Game 4 - OHL All Stars Vs. Russian Selects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Didn't see a thread started for the fourth game of this series yet, so I thought I'd start one.

Another solid game, very entertaining. Some solid end to action. I thought that the OHL defense was pretty sloppy tonight, more so then in the first game. I also thought that the refeering was pretty brutal and definitely detracted from the game.

Anthony Stewart was excellent tonight in his first game of the series. He was a horse out there. I have no quams in saying that if there was an NHL season, Stewart would be there. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were again very good. Richards is just the type of player, where no matter who he plays with, offensive chances are created. He isn't flashy, but he gets the job done. His line is always moving. Richards would be my personal choice as captain of Team canada at the WJC's. Corey Perry played a better game tonight, he created a lot of chances and was all over the ice, however I still am uncertain of whether his skills will translate well to the NHL level. I guess we shall find out. BJ Crombeen really played well tonight, should give people an indication of why the Stars were so high on him in 2003. Nathan Maciver played much better tonight, after a not so impressive perfomance in the first game. Jordan Smith was very good again. I'm a fan of Jordan's, he's a tough mofo. Not sure how high his ceiling is in the NHL, but I'm fairly certain he's at least going to be a third pairing guy.

Overall I'm psyched to see how the WHL team fairs against this Russian squad. I expect the outcome to be much more lopsided then that of the OHL affiars.

Avery4Byng*

I finally watched a bit of these Russia games. The Russians seemed pretty dirty in the 2nd and 3rd. OHL dominated no questions asked. I was mostly impressed with Stewart and the way he knows how ot use his size. He is gonna be a good NHL'er.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
tray said:
I finally watched a bit of these Russia games. The Russians seemed pretty dirty in the 2nd and 3rd. OHL dominated no questions asked. I was mostly impressed with Stewart and the way he knows how ot use his size. He is gonna be a good NHL'er.
Who were the scorers tonight i worked late and missed it

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Game 4 was basically more of the same, only chippier. The OHL still outclassed the Russians, and this time you can't argue fatigue in defense of the Russian side. (Whereas you certainly could with many of the OHLers who were playing their 4th or 5th game in as many nights... though it didn't show).

Once again, Richards impressed me as the key player for the OHL. He did everything so well, and seems to be totally adaptable to any linemates he happens to play with. Anthony Stewart was the next-most impressive... he maybe didn't do as much in terms of generating chances, but his mix of size, unmatched strength, and ability to blow past the Russian D with his skating put him on an entirely different level from most junior players.

Carter and Perry at least stepped it up from their modestly disappointing performances in Game 1. Perry certainly was involved in creating a lot of offense, more inline with what he does for London. But I agree with Brock's observation about his NHL potential. He makes a lot of extra dipsy-doodles, drags the puck just a bit too long, taking advantage of the extra time he has in junior to make a play, and those things he does are definitely key to the way he puts up his points. He'll have to go through an adjustment at the pro level when he isn't afforded as much time to make his plays.

For draft-eligibles, Blunden was solid, but less noticeable than in Game 1, to my eye. I can't say that Bass did very much for me. Parent seemed to be more involved and played a strong game. I wasn't as impressed with Staal, who had greater difficulties when pressured by forecheckers. Pouliot is still the class of the OHL prospects, IMO. He showed more ownership of the office space behind the net, put himself in the right places at the right times, and never backed away from anything. In some ways, his lanky/tempo-controlling/playmaking/doesn't-back-down style reminds me of Jeff Carter. They both have the look of playmakers, but end up being scorers more than you would think. And they have similar profiles and production for their draft years. Pouliot is a bit rougher around the edges, of course, with less experience at high level competition.

Little, and Crombeen also looked good, IMHO. Little was a little less dazzling than in Game 1, but he has all the moves. Crombeen was even more effective, making more of an offensive charge this game, in addition to his usual sound physical play. Richardson was a very consistent and dynamic generator on offense too.

As for others... Hunter did his usual job of somehow managing to muck the puck around to get himself some points and set up chances for his line, while Bolland sometimes faded into the woodwork, but had a few good chances too. I still don't really have much appreciation for Wolski... he made a couple of nice passes, but didn't really seem to play with the consistent passion that most of his teammates had.

On D, they gave McIver the game star for the OHL side, particularly for his awesome 1st period, I imagine. He was a stalwart at both ends and got a lot of icetime this game. Jordan Smith is probably the other D who stood out most, in a similar manner. Smith really seems to be working on his discipline this year; it shows in his OHL league play, but it really showed last night too, when he had ample reason and opportunity to really go postal in response to the cheapshots he was taking. Last year's Jordan Smith would have dropped the gloves. Syvret, Quincey and Colbert got more of a rest this game, it seemed, or were at least less noticeable and a bit more relaxed in their zone.

