GDT: Game 4: Jackets v Ducks | 7 pm 10/11/19 | Nationwide Arena

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Is there any chance Bemström will return to Sweden? He'd likely be our #1 RW playing next to Patrik Berglund or Jacob Josefsson and be given big minutes if he can continue his improvements from last season.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, the negative Korpisalo comments after this game are laughable. Hopefully, Torts makes the correct decision and starts him again tonight.

Bjorkstrand (and Texier) should be getting all the ice time and chances that Nyquist and Atkinson are getting, and both guys should be seeing time on the 1PP over Wennberg, who shouldn't even be dressing let alone playing on the PP. I've had ENOUGH of the awareness. I'd prefer Dalpe, Dubinsky or Sedlak, and I'm serious.

Should probably put 1 of Bjorkstrand/Texier with Jenner and Foligno, and the other with Dubois and Atkinson/Nyquist. Give Nash time with Bemstrom and Nyquist/Atkinson.

And I'd like to see Kukan in for Nutivaara.

If half of the posts the CBJ has hit this year go in, all the negative chicken little BS isn't able to be spoken. The team has actually played quite well for most of the year. Much of the PIT game should quite literally be ignored. We have essentially a new player on each offensive line, rookies or not it takes time to gel and to gain chemistry.

Whatever, as I've said this year already, just like the past few years, some of you guys are setting yourselves up for a "long season" for yourselves on ole HF boards that could have been avoided with a little bit more respect for the players and team.

The unsustainable wins WILL come soon enough.....

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
4 games in, and it’s the same ole same ole . No offensive structure . Torts whole offensive gameplan is to get it deep, dig it out , throw it to the point , and pray a shot gets through . So yeah , we’re generating shot opportunities, but almost all of them are easy saves , or the crossbar . We hear all week I have to let the young guys play , and yet Milano (who has been one of our best forwards), Bemstrom, Lilja are getting 7-9 minutes per game . That’s the problem with Torts , he’s all talk . You have to play these kids , their ceilings are much higher than throwing Wennberg out there 20 minutes a night . Same with Texier , he should be playing 20 minutes every night . Kid is electric, and is being misused .

Serious question, and maybe it’s for the FireTorts Thread , but what young coaches are out there that will be considered for the job when it opens up ? We all know that Jarmo has to have a list of guys , as Gms have to be prepared for anything , and with the young guys on the team , obviously it will have to be someone that has a pedigree of developing young talent . A move that Jarmo would seem to make would be someone like Rikard Grönborg . He would be the first European Nhl coach . Not sure if Sheldon Keefe would leave Toronto , but he would be at the top of my list , and with the team Toronto has , I can’t see Babcock being replaced anytime soon .

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Just don’t understand how Milano can flash almost every shift he’s out there , and gets 9 minutes of ice time . Aside from Texier , no one looks dangerous with the puck aside from Milano

One bad habit Milano has is he stays out too long on his shifts. You want to piss off a coach, stay out too long. He did it at least twice last night. He is playing better than last year, but he still has his issues. Milano and Bemstrom had about the same ice time and Bemstrom had 3 more shifts. Special teams can impact length of shifts, but no other forward in the bottom half of the line up had an average length of shift like Milano.

Reactions: thebus88

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Is there any chance Bemström will return to Sweden? He'd likely be our #1 RW playing next to Patrik Berglund or Jacob Josefsson and be given big minutes if he can continue his improvements from last season.
Don't know what's going to happen, but he should return to Sweden in case he doesn't want to go to the AHL (going to AHL would be the best thing for him). He's the only player clearly not NHL quality in the lineup. The game is just too fast for him. His skating seems good enough, but he can't make a pass to save his life and he can't get to positions to show off that high-end shot of his. It's somewhat disappointing and I do wonder about his hockey sense going forward, but of course he's still very young so we'll see.

They might keep him for 10 games just to strategically burn the first year and then send him back. Or not. But he's playing in the wrong league right now.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am not trying to be negative. This is an honest question: has anyone seen Bemstrom do anything to deserve any time on the ice at all? I watched him quite a bit last nite. And he does skate around. But I did not see any strong defense. I did not see him getting into the "high scoring areas" where he is supposed to excel. I did not see any sharp passing. I just did not see him do much of anything. Maybe I picked the wrong game to watch him. But I am wondering what he is doing here other than being Jarmo's newest pet.

And Nyquist? Seriously, he seems to get knocked off the puck more easily than Sonny Milano at his worst. I know he is new here and maybe is trying to find his game. I hope he finds it soon.

More ice time please for Milano, Texiera and Bjork.

And I am not going to make any references using the name Pooh to describe Wennberg, at least for awhile. For the first time in 3 years he is out there trying to make something happen. So far he has not succeeded. But he gets more time to see what he can do.

I really like Gavrikov. A lot. He makes a strong second pairing with Savard.

Murray and Nutti? Eh. Murray has fallen rather quickly from first pairing to 3rd pairing.

I suspect moves are going to need to be made sooner rather than later. But we will see.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Don't know what's going to happen, but he should return to Sweden in case he doesn't want to go to the AHL (going to AHL would be the best thing for him). He's the only player clearly not NHL quality in the lineup. The game is just too fast for him. His skating seems good enough, but he can't make a pass to save his life and he can't get to positions to show off that high-end shot of his. It's somewhat disappointing and I do wonder about his hockey sense going forward, but of course he's still very young so we'll see.

They might keep him for 10 games just to strategically burn the first year and then send him back. Or not. But he's playing in the wrong league right now.

He's under contract in Sweden so AHL isn't a possibility unless Columbus and Djurgården can work out some sort of fee maybe. We're very weak at RW though and desperately need someone.

For what it's worth my view of his hockey sense is different. Atleast in terms of reading the game and positioning himself on the ice. But maybe the NHL is still happening to fast for him

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I am not trying to be negative. This is an honest question: has anyone seen Bemstrom do anything to deserve any time on the ice at all? I watched him quite a bit last nite. And he does skate around. But I did not see any strong defense. I did not see him getting into the "high scoring areas" where he is supposed to excel. I did not see any sharp passing. I just did not see him do much of anything. Maybe I picked the wrong game to watch him. But I am wondering what he is doing here other than being Jarmo's newest pet.

And Nyquist? Seriously, he seems to get knocked off the puck more easily than Sonny Milano at his worst. I know he is new here and maybe is trying to find his game. I hope he finds it soon.

And I am not going to make any references using the name Pooh to describe Wennberg, at least for awhile. For the first time in 3 years he is out there trying to make something happen. So far he has not succeeded. But he gets more time to see what he can do.

Murray and Nutti? Eh. Murray has fallen rather quickly from first pairing to 3rd pairing.

I suspect moves are going to need to be made sooner rather than later. But we will see.

Here’s the thing , put Bemstrom in situations to succeed . Personally I don’t think he’s looked that Bad , but The limited times they have put him on the powerplay , we rarely get the puck set up . I think Bemstrom will be fine , he’s played 4 NHL games . I also wonder how long before Texier is moved to center . Wennberg is just never going to be a #2C, which leaves you with Boone . Boone is definitely quicker this year, but if your team is Pld, Jenner down the middle , your going nowhere . Honestly, I think our future consists of Texier being our #1 c , and Pld our #2c , Jenner our 3rd line C , and Wennberg either bought out , or playing 4c. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but Texier just appears to be special, but I think playing in Torts non offensive system/ structure is hurting a lot of the skill players production . What we saw with Anaheim last night is Torts hockey, where the heavy players thrive .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think there is a decent chance yes, he's overmatched at the moment. I'm not sure if he wouldn't go to the AHL though, we've seen players go there before despite SHL contracts.

I have precisely zero worries about Bemstrom's hockey sense. This is a timing / tactical issue that he'll figure out. I think the AHL would be the best place for that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I could see Texiera being moved to center. He does seem to have an awareness of everything that is going on around him on the ice.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I think there is a decent chance yes, he's overmatched at the moment. I'm not sure if he wouldn't go to the AHL though, we've seen players go there before despite SHL contracts.

Can't be that many drafted outside the first round? First rounders are free to play where ever but Columbus would need the green light from Djurgården for him to play in AHL.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It was his worst game, so a little bit unrepresentative. But he had about one nice shot per game in the other games, and it's questionable whether that's enough to keep him up here. The more telling thing is that Torts is obviously not going out of his way to get the kid more minutes right now. Less than 10 mins of ice time is a good sign that this is a short audition for the kid.

Nyquist getting pushed off the puck is not a new thing. His effectiveness is darting around the gaps in coverage, perhaps the issue is that we're not making enough of those gaps for him to do his job.

Agreed on Gavrikov. We know what Murray can do so I'm not worried about a meh start for him. Nuti though hasn't been producing since the early part of last year, and he's been beat wide a couple times, which I don't remember happening much before.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Can't be that many drafted outside the first round? First rounders are free to play where ever but Columbus would need the green light from Djurgården for him to play in AHL.

Okay I'll take your word for it. I was unaware there was a different rule for 1st rounders.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Okay I'll take your word for it. I was unaware there was a different rule for 1st rounders.

I don't think Djurgården would be impoissible to deal with though, specially if AHL would be Bemströms prefered destination. It's important to keep good relations with prospects in case they would like to return one day. However not sure they would give him up for nothing, he's probably much cheaper than what bringing in a similar player would be

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
4 games in, and it’s the same ole same ole . No offensive structure . Torts whole offensive gameplan is to get it deep, dig it out , throw it to the point , and pray a shot gets through . So yeah , we’re generating shot opportunities, but almost all of them are easy saves , or the crossbar . We hear all week I have to let the young guys play , and yet Milano (who has been one of our best forwards), Bemstrom, Lilja are getting 7-9 minutes per game . That’s the problem with Torts , he’s all talk . You have to play these kids , their ceilings are much higher than throwing Wennberg out there 20 minutes a night . Same with Texier , he should be playing 20 minutes every night . Kid is electric, and is being misused .

The strategy of giving rookies less ice time is what should be going on. Texier is getting over 15 minutes TOI, but he's a little further down the learning curve relative to Bemstrom and Lilja due to his experience last season in the playoffs. 15 minutes is plenty of TOI for Texier right now. 9 or 10 minutes per game for the other two is just fine for their first four games.

The Wennberg issue is almost assuredly a Jarmo issue and not Torts doing. A more sensible GM would have bought out Wennberg this past summer and been done with this sorry situation. My instincts tell me that the agreed upon strategy of the front office and head coach was to give Wennberg every chance to succeed early on and then make a decision on what to do with him. I'm also pretty sure that if Torts would have had his druthers, #10 would have been in the rear view mirror of the CBJ after last summer's buyout period. It's a pivotal year in his contract deal as next summer is the last chance to buy him out for 1/3rd of his deal, so a big decision will have to be made. He's either going to sink or swim early. I hope. If he's getting 18 minutes per game after Thanksgiving and his productivity remains substandard, then the people responsible for keeping him this season and over playing him (Jarmo being primary in this) need to be shown the door.

I'll agree that Milano needs more minutes. It's a something or get off the pot deal with him as well. If he's going to be part of the plan going forward, then give him his 13-15 minutes per night and if not then send him to Cleveland or trade him or cut him and pay him his money.

Transition to the NHL is very hard for most players. Look at the past draft's consensus #1 pick Jack Hughes in New Jersey. He's having a very unkind initiation to the NHL. Playing a roster full of very young players and/or players with no prior NHL experience is a very dicey proposition in the NHL. The decision to do this in Columbus was made by the GM and not the coach.

Starting a season with 2 major question marks in net is not on the coach. Not one bit. Zero.

It's Jarmo who should be on the hot seat not Torts.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Also, the negative Korpisalo comments after this game are laughable. Hopefully, Torts makes the correct decision and starts him again tonight.

Bjorkstrand (and Texier) should be getting all the ice time and chances that Nyquist and Atkinson are getting, and both guys should be seeing time on the 1PP over Wennberg, who shouldn't even be dressing let alone playing on the PP. I've had ENOUGH of the awareness. I'd prefer Dalpe, Dubinsky or Sedlak, and I'm serious.

Should probably put 1 of Bjorkstrand/Texier with Jenner and Foligno, and the other with Dubois and Atkinson/Nyquist. Give Nash time with Bemstrom and Nyquist/Atkinson.

And I'd like to see Kukan in for Nutivaara.

Count me in for all of this.

Korpi stays in. More time for Tex/Bjork/Sonny. Nuti out. Dubi in for Wenny when he’s ready.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
One bad habit Milano has is he stays out too long on his shifts. You want to piss off a coach, stay out too long. He did it at least twice last night. He is playing better than last year, but he still has his issues. Milano and Bemstrom had about the same ice time and Bemstrom had 3 more shifts. Special teams can impact length of shifts, but no other forward in the bottom half of the line up had an average length of shift like Milano.
He stayed out too long on shifts in Cleveland also. There were times the guy to replace him would just stand on the bench while the rest of his line was on the ice. If Milano was heading for the bench and thought the puck was going back in the O-zone he would turn around and stay on the ice. It was very noticeable, and I am sure Madden said something about it without calling him out, but you knew he was talking about him.

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad