GDT: Game 4: Jackets v Ducks | 7 pm 10/11/19 | Nationwide Arena

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Yeah we can package the two guys from the press box to come up with some offensive help or go for a blockbuster sending ‘loyal’ Werenski away

I think it’d pretty much have to be him. Maybe Savard, although he’d probably return what we have a lot of already (i.e., a solid 2nd-line type, but not a game breaker). Z would be the only one that could get a first-liner back. Everyone else just wouldn’t return enough (or Seth Jones, which isn’t happening). But we have 8 top-6 D and 5 top-4 D, and can’t score to save our lives. Something has to give.

Reactions: thebus88

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I wonder if Jarmo is okay with tanking this year. Not a full rebuild, mind you, but more of a re-tool. Get a top-10 talent in the pipeline, and try to make a major run at someone next offseason via either trade or free agency (and possibly address goaltending then if need be).

I’m not a fan of this option, but may have to accept it.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Holtby isn’t having a great year so far and he’s on his last year of contract I believe, maybe we can roll the dice with him ?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I wonder if Jarmo is okay with tanking this year. Not a full rebuild, mind you, but more of a re-tool. Get a top-10 talent in the pipeline, and try to make a major run at someone next offseason via either trade or free agency (and possibly address goaltending then if need be).

i think this has been his plan since last trade deadline. He went all in because he knew this season would be atrocious. Tried to get a little good will from the fans first

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
i think this has been his plan since last trade deadline. He went all in because he knew this season would be atrocious. Tried to get a little good will from the fans first

I don’t know if he “knew” it’d be atrocious or was even hoping/planning to tank. I think he legit wasn’t sure, but was also okay to be in a position if things went south to have his first round pick and a lot of cap space for next year. He was hoping for a lot of things to go right (goaltending, Bemstrom, scoring by committee to pick up the Panarin slack, etc.) and it doesn’t look like they will this year. Which isn’t great, but not a horrible place to be, with the D in place, some good, but not elite young Fs, a deep goalie pipeline, etc. So add another top-10 F, try to make another big trade next offseason if you can, and sign a Lehner-type, if it comes to that.

Let me also say, however, it’s still EXTREMELY early, and we’ve played solid, even good, hockey at times. I wouldn’t be shocked if this team does find a way to sneak into the playoffs still. But they need some things to happen that haven’t up to this point, and very well may not this year.

ETA: I don’t think we (or he...) can afford 2-3 non-playoff seasons in a row though.

Reactions: Dumais

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Not to mention he would be able to hand pick his coach , that will actually utilize the skilled players he’s bringing in .

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Jarmo is a straight shooter
He said he would give the kids a chance
He is
He also said he can go get the help the team needs
I don’t doubt him
The question is how will he get what he needs and when will he do it?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Goaltending was the difference tonight

I was expecting to say that coming into the night, and ultimately Miller was really good. But I'd also give kudos to the Anaheim team defense. I only noticed one odd-man rush the entire night, on the Ducks PP when Jones was poke-checked by Miller. That's crazy stingy. Meanwhile the Jackets gave up two in a row in the second period and the Ducks scored on both of them. I don't think the Jackets played bad defensively and Korpi's night as a whole was decent. Not a good night for the Jackets forwards, but I'm not sure who is supposed to look good playing against sludgy team D like that. Maybe they would have sucked anyways, who knows.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was expecting to say that coming into the night, and ultimately Miller was really good. But I'd also give kudos to the Anaheim team defense. I only noticed one odd-man rush the entire night, on the Ducks PP when Jones was poke-checked by Miller. That's crazy stingy. Meanwhile the Jackets gave up two in a row in the second period and the Ducks scored on both of them. I don't think the Jackets played bad defensively and Korpi's night as a whole was decent. Not a good night for the Jackets forwards, but I'm not sure who is supposed to look good playing against sludgy team D like that. Maybe they would have sucked anyways, who knows.

for a team that boasts about its depth, not much was happening.

I thought PLD, Bjorkstrand, Milano (at times), and Texier (at times) looked good. On D I was fine with most guys, but Werenski got abused a few times.

Bemstrom is lost. Wennberg was pretty bad. And the Jenner/Foligno pairing missed Anderson. Overall, a bad loss because we outplayed them most of the game. Lack of talent, lack of finishing, and their goalie was better than ours by a decent margin.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t know if he “knew” it’d be atrocious or was even hoping/planning to tank. I think he legit wasn’t sure, but was also okay to be in a position if things went south to have his first round pick and a lot of cap space for next year. He was hoping for a lot of things to go right (goaltending, Bemstrom, scoring by committee to pick up the Panarin slack, etc.) and it doesn’t look like they will this year. Which isn’t great, but not a horrible place to be, with the D in place, some good, but not elite young Fs, a deep goalie pipeline, etc. So add another top-10 F, try to make another big trade next offseason if you can, and sign a Lehner-type, if it comes to that.

Let me also say, however, it’s still EXTREMELY early, and we’ve played solid, even good, hockey at times. I wouldn’t be shocked if this team does find a way to sneak into the playoffs still. But they need some things to happen that haven’t up to this point, and very well may not this year.

ETA: I don’t think we (or he...) can afford 2-3 non-playoff seasons in a row though.

I'm with you on the "EXTREMELY early" part. I'm not sure how badly the team needs anything at this point, although a top tier playmaker is still at the top of the list for me. Maybe a goalie.

I think if we need a new top forward or a new top goalie there's not much point in wasting a year and then getting one. The team, contrary to myth, is overloaded with young assets and there's no point in a rebuild or a retool. Just get what you need and play. The constraint is finding out what you really need (which is what the early part of this season is for, it seems), and then taking the time to find the right deal.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Just for the record the Panthers board has a 23 page GDT.

I’m not even considering they are more popular even on HFB
I'm sure they have a lot of new "fans" this year. Lots of wagons around the swampland down there..

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm with you on the "EXTREMELY early" part. I'm not sure how badly the team needs anything at this point, although a top tier playmaker is still at the top of the list for me. Maybe a goalie.

I think if we need a new top forward or a new top goalie there's not much point in wasting a year and then getting one. The team, contrary to myth, is overloaded with young assets and there's no point in a rebuild or a retool. Just get what you need and play. The constraint is finding out what you really need (which is what the early part of this season is for, it seems), and then taking the time to find the right deal.
Ideally it's a top tier playmaker who's signed for awhile... So we don't go through Bread 2.0

Is Connor that guy? I remember you said you watch the Jets so figured you'd have a better idea..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ideally it's a top tier playmaker who's signed for awhile... So we don't go through Bread 2.0

Is Connor that guy? I remember you said you watch the Jets so figured you'd have a better idea..

Connor might be our new top forward, and his contract is perfect for the Jackets. His obvious talent though is more in the sick dangles and finishing department, and less so in playmaking. He might be a good upgrade in the playmaking department, I'm not sure, we don't get to see him try to originate plays for his line much because he plays with elite playmakers who take care of that stuff. My concern is he just gives us another Atkinson type, a bit better version of what we have.

Also if the plan is to help the team score more goals, I'd be very concerned about moving Werenski, a player that creates a lot of offense. Obviously if there's any prospect of moving lesser pieces for Connor or even Ehlers I'd jump all over it. Ehlers is even faster and he has a way of making plays - usually just by flying through the neutral zone and then carrying the puck at 100 mph a couple laps around the edge of the offensive end until the defense falls apart. It's not as imaginative as Panarin's approach but it works. I imagine that if there is a non-Werenski option to get Ehlers it would start with Savard and require a lot of value on top of that.

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->