GDT: Game 4 - Oilers @ Blackhawks 7:30 PM (CT) NBCSCH/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
maybe I am overreacting to the goalie thing, just seems odd to have not heard JC say anything that I can recall about the tandem..that is odd, no?? for a team like this, we can't piss away games early on, so if Crow is struggling and Lehner looks decent I don't get why JC is putting Crow out there again and why he isn't saying that whoever plays the best gets the net more..almost like this is Crow's net right now...good or bad..

Right before the season he was asked if it would be a 50/50 split. He said if there is any reason to play one more often than the other, he’ll do that. So we can only guess why Crow has the net right now, but there is surely a reason for it whether he needs game time to get going, someone is in his ear to play Crow right now or whatever else it could be.

Reactions: AmericanDream

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Right before the season he was asked if it would be a 50/50 split. He said if there is any reason to play one more often than the other, he’ll do that. So we can only guess why Crow has the net right now, but there is surely a reason for it whether he needs game time to get going, someone is in his ear to play Crow right now or whatever else it could be.

ya I think he getting pressure to play Crow to be honest, no reason to think that other than my gut though.

Lehner has been far better than crow thus far....

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
ya I think he getting pressure to play Crow to be honest, no reason to think that other than my gut though.

Lehner has been far better than crow thus far....

For sure, everything points to Lehner being the better goalie. Hopefully they start rolling with him as the starter if Crow can’t match his performance level. The difference between making the playoffs and missing could easily come down to Lehner not starting often enough. Right now though, there is still plenty of runway for him to get his 55-60 starts. If things continue like this all month, then yeah, it becomes a problem.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
For sure, everything points to Lehner being the better goalie. Hopefully they start rolling with him as the starter if Crow can’t match his performance level. The difference between making the playoffs and missing could easily come down to Lehner not starting often enough. Right now though, there is still plenty of runway for him to get his 55-60 starts. If things continue like this all month, then yeah, it becomes a problem.

I would have started Lehner, too, don't get me wrong. He looked better than Crawford and had decent enough numbers to warrant another start.

But at this point he's not the difference between playoffs and not IMHO. The team D is just that bad. Lehner could try to steal it but unfortunately the skaters will give it right back.

To make the playoffs at this point my money is on nothing less than a 4'x6' cinderblock wall.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
My thoughts on the lineup:

-I have no problem giving Crow the start. He knows he had a shaky outing the last time around so he's going to be eager to prove he's still got it.
-Praise JC for getting rid of Perlini the hack.
-Some may say that Nylander on the 4th line is a waste, but I like the idea of giving Carpenter a finesse player to work with.
-I'd like to see less of Smith.
-Seabs needs to be scratched sometime soon.
-That top 6 needs to rearranged.

Reactions: d rake

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Shaw-Toews-Caggiula
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane

I think that's how the top 6 should look. It seems that Kane is trying to send a message to the coaching staff. Until he gets to play with who he wants (Cat and Strome), he's going to look disinterested so he can prove a point. Shaw, Toews, and Caggiula all play with an edge and play the same brand of hockey so they could mesh together really well.

Reactions: Cowch and wahsnairb

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
With the Minny win today (2-0 over Ottawa)....only 2 NHL teams have no wins...NJ and Chicago
...NJ lostxagain today and Generational Jack still pointless in 5 GP ...gee Captain Johnny has only 2 more games to match Hughes in futility...can he outlive the shame of that possibility of Cap'n Johnny fails tonight Nd next game to get even 1 measly point?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Ill be in attendance tonight. Been trying to see McDavid live for awhile but every time Edmonton is in town I’ve had something come up.

Can we keep this in like the three other threads where similar conversations are being had? This thread is about the game tonight and not the future outlook of the team.

I’ve seen McDavid now @ 8 times. You will be in for a treat. It’s unbelievable how fast he is live

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah one was me, big L on my part. If you were expecting this then good on you, Ive never seen him finish all his checks so consistently like he's done so far.

Gotta love it :D
I just saw him play outside of the highlights and the dude was aggressive and active with his body..he did go to the net, he was buzzing out there, he threw his body around - but many only wanted to see the highlights and say he is a scorer who can't play tough as well..I am not saying he will be a Shaw type player, but the myth that this kid won't get dirty has hopefully been put to bed!!

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I just saw him play outside of the highlights and the dude was aggressive and active with his body..he did go to the net, he was buzzing out there, he threw his body around - but many only wanted to see the highlights and say he is a scorer who can't play tough as well..I am not saying he will be a Shaw type player, but the myth that this kid won't get dirty has hopefully been put to bed!!

To be clear I watched all of his games at the WJC and some from last season too, but I saw much more hanging back and being that sniper rather than the board battle guy.

Super smart guy though, clearly he knows how to mix the two and be as effective as he can possibly be. Maybe the NA rink is better for him too coz he can fly and bang on the smaller surface.

Great acquisition from Stan no question, hope we keep him long term. I love that we bring in the smart ones from Eu consistently.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Shaw-Toews-Caggiula
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane

I think that's how the top 6 should look. It seems that Kane is trying to send a message to the coaching staff. Until he gets to play with who he wants (Cat and Strome), he's going to look disinterested so he can prove a point. Shaw, Toews, and Caggiula all play with an edge and play the same brand of hockey so they could mesh together really well.

But that line is so nuclear, it will give up as many goals against as it will score. I really dont see a way they can stick together (even if we 100% shelter them with ozone starts, theyre bound to be hemmed in our end) until all three get committed to defense and start making their line a defensively functioning unit.

Once again this season our scoring looks to be solid, but team defense is a problem. We arent solving that with this line (as much as I love them offensively, clearly theyre friends and have insane chemistry).

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Crawford numbers dictate he shouldn't start over Lehner. They're quite in Lehner's favor. Also, take a look at Toews underlying 5v5 defensive numbers so far. They're terrible. Same with Keith and Gus. Probably part of reason they can't hold a lead atm.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Shaw-Toews-Caggiula
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane

That 1st line is gross. Needs more skill. AKA Saad and Nylander.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
makes no sense, I think he is being pressured to start Crow and Seabrook, not sure if that would be coming from the group of players, assistant coaches or management but it is clear that JC is not icing the best team to win the game and that is supposed to be his job.

Nylander being played on the fourth line....**** me JC what are you doing?

Let's hope JC is wise enough to quickly move Nylander up if he shows some compete.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why isn't Lehner getting any games in Chicago? I thought he'd be the de-facto #1 for you guys.

corey-crawford-ap.jpg

Corey-Crawford-Chicago-Blackhawks-featured-Tasos-Katopodis-1.jpg

He's kind of earned a slight leash at the #1 gig.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Shaw-Toews-Caggiula
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane

I think we had this debate last year.

that top 6 just does not work cause then the hawks are a one trick pony, shut down the kane line and you win, we don't have enough depth to have one line loaded up and the rest are a bunch of spare parts jumbled together that make no logical sense.

Saad-Toews-Nylander
Kubalik-Shaw-Kane
Cat-Strome-?????
?????-Kampf-Carpenter

?????=Cagguila/Smith/Perlini at this point but really should be Cagguila, Kurashev and one of Sarella/Sikura IMO

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->