Shantz basically did his job, some solid saves, but no real test here.

If I was inviting for the WJC camp, I would say:
- Perry did enough to get his invite
- Syvret's Game 1 showing did enough to earn him the chance to try out too, however impossible it might be to crack the D.
- Richards proved why he is the captain.
- Shantz will battle with Dubnyk I guess for the 18-year old goalie spot, as this game did nothing to change his status one way or the other.
- Crombeen showed enough that in other years you could imagine him on the team in the 4th line checking/energy role, but the team is probably just too stacked this year.
- Little, Pouliot, Blunden, and Parent served effective notice that they should be in the running for next year's team, all in very different roles. (While Wolski did not, although with his talent level he has to stay in the evaluation camp mix just in case). Bolland would be worthy of consideration too.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
*shrug* The QMJHL played without its best player and, in my opinion, neglected to invite its best goalie right now to their team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Matt MacInnis said:
*shrug* The QMJHL played without its best player and, in my opinion, neglected to invite its best goalie right now to their team.

oh, i don't disagree...but the Q team was still better from top to bottom. Russia had some high end...and then a HUGE dropoff.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
nomorekids said:
oh, i don't disagree...but the Q team was still better from top to bottom. Russia had some high end...and then a HUGE dropoff.

I think Ontario Hockey League team is very under-rated and were very sound in their own end. created a lot of chances. To say Q team was better from top to bottom I disagree with that.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
BuppY said:
I think Ontario Hockey League team is very under-rated and were very sound in their own end. created a lot of chances. To say Q team was better from top to bottom I disagree with that.
Me too. OHL had better D and better goaltending, hands down. (Although arguably they didn't need either as much as the Q did, with Radulov out). You could perhaps argue the talent at forward either way, but I would still take Richards, Perry, Carter, Stewart miles ahead of Bernier, Pouliot, or Roussin. (Bernier might be close, at least, but not the others).

Maybe we should make this tournament a round-robin, like the Mem Cup, with Russia, OHL, QMJHL, and WHL all playing against eachother. :)

Edit: Going back to the original post by nmk... oh yeah... well, the Q was better than Russia, top to bottom, I agree. And the O was better than the Q, and I sort of kind of think the W will be best of all. FWIW.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Blind Gardien said:
Me too. OHL had better D and better goaltending, hands down. (Although arguably they didn't need either as much as the Q did, with Radulov out). You could perhaps argue the talent at forward either way, but I would still take Richards, Perry, Carter, Stewart miles ahead of Bernier, Pouliot, or Roussin. (Bernier might be close, at least, but not the others).

Maybe we should make this tournament a round-robin, like the Mem Cup, with Russia, OHL, QMJHL, and WHL all playing against eachother. :)

Edit: Going back to the original post by nmk... oh yeah... well, the Q was better than Russia, top to bottom, I agree. And the O was better than the Q, and I sort of kind of think the W will be best of all. FWIW.

oh, i agree. i wasn't saying that the Q team was better than the OHL team...just that the Q team was better than the RUSSIAN team, from about the second line down. I think that the Russians' only chances rested on a hot goalie(which they had in Khudobin) and a dynamic scorer(Which they still have in Voloshenko, but lost a more dangerous threat in Radulov). I'm fairly impressed that the OHL games were as close as they were.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Blind Gardien said:
And the O was better than the Q, and I sort of kind of think the W will be best of all. FWIW.

I'm not conviced at all... But Khodubin between the pipes against the O and add Radulov and you get a whole new scheme. That, and the fact the Crosby didn't played (he was a part of that team, he just couldn't play) change things considerably.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
i watched a good part of the game last night and i have 2 thoughts:

1. the Pouliot goal should not have counted. The O guy (think it was Richards) clearly ran the goalie and the dman didn't even touch him.

2. the O looked very strong. Good job :yo:

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
hellz yeah.
i went to the game and it was so badly OFFICIATED!
come on, three in the penalty box most of the 3rd decisive period ?
so biased.

whatever they called russians on they never called the canadians on.

complete BS

anyway, Voloshenko is mr. clutch :)

nomorekids said:
i kind of lost interest when the russians lost a few of their best players, notably their goalie and best scorer. it kind of reverted back to the farce of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad