GDT: Game 4: Predators at Blues 1/24/13 at 7:00 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
I agree that Schwartz got manhandled a little too much last night, but I'm not ready to send him back to the ahl. The preds are a big team. Jaden needs to play a little more like Mcdonald' speed/elusive game vs Stewart and Berglund's power game. Adjustments will be made.
I'm pullin for the kid to do great things with this team, I just gotta wonder if one more year & some lbs added might serve him better long term. Sometimes a young guy in this situation burn out physically and mentally & I'd hate to see that happen to him

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
I'm pullin for the kid to do great things with this team, I just gotta wonder if one more year & some lbs added might serve him better long term. Sometimes a young guy in this situation burn out physically and mentally & I'd hate to see that happen to him

I was thinking the same thing. You can see the great talent he has, just wish he was a little bit stronger. either way i am sure the blues management will do what they feel is best for the team. Exciting time to be a blues fan! LETS GO BLUES!!

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis

I think he might just need a few more practices with the team. Maybe sit him for a game, but I think you might do just as much damage (to his confidence) sending him to the ahl.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
I liked Redden's game a lot. He seemed more eager to sacrifice himself to push the play forward than any of our other D, including Jackman.

This may have been the best game the blues have played this year.

It's a shame we dont have a game against chicago until the end of Feb. I bet that ends up being one of the best games of the season.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Schwartz will always have times he gets overpowered just as AMac does due to their size. He has shown to be responsible in all zones and sees the ice well. He made an excellent pass off the boards to Berglund that sent him in resulting in the penalty shot. The season is young and so is Schwartz.

Use the Schwartz*

Tarasenko with another awesome game. Dangerous everytime he touches the puck.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Schwartz will always have times he gets overpowered just as AMac does due to their size. He has shown to be responsible in all zones and sees the ice well. He made an excellent pass off the boards to Berglund that sent him in resulting in the penalty shot. The season is young and so is Schwartz.

I agree. I can't say I have any problem with his game this year. In the span since last year, Schwartz has really upped his defensive game. While he isn't going to play much more than 10-14 minutes, it will be a good learning curve for him. I really don't expect much at all from him in his rookie year. If he scores 15 points total, then I would be ecstatic. He can take his bruises and learn a few tricks to avert being pushed around. He seems to have a pretty good center of gravity and doesn't get knocked on his seat too much. I'm impressed so far.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
They would have wanted Stewart and Tarasenko/Schwartz...Too high of a price if it's Tarasenko.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I agree. I can't say I have any problem with his game this year. In the span since last year, Schwartz has really upped his defensive game. While he isn't going to play much more than 10-14 minutes, it will be a good learning curve for him. I really don't expect much at all from him in his rookie year. If he scores 15 points total, then I would be ecstatic. He can take his bruises and learn a few tricks to avert being pushed around. He seems to have a pretty good center of gravity and doesn't get knocked on his seat too much. I'm impressed so far.

Yeah, I was quite skeptical of Schwartz being on the Blues this year due to his pretty bleh in his stint with the Blues last season. But he seemed to have a great offseason, I think he definitely put on some weight and looks faster now. Going from the AHL to the NHL is also a much easier transition than the NCAA to the NHL.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Russell>>Cole. Russel/Polak>>>>>Cole/Polak Our third d pairing is set.
I don't see how Russell is sooo much better than Cole besides the fact that he's faster. But what else is he better at? He's not. And Russell has already topped out, Cole can still get better. I'd sit Russell too, but Hitchcock won't.

I'd be willing to bet Cole would put up more points than Russell while becoming a better defensive player as well.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
wow. The current top post on there is titled

"Is there anyone here who isn't panicking?"

I get the feeling that Nashville fans aren't taking this too well.

Someone suggested we move the team to Canada. A Preds fan. Who lives in Nashville.

People are freaking out.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think people are criticizing Schwartz where there really isn't a criticism to be made. If you see Backes get muscled off a puck, well, good defensive play; if you see Stewart get muscled off a puck, oh, he's lazy or soft; if you see Schwartz muscled off a puck, he needs to be demoted and hit the gym. The dude wins puck battles that he has no right winning if that were true.

