GDT: Game 4: Phoenix Coyotes @ Detroit Red Wings - 10-10-13 | 4:30 PM Arizona Time

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Hell of a game. The whole team played solid hockey. I really like Stone, too.

Any ideas on what Yandle, Riberio, and Doan were giving the refs a hard time about after the buzzer?

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Thank god!! Good to see a solid game out of all lines. Love the game Chipchura brings

Solid game all around. Defence looked good tonight and the work ethic was there. That late powerplay was a nice change as well, good movement and in control.

Boedker had some great hustle. Not a fan of Ribeiro on the wing though, still would like to pick up some forward help and rejig the lines a bit. Vermette, Doan and Boedker looked good together tonight though.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Solid game all around. Defence looked good tonight and the work ethic was there. That late powerplay was a nice change as well, good movement and in control.

Boedker had some great hustle. Not a fan of Ribeiro on the wing though, still would like to pick up some forward help and rejig the lines a bit. Vermette, Doan and Boedker looked good together tonight though.

I've always liked Vermette, Doan, and Boedker on a line.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
We all get a little bit of fresh air for now... Now let's get another one.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
I've always liked Vermette, Doan, and Boedker on a line.

Me too, they were great together in the big playoff run; but not so great last season for whatever reason. It was good to see a nice rebound from them as a unit, it will interesting to see how Tip configures things for tomorrow.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
ot a fan of Ribeiro on the wing though, still would like to pick up some forward help and rejig the lines a bit. Vermette, Doan and Boedker looked good together tonight though.

I have a feeling this is coming. Perhaps it was a good thing we got blown out in twice. Shows that the team isn't there yet to GMDM. They looked solid tonight but this type of team isn't a contender. Add Erat or a true top 6 and who knows.

Any thoughts on Kennedy? I didn't notice him too much, but did notice the 4th line looked energetic and were creating chances.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Tuned in during the 2nd period and caught the 3 goals in 2 minutes, then had to run out. Came back for the 3rd period for the win. I see Tippet read my post-game suggestions after the Isles game:

Hanzal and Vrbata are the only guys capable of executing skill plays in Tips system. Hanzal makes room and takes everyones eyes off Vrbata, if only we had a slick playmaker to stick with them. I know moving ribs to LW would leave us short down the middle but I'd love to see him play with some room to create. Watching him go into the corner and cycle with Doan and Boedker/Korpi is just brutal.
You know who was born to cycle with Doan and Boedker? Vermette. Open-ice is the guys worst enemy, he seems happiest sliding on his knees hacking at the puck. Doan and Boedker seem to have better luck waiting for the puck to pop free from one of his headlong crashes into the boards, rather then trying to find open ice to finish a skill play.
I'd be fine with those two units as first and second line power play, OEL/Rundblad with the Czechs and Yandle/Morris with Doan's unit.
On the bottom six, Chipchura seems to work better with Klinkhammer and Moss than Vermette has. Those three actually seem to have the best awareness of where their team mates are after the Hanzal-Vrbata connection. Of course scoring is limited to a ten foot radius of the net, but when they're on, they have some great possessions down low.

Ha-ha! Changing my avatar to a broken clock.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
I'm not sure if that's a long term solution though, and like I said, I think it's clear that vermette boedker and doan works, so it's going to be interesting. I almost wish they'd have signed a winger in the offseason and kept boyd gordon.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
I have a feeling this is coming. Perhaps it was a good thing we got blown out in twice. Shows that the team isn't there yet to GMDM. They looked solid tonight but this type of team isn't a contender. Add Erat or a true top 6 and who knows.

Any thoughts on Kennedy? I didn't notice him too much, but did notice the 4th line looked energetic and were creating chances.

Those were my thoughts on Kennedy, energetic and created chances and no big defensive gaffes, pretty much what you would ask for from a 4th line.

I do hope more offensive help is coming. Seeing the effort tonight was great and seeing many of the players looking more like themselves; but I still feel the same as I did earlier today: this offense still needs more help.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Tuned in during the 2nd period and caught the 3 goals in 2 minutes, then had to run out. Came back for the 3rd period for the win. I see Tippet read my post-game suggestions after the Isles game:

Damn. You called it. Nice man.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV

Quick, go buy a lottery ticket who knows how long this clairvoyance will last! You called that almost exactly, great analysis

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Much better game, less turnovers, better forecheck, Smith was great, Dmo and Klesla helped, less penalties, coyote hockey. I think Tip went with what he considers his 6 best forwards in the top 6, likely why we saw Kennedy (center) versus Yip.

Numminen

Aug 23, 2012
Damn, missed the game. This one would have been early for me (1:30am), usually the yotes play at 5am or so. I live in the wrong country.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Top 6 lines for tonight are

Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Ribeiro-Hanzal-Vrbata

One of us suggested Ribeiro with the Czechs in another thread, I don't remember who though.

Coming late but......

I said it....

I said Vrby needed a set up man and Hanzal wasn't it. Ribz was the only guy on the current roster who could fill that role. If GMDM makes a move for another top 6 that's what he'll be shopping for.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Can't believe we let up a breakaway to Zetterburg 1 minute into the game. He ended up hitting the crossbar, but it's the same crap we've done the last 3 games straight.

That was Morris' fault. He got caught too far up the ice.

But he more than made up for it the next time down. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad