GDT: GAME 4: San Jose @ Nashville 5PM Pacific

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Officially worst team in the league aww yisssss

giphy.gif
darrenskate.gif

At least we won't be accused of choking. Oh wait... it's the Shorks, of course we will.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
We honestly played pretty well.

Other than the Ducks we've played two contenders in Vegas and Nashville. Even the Ducks are 3-0 and might not be as bad as people think. The Sharks played like trash the first 3 games but playing against Fleury, Gibson, and Rinne doesn't really help when you're struggling to score. If we can't score against Chicago then it's time to jump off a bridge.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
One silver lining note: Every non-ppg (or ENG) against we have surrendered has been off the rush or from a turnover. It's pretty clear what we need to clean up

Reactions: KarlssonsGroin

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
One silver lining note: Every non-ppg (or ENG) against we have surrendered has been off the rush or from a turnover. It's pretty clear what we need to clean up
Interesting. Those issues sound eerily similar to what plagued the team last year. It feels like a competent coaching staff would have addressed those issues with their system during the offseason and then corrected them prior to the new season. Maybe that’s asking too much or being unrealistic.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Interesting. Those issues sound eerily similar to what plagued the team last year. It feels like a competent coaching staff would have addressed those issues with their system during the offseason and then corrected them prior to the new season. Maybe that’s asking too much or being unrealistic.

I see your point but systems can't eliminate turnovers, only reduce the risk. Forsberg's goal today wasnt a system-based turnover, nor was Getzlaf's the other night.

I dont have access to game film or anything beyond publicly available highlights, so i'm really vexed why Sharks turnovers almost always lead to odd-man rushes. That for sure is a system issue, but i can't pinpoint where the problem is

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I see your point but systems can't eliminate turnovers, only reduce the risk. Forsberg's goal today wasnt a system-based turnover, nor was Getzlaf's the other night.

I dont have access to game film or anything beyond publicly available highlights, so i'm really vexed why Sharks turnovers almost always lead to odd-man rushes. That for sure is a system issue, but i can't pinpoint where the problem is

A lot of it just seems like trying to do too much. Forcing passes through tons of guys, trying to dangle through 2 defenders, stuff like that.

I will say today was a lot better though. First time in the season so far where the Sharks were actually able to sustain pressure and create good chances.

Reactions: Phu

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
A lot of it just seems like trying to do too much. Forcing passes through tons of guys, trying to dangle through 2 defenders, stuff like that.

I will say today was a lot better though. First time in the season so far where the Sharks were actually able to sustain pressure and create good chances.

Probably also has something to do with the fact that our D lead the rush instead of a forward.

I could only watch chunks of the game, but the start of the third before Turris scored was awesome playing. Hertl just dominated behind the net, team was supporting each other, Karlsson was creating space, Radil forced a turnover. I'm ready for them to get back to dump and grind hockey.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Probably also has something to do with the fact that our D lead the rush instead of a forward.

I could only watch chunks of the game, but the start of the third before Turris scored was awesome playing. Hertl just dominated behind the net, team was supporting each other, Karlsson was creating space, Radil forced a turnover. I'm ready for them to get back to dump and grind hockey.

In that span, their forecheck was much more aggressive, which is something this team needs to do on a more consistent basis. Oftentimes they dump and chase without really chasing or putting any sort of pressure on the defense, and of course, it goes the other way. One of the nice things about having Kane back was his willingness to finish checks and force the other team to make decisions quicker.

Whether that's all up to system or just hesitation/rust is up for debate, but I personally think it's the latter. I do think PDB needs to be harder on the guys about playing more aggressive -- not necessarily more risky, as in offense, but generally giving the other team less space to work with before they can break the puck out.

Reactions: tiburon12

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I guess I’m not surprised. We played terrible regular season hockey for the last few months last season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
DW didnt give 1 mill to labanc and let pavs walk to trust the kids. Some kinda deal fell through imo.

Yah, i think that's likely.

Even without the Labanc deal, which itself was an obvious indicator, a contending team like the Sharks just don't let guys walk in the off-season and do nothing to address it without having some blue chip guys in the system. I don't think anyone the organization was realistically expecting these kids to turn into big time difference makers this year, or at least i hope so.

I think DW was trying all summer to get something done, most likely looked at more than just one thing, but stuff just never materialized. And it's not hard to see why. Sharks don't have the best of assets meaning they have to be careful what to spend, and pretty much every team ended up being close to the cap thinking they have a chance to do something this year. Good example is Kreider, once the Rangers figured out they can make it work cap-wise there was no reason to trade him before the season, especially if the Sharks were unwilling to pay a premium.

Even if you look at it now, let's say the Sharks were willing to overpay a little in terms of picks/prospects due to circumstances. Who at this time of the year is going to give up a good forward without receiving a good roster player back? Maybe the Kings with Toffoli, but is that the type of player you want to pay the price for, probably not.

That's why i think the plan turned into "well, we just have to put ourselves in a playoff position with what we have and bolster the team later in the season". It's why they saved some cap space.

Obviously opens up the door for a possible horror scenario though.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Our breakout is chipping it off the glass or turning it over in the middle of the ice to teams that actually plug up the neutral zone

Reactions: Sandisfan

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I got $10 on Marleau getting a point at least.

A tenner for donuts for the office.

* The Marleau-for-the-Masterton campaign begins! *

Reactions: Phu

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
i dono man, we lead the league in short handed goals.
against.

there as a sequence last night where we almost got another one.

May favourite part of that sequence was when it seemed like the Preds had the man advantage and were getting to every loose puck.
Where were the Sharks players? Just casually going for a line change? Waiting outside the zone for the breakout? It was frustrating to watch.

The issues is definitely turnovers - but turnovers happen. My problem is that we have the D so high up, that when the turnover happens there is little opportunity to defend the play.

And Jones needs to get his shit together. He can play - we've seen he can - but he is fundamentally bad now.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->