The reality is that because of his quickness, skill, and size, he is able to squeeze around a guy or in a scrum where a larger player just cannot go. As a result, he's involved in puck battles that most other players cannot be a part of. As a result, he gets pinned and trapped, especially behind the opposing net, but I have yet to see such a situation hurt the Blues - it actually tends to buy them time because someone else wouldn't or couldn't have darted in and forced the opposition to defend like that.

Watch last night's game. He had a big hit to begin the game that really put a guy on his ass. He had multiple really good defensive plays that he only pulled off because of his balance and strength - one play in particular behind the Blues' net.

Does he get shoved around at times because of his size? Sure. But that's also partly because of his inexperience. Just don't assume that every time he gets shoved around, it's because of his size. The NHL is filled with good, strong players who will do that against nearly everyone. And more often than not, when Schwartz does get shoved around, it's because he's paying the price to make a play, not simply being manhandled because he can't contend.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I agree. Schwartz has impressed me with his play so far this season. He's done a lot of little things that I'm just not used to seeing from rookies. He would have a bigger role on many teams, but this team is so deep with talented and well-rounded forwards that it's really hard to earn situational minutes.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
Schawtz has played pretty damned physical in every game this year. He's made a bunch of fairly large hits including one against Gill where he knocked him down. The point is he's not afraid to go to the hard places to make plays. He's doing fine even if he get muscled off the puck here and there.

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
I think people are criticizing Schwartz where there really isn't a criticism to be made. If you see Backes get muscled off a puck, well, good defensive play; if you see Stewart get muscled off a puck, oh, he's lazy or soft; if you see Schwartz muscled off a puck, he needs to be demoted and hit the gym. The dude wins puck battles that he has no right winning if that were true.

The reality is that because of his quickness, skill, and size, he is able to squeeze around a guy or in a scrum where a larger player just cannot go. As a result, he's involved in puck battles that most other players cannot be a part of. As a result, he gets pinned and trapped, especially behind the opposing net, but I have yet to see such a situation hurt the Blues - it actually tends to buy them time because someone else wouldn't or couldn't have darted in and forced the opposition to defend like that.

Watch last night's game. He had a big hit to begin the game that really put a guy on his ass. He had multiple really good defensive plays that he only pulled off because of his balance and strength - one play in particular behind the Blues' net.

Does he get shoved around at times because of his size? Sure. But that's also partly because of his inexperience. Just don't assume that every time he gets shoved around, it's because of his size. The NHL is filled with good, strong players who will do that against nearly everyone. And more often than not, when Schwartz does get shoved around, it's because he's paying the price to make a play, not simply being manhandled because he can't contend.
wrong word to use, I don't see anyone pickin the kid apart, I only speak for myself, but I really like the kid & with just how stacked we are, if he has trouble keepin up, who does it harm?? To me it harms the kid. that's all.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
wrong word to use, I don't see anyone pickin the kid apart, I only speak for myself, but I really like the kid & with just how stacked we are, if he has trouble keepin up, who does it harm?? To me it harms the kid. that's all.

I don't think you and I are watching the same #9 out there. He's been solid, and avoiding most of the types of mental mistakes that rookies often make. He's most certainly earned his spot in the line-up, and has done nothing that would jeopardize it to this point.

Its a great time for the Blues to have 2 high-end rookies playing, and not to be 'rebuilding'. These guys are ready to play in the NHL (talking about Frank and Schwartz.)

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
I don't think you and I are watching the same #9 out there. He's been solid, and avoiding most of the types of mental mistakes that rookies often make. He's most certainly earned his spot in the line-up, and has done nothing that would jeopardize it to this point.

Its a great time for the Blues to have 2 high-end rookies playing, and not to be 'rebuilding'. These guys are ready to play in the NHL (talking about Frank and Schwartz.)
Ya know I hope I am seeing it wrong, time will tell, but from three feet away, its kinda hard not to be seeing the game clearly ;) I hope he freakin wins the calder! Been watchin him for some time now, the kid has the heart of a Steve Yzerman type player, only time will tell, but damn I sure hope I am wrong :)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Ya know I hope I am seeing it wrong, time will tell, but from three feet away, its kinda hard not to be seeing the game clearly ;) I hope he freakin wins the calder! Been watchin him for some time now, the kid has the heart of a Steve Yzerman type player, only time will tell, but damn I sure hope I am wrong :)

Well, Hitchcock disagrees with you (from his recent quotes on Schwartz) so I'm not sure having great seats is enough credibility to persuade me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad