues, and not absorb the attitudes of the tired veterans who don't seem to give a rat's ass at the moment
  • Jarry - he shocked me with how well he played last year. I remain hopeful he just needs a few games to knock off the rust and can return to that level of play. And it's only been ~3.5 periods for him. Don't want to overreact too much to this one just yet.
Of course, other guys deserve to be criticized as well. I just wanted to point out the ones who put fear into their opponents on paper, but not so much on the ice at the moment.

EDIT: if this were the New England Patriots, Letang would have been traded 3 years ago, Malkin would have been traded 1-2 years ago, and Sid potentially traded this year or next. I'm not advocating for all of that, just trying to point out the difference between a really successful decade (Pens) to a dynastic two decades (Patriots)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Waiting for the Kap demotion after the first few shifts with Sid.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
All three of those players need to play better but giveaways is a garbage statistic.

One of those 3 players has lead the team in giveaways every single season since 2011-2012.

if you have the puck more, you’ll have more giveaways...truth...it’s actually a good stat, just like hits is a bad one...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jake has to get better and I think he played better with Malkin at LW. Zucker to me has that extra gear and with Kaps speed, those are two fast forwards who can open ice for Sid. Geno's game is not the same as Sid as Geno needs another good puck possession guy to play off Malkin. Jake can do that.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Jake has to get better and I think he played better with Malkin at LW. Zucker to me has that extra gear and with Kaps speed, those are two fast forwards who can open ice for Sid. Geno's game is not the same as Sid as Geno needs another good puck possession guy to play off Malkin. Jake can do that.

Malkin just needs to play better he can work with both kinds.

Jake looked better last game. Shoulder confidence would have taken quite the hit (no pun intended).

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Man the Pens PR is abusing this "Is it hockey time yet?!" We've had games every other day. Eventually i'm going to be like "We are playing AGAIN?"

And wtf is f'fth season.

Fifth season is just advertising food or something (vertical farming)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Jake looked better last game. Shoulder confidence would have taken quite the hit (no pun intended).

Yeah, assuming he’s physically right again, I think people need to be patient with him trusting his shoulder and not worrying about another injury. If there’s one player to be patient with it’s the one returning from what sounded like a traumatic injury and 4 games in a year.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad