GDT: Game #4 | LEAFS @ STARS | Tues, Oct 9, 2018 @ 8:30 PM EST | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
if carrick/polak look better on another team, that's either an indictment of Babcock's "system", or of leaf fans'/media's objectivity.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
“In terms of predictability, it helps me, playing and talking to Roman,” said Carrick, who was only aboard for two practices before the season began where Polak was a Day One camper.

"Okay Roman! who wants to blast it off the boards for an icing, me or you buddy???"

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Connor Carrick - Roman Polak​
giphy.gif

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
if carrick/polak look better on another team, that's either an indictment of Babcock's "system", or of leaf fans'/media's objectivity.

Carrick's managed three secondary assists. Let's not start calling him Bobby Orr all of a sudden.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wouldn’t mind having brown on the fourth line and Ennis with Leivo and Kadri, to kickstart some offence there.
Fourth line can become checking line with Aj, Linhold and Brown.

That is hoping Ennis can create something similar to the preseason

Ennis is fine on the 4th line. It is still early, but 4th line minutes look appropriate for him right now. I'd argue he's been the Leafs' worst forward by a decent margin, even with Brown and Johnsson having less than inspiring starts. At least there have been bright spots with them. I have not really seen much out of Ennis at all, and considering he's on the shortest leash and was given Matthews to start (which he seemingly lost quite fast based on his play), I would say he has not done anything to earn more than a 4th line role. Gauthier or Holl (who does have experience on the RW) may even start to take him out of the lineup altogether if he does not start showing something.

You have got to give the Kadri line some time to gel. This is only the 4th game, and there are no plans for this line to change once Nylander comes back (unlike Ennis on Matthews' wing). The systems just need to tighten up to reduce mistakes, because that's what is killing us the most right now. If this coaching staff is worth half their money, that'll improve with time.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ozhiganov will probably be in......

As much as I think it is far too soon to give up on Ozhiganov, Marincin had a pretty strong game in Chicago. I am surprised Babcock did not give him another game.

However here's hoping Ozhiganov can play well enough to earn more than 13 minutes tonight. They need to unload his cannon.

Reactions: PuckMagi

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
As much as I think it is far too soon to give up on Ozhiganov, Marincin had a pretty strong game in Chicago. I am surprised Babcock did not give him another game.

However here's hoping Ozhiganov can play well enough to earn more than 13 minutes tonight. They need to unload his cannon.

He needs to play like Hyman :sarcasm:

Reactions: Volcanologist

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

I wouldn't worry about it, they scouted Ozhiganov all last season and have invested in getting him here. they like him a lot and he's going to play.

Not worried about the odd decent game from Marty Marooch blocking any of that.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I don’t know if this is a hot take or whatever, but it’s been shows that QoT impacts players around 5 times as much as QoC does. If we went with a top pair of Reilly - Dermott I honestly do think a lot of our defensive issues would be solved. Dermott’s game would suffer a little by the increase competition, but the increase in the quality of his partner would more than compensate for it. Same goes for Rielly. By most metrics right now Dermott is a second pairing guy, but maybe playing Rielly could evalate him to top?

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hoping Anderson has a bounce back game after handing the Sens those points last time.

Dallas has been outplayed through their first two games but Bishop has been a rock back there.

Will he be able to stop the leagues best offense so far?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don’t know if this is a hot take or whatever, but it’s been shows that QoT impacts players around 5 times as much as QoC does. If we went with a top pair of Reilly - Dermott I honestly do think a lot of our defensive issues would be solved. Dermott’s game would suffer a little by the increase competition, but the increase in the quality of his partner would more than compensate for it. Same goes for Rielly. By most metrics right now Dermott is a second pairing guy, but maybe playing Rielly could evalate him to top?
Yeah. QoC might mean more on a per minute-basis, but you simply spend so much more time on the ice with your partner compared to the different levels of opposition. Playing 20 minutes per game with Rielly weighs more than getting 10 minutes against comparable talents on the other side.

Dermott is said to be almost as good on the right side. I would most definitely have him up there over Hainsey. I would also rather go with Gardiner - Rielly as top pairing over what we do now.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Yeah. QoC might mean more on a per minute-basis, but you simply spend so much more time on the ice with your partner compared to the different levels of opposition. Playing 20 minutes per game with Rielly weighs more than getting 10 minutes against comparable talents on the other side.

Dermott is said to be almost as good on the right side. I would most definitely have him up there over Hainsey. I would also rather go with Gardiner - Rielly as top pairing over what we do now.
Yea, my problem with Hainsey and Rielly is a lot of plays just end up dead due to Hainsey, because he just isn’t as talented as everyone else he plays with. There was a good article in the Athletic last week that showed him having the puck at the point with Marner to his right and Rielly to his left and a defending coming to pressure him from the slot. Instead of passing it to either Marner or Rielly, he made the safe play and just dumped it into the corner, but with Hyman and Tavares both battling in front of the net neither of them could get to it in time. He had the option of passing it, to either Marner or Rielly or shooting it and hoping for a tip from Tavares or Hyman but he just didn’t have the awareness to make either of those plays under pressure, which isn’t his fault, he’s just not that kind of player. Someone like Dermott could have done either of those two options.

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad